Home

MLB '08: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '08: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #105
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: MLB '08: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Thanks. I can't believe I misplaced my dictionary. Thank God you were there to rescue me. All of a sudden, OOTP makes sense. Whew!
LOL, that's what I'm here for, to help you out. No problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #106
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
I really hate when people try to compare games like The Show to OOTP. They are two completely different games, and I'm hard-pressed to actually call OOTP a "game". For a console baseball game WITH GRAPHICS, The Show is a terrific simulation that plays an incredible game of baseball. I'd love to know how a text-based generator can be considered a "simulation" of anything, other than reading. No thanks. Nothing makes you feel more on the *outside* of a sport than a game where you have to read everything and see nothing. Heck, even GM's that watch from the press box see more action than people "playing" OOTP. Granted, I admire it's statistical engine, but it's not a simulation. It's a stat generator, and nothing more. Now that's what I call fun! You said he'd be playing a realistic game of baseball. I fail to see where playing is actually involved.

If anything, I'd love to see The Show incorporate the guys from OOTP into the development process and mold the two games.
This argument is ridiculous. The best thing said was The Show and OOTP getting together. Now that's a good idea. You could only hope someone will get around to doing just that. Imagine how much better mlb 09, 10, 11 or whatever would be then.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #107
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap08
This argument is ridiculous. The best thing said was The Show and OOTP getting together. Now that's a good idea. You could only hope someone will get around to doing just that. Imagine how much better mlb 09, 10, 11 or whatever would be then.
Agreed. And all I was saying is...I have to have the immersion of the graphics too, so I really dislike when people snap back at someone who thinks The Show is a good simulation by suggesting they go play OOTP. That's ridiculous! They are two completely different types of games, and OOTP is not going to appeal to very many people , in my opinion. I know there are people that enjoy OOTP, and that's fine. To each his own. Personally, I think it's about as exciting as watching grass grow. Even as a Manage Only guy, I have to feel like I'm on the field or in the dugout watching the game and/or calling the shots. To me, OOTP is the equivalent of sitting at home, sipping coffee and reading box scores. Just not my thing. OOTP needs to team up with a game like The Show to help produce a title that would be absolutely legendary.

Last edited by SoxChamp; 03-31-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #108
Rookie

OVR: 2

the show is awesome!

Get Great Daily Fantasy Lineup Tips - Free 14 Day Trial

CompChompp Free Trial

Ask me fantasy questions/advice on twitter @terribaddd
Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #109
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Agreed. And all I was saying is...I have to have the immersion of the graphics too, so I really dislike when people snap back at someone who thinks The Show is a good simulation by suggesting they go play OOTP. That's ridiculous! They are two completely different types of games, and OOTP is not going to appeal to very many people , in my opinion. I know there are people that enjoy OOTP, and that's fine. To each his own. Personally, I think it's about as exciting as watching grass grow. Even as a Manage Only guy, I have to feel like I'm on the field or in the dugout watching the game and/or calling the shots. To me, OOTP is the equivalent of sitting at home, sipping coffee and reading box scores. Just not my thing. OOTP needs to team up with a game like The Show to help produce a title that would be absolutely legendary.
There was another thread -- I can't remember what OS forum it was -- where I suggested EXACTLY what you are suggesting. I don't recall you responding to my suggestion in that thread. Hmm....
Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #110
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonytheclown
There was another thread -- I can't remember what OS forum it was -- where I suggested EXACTLY what you are suggesting. I don't recall you responding to my suggestion in that thread. Hmm....
Maybe because I didn't read it?

What's your point? There's alot that goes on here. I can't follow all of it, nor can I respond to every person that makes a decent comment. I'd love a better stat engine, but OOTP in it's current form is not for me.

Last edited by SoxChamp; 04-05-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #111
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonytheclown
You think that The Show is a simulation?
What do you call it?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 04-06-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #112
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
What do you call it?
yeah man it's insane. OTTP is like nethack for the sports gamer. Whoopee! i rather play something I can actuall feel is a game instead of imaginary dots numbers etc...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »