Home

Are the Minnesota Vikings cursed?

This is a discussion on Are the Minnesota Vikings cursed? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Are the Minnesota Vikings cursed?

They have had some great teams and great players during their history, but never championships. I mean at least the Bills won a championship back in AFL days. So do u thing the Vikings are cursed?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Are the Minnesota Vikings cursed?

lol.. no
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 47

Says you revis. Yes they are cursed! At least that is what I think and it helps me sleep at night too.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

They won the 1969 NFL Championship so I guess you can count that even though they lost Super Bowl IV. It still counts them as winning the Championship since it was before the merger.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

Last edited by dickey1331; 06-02-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
They won the 1969 NFL Championship so I guess you can count that even though they lost Super Bowl IV. It still counts them as winning the Championship since it was before the merger.
Correct,

As for them being cursed? I don't really see it. The problem with the Vikes during Bud Grant's tenure is that they had a very good and more often then not awesome defense but they never really had the full package on offense. Fran Tarkenton was a great QB but more often then not the WRs were just "good" and while Chuck Foreman had great years he was never a truly DOMINANT RB. After Tarkenton there was Tommy Kramer who had good skill but had the unfortunate habit of throwing a bad INT at the worst possible time. That being said he was an middle tier QB who had some amazing stretches.

The other problem was that Bud Grant, for all his greatness as a disciplinarian and defensive coach was conservative often to a fault. He played everything by the book and rarely took "unnecessary" chances.

It was this style of football that became the hallmark of the Vikings for ages. It extended for the most part right through the entire Jerry Burns era though Burns opened up the playbook quite a bit but they were still slightly conservative compared to other teams who were going bombs away throughout the '80s. It was until Denny Green became coach in '93 that the Vikings' image and style of play really changed.

The Vikes have always fielded competitive teams and that's perhaps explains part of the reason they've never really broken through. Since 1980 they've only had one truly atrocious season (3-13 in '83) during Les Steckel's aborted run as coach. So they've never had to truly build through the draft. Remember Moss was a late 1st rounder and Culpepper was an 11th overall pick which meant they were bad the previous season but not so bad that they'd get a true "blue chip" pick.

In closing, if the Vikes are to break the glass ceiling they need a 2-4 year run of 4 or 5 win seasons.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Correct,

As for them being cursed? I don't really see it. The problem with the Vikes during Bud Grant's tenure is that they had a very good and more often then not awesome defense but they never really had the full package on offense. Fran Tarkenton was a great QB but more often then not the WRs were just "good" and while Chuck Foreman had great years he was never a truly DOMINANT RB. After Tarkenton there was Tommy Kramer who had good skill but had the unfortunate habit of throwing a bad INT at the worst possible time. That being said he was an middle tier QB who had some amazing stretches.

The other problem was that Bud Grant, for all his greatness as a disciplinarian and defensive coach was conservative often to a fault. He played everything by the book and rarely took "unnecessary" chances.

It was this style of football that became the hallmark of the Vikings for ages. It extended for the most part right through the entire Jerry Burns era though Burns opened up the playbook quite a bit but they were still slightly conservative compared to other teams who were going bombs away throughout the '80s. It was until Denny Green became coach in '93 that the Vikings' image and style of play really changed.

The Vikes have always fielded competitive teams and that's perhaps explains part of the reason they've never really broken through. Since 1980 they've only had one truly atrocious season (3-13 in '83) during Les Steckel's aborted run as coach. So they've never had to truly build through the draft. Remember Moss was a late 1st rounder and Culpepper was an 11th overall pick which meant they were bad the previous season but not so bad that they'd get a true "blue chip" pick.

In closing, if the Vikes are to break the glass ceiling they need a 2-4 year run of 4 or 5 win seasons.

The 2001 & 2002 season were bad.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Those were bad years but I said "truly atrocious seasons". 5 and 6 win seasons are pretty bad but not pathetically so.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Says you revis. Yes they are cursed! At least that is what I think and it helps me sleep at night too.
I guess whatever helps you sleep at night. I don't really believe in curses or anything of that nature anyways soo...
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »