Home

John Fox not returning to Carolina.

This is a discussion on John Fox not returning to Carolina. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37
John Fox not returning to Carolina.

Not really surprising

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...=breaking_news

Quote:
The contracts of Carolina Panthers coach John Fox and his staff will not be renewed after this season, the team announced Friday.

"I told John today that I appreciate everything he has done for us over the last nine years, but as happens in this business, it is time for both sides to move in different directions," Panthers owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. "While we haven't accomplished all of the goals we set as an organization when we signed him in 2002, we have certainly had our share of high moments -- the Super Bowl, two NFC Championship games, and a division title in 2008. We wish John and his family the best going forward."

Fox's tenure with Carolina will conclude Sunday, when the Panthers close the regular season against the Atlanta Falcons. Fox has coached the Panthers for the past nine seasons, compiling a 73-70 regular-season record and a 78-73 overall mark through last week's loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I appreciate the opportunity Mr. Richardson gave me to be a head coach in the National Football League nine years ago and to be a part of this organization," Fox said in a statement. "I have formed many close relationships and I have many great memories. I particularly want to thank the players for their efforts throughout the years. Working with so many great people has been a rewarding experience."

In a light atmosphere full of smiles and laughs, the Panthers held their final full practice under Fox on Friday, with the coach insisting he has been preparing for the end of his run with the team for about two years.

The last workout at the Panthers' practice complex was an odd scene, with the Meineke Car Care Bowl about to kick off just a few steps away on the team's home field. Fox gathered the players around him shortly before noon, with a burst of laughter heard from players as they broke toward the locker room.

The team will hold a walkthrough Saturday before facing the Falcons.

"It's been a lot of great memories, a lot of fond memories, a lot of great relationships and something I'll cherish forever," Fox told reporters. "Now (I'll) just embark on the next chapter."

Fox was first denied a contract extension after the 2008 season. He entered the last year of his deal this fall after the Panthers began a youth movement that has left them an NFL-worst 2-13.

"It's not new," Fox said of his impending departure. "It's something I've been preparing for actually for a couple of years."

A rift had developed between Fox and Richardson since a 33-13 loss to the Arizona Cardinals in Carolina's last playoff game in January 2009.

The Panthers have never posted consecutive winning seasons under Fox, who is making more than $6 million this season, and have clinched the league's worst record heading into the Week 17.

Still, many players have come out in support of Fox, known as tough but also a player's coach.

"I'll say this," Fox said before hustling inside, "these guys have stayed enthusiastic and have continued to work very hard all season."

The Panthers will be without cornerback Chris Gamble (ankle), fullback Tony Fiammetta (ankle) and defensive tackle Ed Johnson (knee) against the Falcons. Wide receiver Steve Smith (calf) is questionable after missing practice Friday
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: John Fox, fired.

Not really a surprise and not exactly him being fired.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
LETS GO METS!!!

Sheamazin's Arena

OVR: 29

Wouldnt be suprised if Tom Coughlin is fired the Giants look to bring Fox in as their new HC.
NCAAF: Rutgers Scarlet Knights/Michigan Wolverines
NCAAB: Michigan Wolverines
Old 12-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

It's going to be an interesting off-season for the Panthers. There are some important personnel decisions to make (Deangelo's contract, possibly trading JStew and Steve, sticking with Jimmy or drafting another QB) so hopefully they can get a new coach in quickly and get things moving. I don't think the Panthers are far off from being a playoff contender again, although the NFC South may be the toughest division in football, so this off-season could set them up nicely for the future if they make smart decisions
Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheamazin
Wouldnt be suprised if Tom Coughlin is fired the Giants look to bring Fox in as their new HC.
I dont understand this why would they hire a guy who was just fired for a guy who won a superbowl a few years ago and still has a winning record.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
LETS GO METS!!!

Sheamazin's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: John Fox not returning to Carolina.

He wasnt fired. His contract is up. And have you watched what has happened to the Giants the last couple of years? You cant fire the players. So it would be Coughlin going if they collapse again.

Fox has ties to the Giants and had a good relationship with the Giants ownership.
NCAAF: Rutgers Scarlet Knights/Michigan Wolverines
NCAAB: Michigan Wolverines
Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Not surprising, I think we all knew it was time.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I read an interesting theory earlier since Fox and Sean Payton are good friends that if Gregg Williams was to maybe find another HC job or just for some reason leave, that SP might convince Fox to come to the Saints as a D-Coord

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »