Home

Five Modes to Improve the EA NHL Series

This is a discussion on Five Modes to Improve the EA NHL Series within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Five Modes to Improve the EA NHL Series

If you’re a fan of EA's NHL series, then you have had a lot to smile about. Recently, EA released patches that improve some major flaws in the game; the patches served as a wrench that tightened up some bolts on an already solid ship. Still, even with the addition of modes such as Be a Pro, you have to wonder sometimes what else could have been put in to make this game the greatest of all time. So here are five modes that will put this franchise over the top and send hockey fans into perpetual bliss every fall.

Read More: Five Modes to Improve the EA NHL Series
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
Mr. Williams I agree with your article here. Before last year's edition of hockey from EA the series sucked. It had been going downhill for awhile. Gameplay just wasn't fun and there was really no reason to buy it unless you wanted the updated rosters.

I think EA focusing on AI and overall gameplay and nixing many features and mode really helped turn this series around and make it the better of the two. We have gotten the Stick Skill now, which is probably the single greatest feature this company has come up with.

You are right, for $60 we should be able to have more control over what gets included in the game. One big feature they should have included with ALL EA Sports games this year is the Online Franchise/Dynasty. That should have been a feature unveiled throughout the whole library of games this year. Sadly some are better than other (NCAA compared to Madden).

I like this article and I hope to see ALL these features in a hockey game in the near future!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Five Modes to Improve the EA NHL Series

I would like to see a "mode" geared towards simulation. That is, a sim level/franchise mode with as much "attention to detail" as possible. I think the game should be released with 2 discs. One dedicated to the EASHL and one dedicated to franchise sim mode. I'd like to see the franchise mode based on 10 min periods, with proper stats and game clock and all the goodies like accurate stadiums and the such. And I'd like to go through the whole itinerary of a hockey game - pre game warm ups, cut the ice, intro, player intros, national anthem, game etc. And all this with multi user.

Yeah, there should definitely be a playoff mode. Enough said.

Winter classic could be part of the franchise mode, and you could have past stadiums as options.

I would trade a classics mode in for a really good practice mode.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Five Modes to Improve the EA NHL Series

Good article...I feel that single season mode is also a must-have, and having full roster control for all teams (to keep rosters current during the course of a season) would also be a big plus.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
To expand on the Skills Competition Mode request. This should also be used when creating your Be A Pro. Giving us a little more control over the development of our BAP to start our career. Player Type gives you a baseline stat, and how well you preform in the Skills Competition improves ( or decreases ) those stats....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Great list BDub.....completely agree with just about everything you said here.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Good ideas.

But don't forget multi-player seasons.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7
kicks and giggles? Did he really just say that?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »