Home

Fight Night Round 4 Announced, Mike Tyson Featured

This is a discussion on Fight Night Round 4 Announced, Mike Tyson Featured within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: EA Sports Announces Fight Night: Round 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I give Ali all the credit in the world.....except the smarts to know when to quit. I wouldn't consider foreman or frazier to be similar in any way to tyson. Just because they were the feared surly fighters of their day doesn't mean they are the same fighters. As i said, Tyson was a phenomenon after a great decade of 70's heavyweight boxing. He was something the world had never seen.....even after all those greats. And Holyfield didn't pick him apart in that first fight, he took his shots too. And let's not forget that the Tyson Holyfield faced was not Tyson in his prime. It was post-prison era Tyson. Again, in my opinion, Ali is unconcsious inside of 4 rounds facing a late 80's era Tyson.

And in that clip Ali's opponent isn't advancing on him. He's keeping his distance throwing those shots. Those moves would never work with a young Tyson coming at him frothing at the mouth looking for the deathblow.
you have ali going down and out in four and yet you claim to give him credit???

please stop with the tyson being past his prime argument...as i said, tyson had 8 fights prior to facing holyfield and 6 of them were stopped and tyson was being praised for his performance...the so called experts had tyson, the one you call past his prime, knocking holyfield out easily, i think holyfield was a 20 -1 underdog(or something like that)...tyson was not past his prime when he faced holyfield he was just defeated by a better fighter.

and the thing that the ali clip shows that you fail to see is composure, something else that mike tyson lacked and would have led to his defeat.(remember he did bite off a piece of holyfields ear)

7 rounds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i think holyfield was a 20 -1 underdog(or something like that)...tyson was not past his prime when he faced holyfield he was just defeated by a better fighter.
All depends who you are talking to-a lot of Tyson extremists put him out of his prime one day before the Buster Douglas fight (age 23). However, against Holyfield he was now 30 and had his 3+ years of prison behind him. He was probably on the down slide, but don't forget he pulverized 4 decent "post prison opponents", so it wasn't like he wasn't decently tuned. Another case of Mike uneasy with opponents who actually fought back.
PS:Holyfield started off as a 25-1 underdog, but by fight time it was all the way down to 7-1 or 8-1.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
All depends who you are talking to-a lot of Tyson extremists put him out of his prime one day before the Buster Douglas fight (age 23). However, against Holyfield he was now 30 and had his 3+ years of prison behind him. He was probably on the down slide,but don't forget he pulverized 4 decent "post prison opponents", so it wasn't like he wasn't decently tuned. Another case of Mike uneasy with opponents who actually fought back.
PS:Holyfield started off as a 25-1 underdog, but by fight time it was all the way down to 7-1 or 8-1.
Quote:
but don't forget he pulverized 4 decent "post prison opponents"
agreed...and as i stated...8 fights prior to holyfield and 6 of them were stopped.

Quote:
i stand corrected..25-1...thank you good sir,i knew it was up there.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
agreed...and as i stated...8 fights prior to holyfield and 6 of them were stopped

i stand corrected..25-1...thank you good sir,i knew it was up there.
Speaking of odds I remember the Sports Illustrated article that had a preview of the Tyson-Larry Holmes fight. The writer basically said Holmes was a good bet at 15-1 (the current odds). Larry was another fighter absolutely terrified of Tyson, and fought like a 50-1 shot. Just thought I'd throw that in there!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #69
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I like the suggestions that were mentioned in the thread. At the very least, hopefully FNR4 will have glancing blows and do something about the parrying. I'm very excited about Tyson being in the game. If his eyes start blinking watch out for uppercuts.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
you have ali going down and out in four and yet you claim to give him credit???
Sure. Ali is obviously one of the best fighters of all time. But it's funny to me that you seem to think Tyson was incapable of beating him.

Quote:
please stop with the tyson being past his prime argument...as i said, tyson had 8 fights prior to facing holyfield and 6 of them were stopped and tyson was being praised for his performance...the so called experts had tyson, the one you call past his prime, knocking holyfield out easily, i think holyfield was a 20 -1 underdog(or something like that)...tyson was not past his prime when he faced holyfield he was just defeated by a better fighter.
I didn't say he was past his prime to the best of my recollection. I said it was "post-prison era" Tyson. Mike Tyson was obviously a different person and fighter after he went to prison. Go watch his pre-prison fights and you'll see he had plenty of composure. He was a great sportsman in that era who always displayed visible concern for his opponents after he throttled them. He was very disciplined in the ring. Bthings began to change for him in the ring when he allowed certain aspects of his personal life affect him and take over out of the ring. He had lost key elements in his life (training staff) that had kept himn straight outside the ring and his fundamentals sharp in the ring. To put it quite simply, his focus and his training were never the same after prison. I think you're allowing your impression of him during his "circus freak" years to cloud your perception of him as a whole. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Quote:
and the thing that the ali clip shows that you fail to see is composure, something else that mike tyson lacked and would have led to his defeat.(remember he did bite off a piece of holyfields ear)

7 rounds
See my above comment about composure.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #71
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Fight Night Round 4 Announced, Mike Tyson Featured

Here is some funny Tyson trivia...Tyson only fought Holyfield because Evander looked so bad against Bobby Csyz that Tyson thought he would be an easy mark. Nice call, Mike. And everyone knows of the millions of dollars be paid Lennox because he was scared to death of him. That is all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Re: Fight Night Round 4 Announced, Mike Tyson Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Here is some funny Tyson trivia...Tyson only fought Holyfield because Evander looked so bad against Bobby Csyz that Tyson thought he would be an easy mark. Nice call, Mike. And everyone knows of the millions of dollars be paid Lennox because he was scared to death of him. That is all.
That's enough. I thought an old George Foreman would have given Mike fits. That's a heavy statement considering some Tyson fans discredit a young murderous Foreman when they make a case that Ali's opponents were not that good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »