Home

Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

This is a discussion on Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

Videogamer has the scoop.

Quote:
"US sales figures for August compiled by the NPD group have been released, and it'll be great reading for Electronic Arts. The top three selling games for the month are Madden NFL 09 on 360 (1 million), PS3 (643k) and PS2 (424.5k) respectively. Madden NFL 09 on the Wii took ninth place with 115.8k units sold.

Other games performing well in August included the Wii trio of Wii Fit (394.9K), Mario Kart (328.7K) and Wii Play (200.2K), SoulCalibur IV on Xbox 360 (174K), Xbox 360 exclusive Too Human (168.2K) and Guitar Hero: On Tour for Nintendo DS (111.2K)."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / NDS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

I said it in another thread but it probably deserves repeating here, Madden's sales are up a whopping 2% over last year. That includes guys like me who bought into the hype and thought that this would be the year Madden would be greatly improved. It's an okay game, but they've still got a long ways to go. They won't get my money so easily next year, I can tell you that right now.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
I said it in another thread but it probably deserves repeating here, Madden's sales are up a whopping 2% over last year. That includes guys like me who bought into the hype and thought that this would be the year Madden would be greatly improved. It's an okay game, but they've still got a long ways to go. They won't get my money so easily next year, I can tell you that right now.
I'm in the same boat as you. I thought the 20th anniversary would have brought us a great football game, but its average at best. I got the game very early from a mom and pop and my eagerness got the best of me. I think they should spend less time marketing and more time producing/designing.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Football is the #1 sport in America so use fans of the game that are gamers have to have a football game. I'm one of thoses guys who have to have NCAA and Madden is a wait and see thing. I held out last year like a top pick in the draft but this year I used some points I had from a credit card and got Madden for free and have played it al of 3 hours. I will just wait on the patch like everyone else while EA gets to count me in there sale numbers. I'm a fool.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

News like this should make us feel lucky to have Ian and co. They don't have to do ANYTHING and they still dominate in sales. I wish some people would realize this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
News like this should make us feel lucky to have Ian and co. They don't have to do ANYTHING and they still dominate in sales. I wish some people would realize this.
Are you kidding? Another year or two of flat sales, and EA/Tiburon can probably kiss the exclusive NFL license goodbye. I'm grateful Ian's around, and it sounds like he might finally have the train on the right track (after 4 wasted years on the next gen consoles), but they need us as much (if not more) than we need them.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Slight increases or even flat sales in this market is a win. In case you haven't notices, our economy is in a recession.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
A 2% increase probably means a lot more money than last year though. Many more copies have been sold of the next gen variety which get $10 more than the past gen games. Even if the sales stayed the same, EA made more money.

Quote:
Are you kidding? Another year or two of flat sales, and EA/Tiburon can probably kiss the exclusive NFL license goodbye.
It's far too early to be drinking this heavily. EA has a stranglehold on the NFL license and they won't be losing it any time soon. Who else can guarantee that kind of revenue based on millions of sales of a video game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »