Home

Get the Money!

This is a discussion on Get the Money! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Get the Money!

People always bash players for trying to get as much money as possible. People killed Crabtree for holding off and Brandon Marshall for behaving like a child(which I thought was dumb and felt he should have held-out instead) ,but the bottomline is this is a very phyiscal game and a career can be ended in a split second.

We have seen Javon Walker and now Leon Washington do the "honorable" thing. Only to hurt themselves and not get paid. This is a business and GM and Owners will do whats best for them not the player and players should do the same.

Just like college players should leave if they are expected to be a top pick. At any positition! I am not impressed at all with Sam Bradford and I dont think he will make it ,but you get all the chances in the world as a top 5 pick to succeed than as a late 1st rounder or early 2nd like he will be now(Ask JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith). Coming back may ruin his pro career before it even started and for what?

At the end of the day GET THE MONEY 1st ask question later!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Get the Money!

The problem is Crabtree was holding out because he didn't want to be paid the amount of money that goes with the #10 pick or whatever he was. He wanted to be paid as the #1 WR despite being the #2 WR taken. And you say take the money when you can..the dude was being offered like 20 mil or whatever. You really think it was necessary to hold out for 1/3 of the season to get like 1 mil more or whatever he ended up getting?

I understand if someone comes into the league as a late round pick and is getting paid like 500k or something and they blossom into a stud. I would understand this guy holding out to get paid 5+ mil a year when he's only making 500 grand or whatever, but the 49ers were gonna pay Crabtree millions and it wasn't good enough for him.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
The problem is Crabtree was holding out because he didn't want to be paid the amount of money that goes with the #10 pick or whatever he was. He wanted to be paid as the #1 WR despite being the #2 WR taken. And you say take the money when you can..the dude was being offered like 20 mil or whatever. You really think it was necessary to hold out for 1/3 of the season to get like 1 mil more or whatever he ended up getting?

I understand if someone comes into the league as a late round pick and is getting paid like 500k or something and they blossom into a stud. I would understand this guy holding out to get paid 5+ mil a year when he's only making 500 grand or whatever, but the 49ers were gonna pay Crabtree millions and it wasn't good enough for him.
Absolutely I think he should have done what he felt was best. There is no rule that states you have to be paid where your drafted! He was a top 3 talent(in his mind) and want to be paid like a guy he knew(in his mind) that he was better than @ the 7th pick. He wasnt officially a 49er until he signed! I know its not the popular thing but nobody will care if you get hurt so you cant care about what other people think.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #4

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

He did all that waiting only to get a extra million than he was supposed to get. Now to regular people thats a hell of alot more than it sounds to Crabtree/Agent. IMO it wasn't worth it to wait that long just to get a measly extra million garenteed. I'm all for the money but, when you get injured your a liability coming into the NFL and your stock drops.

I think its pretty safe to say Crabtree/Agent wanted more than just a extra million garenteed. In the end Crabtree pretty much lost and the organization won. It was a stupid idea because, Crabtree should take the money where he was drafted at. If he was drafted higher then by all means go all out but, he wasn't he was a #10 (which is still high) in the draft and he should be paid like it (which he still is).
Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
He did all that waiting only to get a extra million than he was supposed to get. Now to regular people thats a hell of alot more than it sounds to Crabtree/Agent. IMO it wasn't worth it to wait that long just to get a measly extra million garenteed. I'm all for the money but, when you get injured your a liability coming into the NFL and your stock drops.

I think its pretty safe to say Crabtree/Agent wanted more than just a extra million garenteed. In the end Crabtree pretty much lost and the organization won. It was a stupid idea because, Crabtree should take the money where he was drafted at. If he was drafted higher then by all means go all out but, he wasn't he was a #10 (which is still high) in the draft and he should be paid like it (which he still is).
While I agree he didnt get what he wanted and it was an L for the Crabtree camp. I disagree that he shouldnt have tried to get paid like the 7th pick. We have seen number 3 picks paid like number 1 picks before. And there is no rules so if you can get it you should. He tried he failed.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Absolutely I think he should have done what he felt was best. There is no rule that states you have to be paid where your drafted! He was a top 3 talent(in his mind) and want to be paid like a guy he knew(in his mind) that he was better than @ the 7th pick. He wasnt officially a 49er until he signed! I know its not the popular thing but nobody will care if you get hurt so you cant care about what other people think.
There isn't an official rule for slotting pay, but the Niners had to stand up to Crabtree and Eugene Parker for the good of the league. If Crabtree had gotten paid like the first WR taken in the draft then that sets a precedent of pay based on predraft hype rather than actual draft position. Any rookie that thinks he should've been drafted higher could holdout with impunity.

Brandon Marshall had every right to hold out because he was being paid like fourth round pick despite being a Pro Bowler.

Last edited by CW McGraw; 10-26-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
There isn't an official rule for slotting pay, but the Niners had to stand up to Crabtree and Eugene Parker for the good of the league. If Crabtree had gotten paid like the first WR taken in the draft then that sets a precedent of pay based on predraft hype rather than actual draft position. Any rookie that thinks he should've been drafted higher could holdout with impunity.
Thats not necessarily true! Player have been paid out of positition before and the system hasnt crashed yet.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Thats not necessarily true! Player have been paid out of positition before and the system hasnt crashed yet.
I cannot remember an instance where a player gets drafted lower than another play of the same position and got paid more than the higher pick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »