Home

Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated"

This is a discussion on Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated" within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated"

I agree with you Doc though I sense it more with PK Subban because with him it's not only the media that's ganged up on him but the coach and his teammates seem to hate the guy. I remember the whole celebrating thing with Carey Price and I thought that was a load of crap that people were criticizing him for that. Subban is a guy who has fun and shows it yet everyone makes comments about how he's a "me me me" kind of player and needs to show respect.

We've seen this with some of the Russian born players too and it really baffles me. Don't they want players with personality and flair to their game? This is why marketing the NHL in the US is incredibly hard because they're all supposed to be these saintly humble guys when as you say a good amount of young Canadian born players display worse behavior that gets little to no airplay from the media.

As for Kane, I think he needs to shut his mouth as I think a lot of the flak he's getting is deserved but perhaps there is a touch of racism there. I don't exactly know what kind of comments he's getting but i'm sure the racial component is in there.

Nonetheless the Jets situation is a bit unique as that entire roster is dysfunctional. Those guys can't seem to handle any pressure whatsoever and you have players pointing fingers at each other, their coach and the media. So it doesn't surprise me that Kane has gone out and played the race card to explain why he's getting so much criticism.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Canadian players are supposed to be humble? Apparently the women's team missed the memo when they came back out on the ice in uniform after winning 2010 gold smoking cigars and drinking beer.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Canadian players are supposed to be humble? Apparently the women's team missed the memo when they came back out on the ice in uniform after winning 2010 gold smoking cigars and drinking beer.
IIRC the girls got some flak for that from some segments of the Canadian media.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
IIRC the girls got some flak for that from some segments of the Canadian media.
I'm sure they did, and I really didn't think it was disrespectful just to be clear. It's not like they did it in front of the US team.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Icon9 Re: Evander Kane says "criticism is racially motivated"

I don't recall any "racially motivated" complaints towards Jarome Iginla. Nothing but good has been said about him but he's not doing those sorts of things is he?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
I don't recall any "racially motivated" complaints towards Jarome Iginla. Nothing but good has been said about him but he's not doing those sorts of things is he?
I've never heard anything bad about Iginla, either. But I definitely have heard people talk about "those sorts of things" (ie, the sorts of things that NBA players might say or do) with a racial tinge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
I've never heard anything bad about Iginla, either. But I definitely have heard people talk about "those sorts of things" (ie, the sorts of things that NBA players might say or do) with a racial tinge.
Kane has swag and I guess it doesn't go over well in Winnipeg as well as it did in Atlanta which makes sense. But if he is being true to himself, they need to either deal with it or move him. I never heard his name atttached to any kind of crime, DUI, drugs, etc. Allot of teams would take him if they are willing to deal him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Kane has swag and I guess it doesn't go over well in Winnipeg as well as it did in Atlanta which makes sense. But if he is being true to himself, they need to either deal with it or move him. I never heard his name atttached to any kind of crime, DUI, drugs, etc. Allot of teams would take him if they are willing to deal him.
I haven't heard anything illegal he's done, he just happens to not be a very popular person in Winnipeg. If some of the things the media reports are true then he's not the nicest of guys, and when you're a minority people make it a bigger deal than it is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »