Home

NHL 2K9 Review

This is a discussion on NHL 2K9 Review within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 2K9 Review

We have posted our review of NHL 2K9.

Quote:
"Sequels to long-time franchises are inevitably compared to previous efforts, and with NHL 2K9, this is no exception. When I look back at the previous 2K hockey titles, I notice that up until NHL 2K7, 2K Sports had a tremendous lead on EA Sports’ NHL titles. However, many argued that NHL 2K8 made some missteps that allowed NHL 08 to gain enough ground to exit the battle with a slight lead.

But how does NHL 2K9 stack up to NHL 2K8? The simple answer is that NHL 2K9 takes a step in the right direction. NHL 2K9 is still not a perfect game, and not groundbreaking by any means, but it has made enough of an improvement to make up for last year’s less than stellar title."

Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: NHL 2K9 Review

That was a pretty good review

"Hitting is still as abundant as ever, and can become excessive, but the strength of the hits has been tuned down to a more tolerable level."

I completely disagree with the beginning of this statement. It definitely is not "as abundant as ever". Last year you could slam people every single time they touched the puck, you cant do that this year.

Other than that little statement, the rest seemed pretty close to being spot on.

Especially the part about the graphics of the face and helmet.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
"There is, of course, the old set of options (player matches and ranked matches) [...]"
What about online leagues? It's the one online feature that always stood out. This year, they wanted to improve them (see the dev diary #4 here on OS) - how did that turn out? Nothing good or bad noteworthy about it?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Nice review. I've been enjoying NHL 09 a lot so far and will probably pick this one up at $20.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Rookie

Bleak5170's Arena

OVR: 4

That was fairer than I expected. I can't really disagree with much of that at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15
Nice Review. As a casual fan of hockey, yet fully aware of 2K's mission statement of creating sim products, i was weary of 2K9 having too much of a learning curve to actually enjoy it (see MLB 2k8, NHL 2K8, and even NBA 2K8). However, after playing, 2K once again had me immersed in the game like no other game since NBA 2K8. This company just knows how to balance sim elements and the fun factor, while capturing the intensity of hockey like no other. Anyone playing with the Broadcast/Side camera cannot honestly tell me that it isnt the best representation of seeing a hockey game on TV you will ever see. The gameplay is extremely fluid and the controls are very intuitive. Visual Concepts appreciates the "Little Things", and has once again displayed their acumen for animations that make it feel as if each and every game is unique while never seeming to be repetitive. I can finally abandon Madden, as I was just going through the motions of playing a game that just wasnt fun simply for the sake of playing a football game with the updated rosters of my Buffalo Bills. Initially, I felt that NHL 2K would hold me over until NBA 2K9, but I will be playing both for the foreseeable future. I almost let the hype of BAP in the other game affect my judgement of which to purchase, but the online 6v6 in 2K9 will more than suffice, and I dont have to worry about constant disconnects and lag. Thank god for competetion in the NHL series that offers the fans a choice. ARE YOU LISTENING commisioner Goodell?!?!, Exclusivity will breed mediocrity, and turn off your fans! (I know, you could give a rats ***, its all about the benjamins)..Sigh.....

Last edited by amedawg00; 09-12-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: more content
Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Fair review, don't agree about the hits because it really has been made more realistic this year and less frequent.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
Nice Review. As a casual fan of hockey, yet fully aware of 2K's mission statement of creating sim products, i was weary of 2K9 having too much of a learning curve to actually enjoy it (see MLB 2k8, NHL 2K8, and even NBA 2K8). However, after playing, 2K once again had me immersed in the game like no other game since NBA 2K8. This company just knows how to balance sim elements and the fun factor, while capturing the intensity of hockey like no other. Anyone playing with the Broadcast/Side camera cannot honestly tell me that it isnt the best representation of seeing a hockey game on TV you will ever see. The gameplay is extremely fluid and the controls are very intuitive. Visual Concepts appreciates the "Little Things", and has once again displayed their acumen for animations that make it feel as if each and every game is unique while never seeming to be repetitive. I can finally abandon Madden, as I was just going through the motions of playing a game that just wasnt fun simply for the sake of playing a football game with the updated rosters of my Buffalo Bills. Initially, I felt that NHL 2K would hold me over until NBA 2K9, but I will be playing both for the foreseeable future. I almost let the hype of BAP in the other game affect my judgement of which to purchase, but the online 6v6 in 2K9 will more than suffice, and I dont have to worry about constant disconnects and lag. Thank god for competetion in the NHL series that offers the fans a choice. ARE YOU LISTENING commisioner Goodell?!?!, Exclusivity will breed mediocrity, and turn off your fans! (I know, you could give a rats ***, its all about the benjamins)..Sigh.....
Great post and you are so right. 2k/VC knows what they are doing when it comes to sports video games. They are the kings of making games that simulate sports to a tee. Can't wait to see what they do with baseball. 2K9 is brilliant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »