Home

Association Mode 2.0: A Jewel Still in Need of Some Polish

This is a discussion on Association Mode 2.0: A Jewel Still in Need of Some Polish within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Association Mode 2.0: A Jewel Still in Need of Some Polish

Many NBA 2K fans were excited about the new Association 2.0 mode which was going to be included in the game. Does the mode pass our smell test? Check out Bryan Estrella's take and decide for yourself in the article: Association Mode 2.0: A Jewel Still In Need of Some Polish.

Quote:
"I can’t believe it has been this long, but it really has been 10 years since the first NBA 2K was released for the Dreamcast. And ever since NBA 2K’s premier release, 2K Sports has become a yearly fixture on the video gaming map; constantly releasing critically acclaimed basketball games each fall. Sure there have been some bumps in the road (see: ESPN Basketball 2K4) but there is no doubt that Visual Concepts has nearly perfected the art of great basketball gameplay (maybe with some help from sliders of course)."

Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
As you kind of hit on, it would be nice for the game to promote it's new "stars" as the game goes on. Right now you have the Kobe's, Lebron's, etc. who are kind of the face of the league. It seems that as the years progress, the game could kind of promote the players in the game who feel these roles a little differently than they do the other players.

Right now, if Kobe drops 30 and Bonzi Wells drops 30, Kobe will get the headline. The game should do this as well. If it could "tag" it's superstar caliber players in the future, you might be more aware that Steve Stevenson in 2015 is what Lebron James is now to the game.

Once you move out of the curent players careers, the game kind of loses it's stardom. The game needs to find away to promote these stars so that in 2015, Steve Stevenson means more in the game than just a no name player.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6
Great article. It make me want to leave work and start an association(slow day) I do have a question. Do you think that your hall of fame setting had something to do with your dissatisfied results? Would setting it on HoF make it tougher on your chosen team? I would think so. My thinking is that it would make it harder for your team to win game, fair well in trades and drafts. This would make your players morale and team chemistry go down. And create a cycle of disappointment. I would never play a new game on the high level of difficulty and expect anything other than a sound thrashing.

I hope you will continue you inspection of the Association with different variables such game setting, team and maybe even sliders and give post your results/findings
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Goor read. My overall impression of 2K9 is that it is a solid step up in gameplay, a mixed bag graphically (2K8 didn't get muddied when looking down the court), and Association 2.0 is more like 1.5. I like how 2K brought more information up front and how the CBA details are now in the game. It just feels like the evolution should have been a little deeper to be fair in calling it 2.0.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11
My association will be with the KNICKS. Insert joke here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
reason why ch2k8 is still the best on the market...they could atleast let us control every team like in NHL2k9 untill they FINALLY fix the problem,,,
Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Association Mode 2.0: A Jewel Still in Need of Some Polish

Great article, Bryan. I really hope 2K developers read this to know where franchise junkies are coming from.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Good article. I would say that you seemed to focus almost purely on the CPU logic when looking at the negatives though. I'm not saying they shouldn't be addressed, because they are definite issues.To me though, because of the overall control 2K gives you in the player management area, you can at least manually adjust for these errors. What you can't adjust for is omissions.

I would add to your breakdown a "mising/disappeared" section. If this is really association 2.0 I should be able to fully manage my staff, facilities, atmosphere, etc. Little things like price adjustments, equipment upgrades for the locker room (for morale, health, and training boosts) and the ability to build a coaching staff to guide your team to the top are sorely missing. Everything added to "upgrade" the association mode was just window dressing. It's a letdown because it only shows you just what could have been, rather than what is.

There are lots of things you could polish about player negotiations, trades etc. Imagine how much more depth would be added if you couldn't trade for the player you wanted because you have a poor relationship with his team's GM? Or if negotiations break down because the player feels the coaching staff doesn't suit him? Flesh out what you have, and add what you hint at. Then I might feel 2K really upgraded association mode. Maybe this is their plan...I hope so. Right now, this is really "Association 1.1" at most. Actually add some tangible feature before you claim franchise dominance. This mode, while good overall (I don't mean to imply it's bad, by any means) was grossly overhyped IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »