Home

Noob Guide to Transactions in MLB '09: The Show

This is a discussion on Noob Guide to Transactions in MLB '09: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Noob Guide to Transactions in MLB '09: The Show

For baseball purists, one of the biggest additions to MLB 09: The Show has been the inclusion of authentic professional transactions within the franchise mode. No longer are virtual owners stuck with the limited options of trades and free agency -- now the full spectrum of rosters moves are available to budding Billy Beanes.

However, within this new framework there is a slight problem. Since video games have ignored realistic roster handling for a long time (outside of Acclaim’s All-Star Baseball), many users do not know what all of the new moves mean. The developers of The Show have tried to help by including a handbook on the disc, but for those interested in reading a less "textbook" approach, here is a primer for getting a grip on your roster.

Read More - Noob Guide to Transactions in MLB '09: The Show
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Great tips, I will be using these tools as soon as Knight's rosters are finished and I start my franchise.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Noob Guide to Transactions in MLB '09: The Show

good topic as i am no expert in these rules of baseball.

let me ask about this
Quote:
25/40-Man Roster Issues

Normally, you will have 25 spots to fill on your active roster. These will be the players who you can use on the field on a daily basis.

The additional 15 spots on your 40-man roster are primarily for players who may bounce back and forth between the Majors and minors. Starting on September 1, you can dress and play anyone from your 40-man roster.

Options: So let us say that you have a fringe player who has seen time on both your Major League and Triple-A squads for three years. In the past, most video games allowed you to move him up and down between the clubs as much as you wanted. However, in the real MLB, any player who has been on the 40-man roster, but not on the active 25-man roster for any part of three seasons, is said to be "out of options" once his fourth year as a pro starts. In other words, you cannot move him back down to the minors without risk at that point.

When this happens, that player has to go through the waiver process before going down to the minors.
so if my player has not been on the 40 man roster, then Options dont matter because i cant move him up to the MLB level unless he is on the 40 man, right??

my next question applies to this

Quote:
However, in the real MLB, any player who has been on the 40-man roster, but not on the active 25-man roster for any part of three seasons, is said to be "out of options" once his fourth year as a pro starts. In other words, you cannot move him back down to the minors without risk at that point.
im confused on this. what if he was on the 40 man, and on the 25 man active roster, does this mean he doesnt have options and can be moved as much as i want? Or is that bolded line above just talking about a guy that is out of options because he was never added to the 15 man roster?

does every player have options if they are on the 40 man and/or 25 man roster?

do the options renew every year, or on a timeline of some kind?

this stuff is a great addition to the game, but im confused by alot of it and want to know how it works. i may have to research mlb rules to understand better
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Great thread!

My question revolves around this:

Quote:
If you sign a player who ranks in the top 20 percent at his position (called a Type A free agent), you give your first-round draft pick to his original team. That team also gets a supplemental "free pick" between the first and second rounds.
How is the top 20 percent determined? You should know this BEFORE you decide not to re-sign someone right? How do you figure out the top 20 at a given position?

-- Paul Hornung
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus375
Great thread!

My question revolves around this:

How is the top 20 percent determined? You should know this BEFORE you decide not to re-sign someone right? How do you figure out the top 20 at a given position?
The FA Type of the player it's said on his Player Card.

Last edited by Imnus; 04-07-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
good topic as i am no expert in these rules of baseball.

let me ask about this
so if my player has not been on the 40 man roster, then Options dont matter because i cant move him up to the MLB level unless he is on the 40 man, right??

my next question applies to this

im confused on this. what if he was on the 40 man, and on the 25 man active roster, does this mean he doesnt have options and can be moved as much as i want? Or is that bolded line above just talking about a guy that is out of options because he was never added to the 15 man roster?

does every player have options if they are on the 40 man and/or 25 man roster?

do the options renew every year, or on a timeline of some kind?

this stuff is a great addition to the game, but im confused by alot of it and want to know how it works. i may have to research mlb rules to understand better
Options allow you to move a player from MLB to minors, every time you send down a player to Minors, you used an Option of that player, that Option last a whole season, meaning you cand send him down to the minors as much as you want that year.

Every player have 3 Options (even if he's neither on the 25-Man Roster nor on the 40-Man Roster), and no, they never reset.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Can someone explain to me why I never get extra draft picks when my Type A and B free agents are signed by someone else? I offer them arbitration like I'm supposed to, they decline it and are picked by someone else. Then come June 3rd, I don't even get a supplemental pick.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
Can someone explain to me why I never get extra draft picks when my Type A and B free agents are signed by someone else? I offer them arbitration like I'm supposed to, they decline it and are picked by someone else. Then come June 3rd, I don't even get a supplemental pick.
Bump. I'm honestly confused with what I'm not doing to get draft picks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »