Home

NFL Players Now Intend to Sue Madden, EA

This is a discussion on NFL Players Now Intend to Sue Madden, EA within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #33
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NFL Players Now Intend to Sue Madden, EA

I should add:

As someone who likes playing as historic players... The obvious downside to this, if the retired players win like they should, is that we'll likely see any and all traces of history removed from future games... Even possibly the ability to edit players.

I just hope some sort of retired players union grows out of this... Whether it be through an already existing organization, or on it's own... This way, stuff like this can be avoided in the future, and everyone can be happy...

Though I realize that is a long shot. There seems to be just way too much stubbornness and greed out there for anything so sensible.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 04-19-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #34
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

I wouldnt be suprised when everything is all said and done ,
That EA asks the government for a bailout.
You know the government would do it.EA owns the rights to everything.They even own THE GODFATHER!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
They should have payed up. Simple as that. If you want to use historical players to sell your product, pay up.

The NFL players association tried to screw the old timers, and I have not one drop of sympathy for them. EA either. These NFL veterans from the 50's and 60's made the NFL the biggest sport in America, and now they're paying the cost of their sacrifice in pain and suffering. At the same time the beneficiaries of that sacrifice, today's greedy zillionare players, are balking at paying their respects.

It's sickens me.
+1 theres nothing ridiculous about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by adembroski

My god this is getting ridiculous.

Quote:
They should have payed up. Simple as that. If you want to use historical players to sell your product, pay up.

The NFL players association tried to screw the old timers, and I have not one drop of sympathy for them. EA either. These NFL veterans from the 50's and 60's made the NFL the biggest sport in America, and now they're paying the cost of their sacrifice in pain and suffering. At the same time the beneficiaries of that sacrifice, today's greedy zillionare players, are balking at paying their respects.

It's sickens me.
Adembroskie are you telling me that if you were the legends of the game who got $1,500 a game if that, and you see the players today getting $100 million along with EA who is using your name you wouldn't want some of that pie? Most of the Legends are struggling financially and Madden thought they could use them in there game to compete with APF 2K8 who actually paid there Legends???

Come on Adem I know your better than that.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #37
MVP

I think that the retired players should start there own union and if you think about it with all the retired players they could easily take a contract from 2K and have a full game.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #38
Rookie

capn_razzamataz's Arena

OVR: 10

While I'm not going to say I'm "glad" EA is being sued by the retired players I will say that they deserve the money. I went to signing event for a bunch of athletes (current and retired) last summer and got to talk to Earl Campbell's agent for a while when the show was winding down.

He said that since the NFL doesn't give players much after retirement a lot of retirees rely on signings and such for money. He also said that Earl's only source of real income is his restaurant. The rest of his money goes to insane medical bills (just to note, Earl isn't in too great of shape these days...he was looking pretty frail throughout the signing). I'm sure that money from videogame deals greatly help a lot of retirees...and some of them desperately need it.

Last edited by capn_razzamataz; 04-19-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: made it easier to read
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
Yeah but they had them in the game before they lost all that money. EA probably assumed the retired players are ok with it just because they have the NFL lisence that its ok to put people in a video game and not be paid.

Wrong Answer EA...they should be paid no questions asked.
Fully agree. Though most people don't play with them, they have them in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
No wonder the players wanted a lot of money to be on APF 2k8.They didn't wanna get burned again.

Please don't turn this into an EA vs 2k debate.It has nothing to do with the games.
In a direct way, this does have something to do with 2K but that'll be redirecting the topic of this thread. Just know that all of these little things are in connection one way or another.

Quote:

It's sickens me.
One thing that interests me is how other teams have the old retired players but don't have conflicts with their likenesses all that much. Seems like NFL is the only sport that is shady towards their cornerstone. Maybe it's just me. Not to mention the countless documentaries and pieces done on the retired players, it's ashamed that they aren't given more love. Lot of deepness with the respect they're getting for their sacrifices.......
Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_razzamataz
While I'm not going to say I'm "glad" EA is being sued by the retired players I will say that they deserve the money. I went to signing event for a bunch of athletes (current and retired) last summer and got to talk to Earl Campbell's agent for a while when the show was winding down.

He said that since the NFL doesn't give players much after retirement a lot of retirees rely on signings and such for money. He also said that Earl's only source of real income is his restaurant. The rest of his money goes to insane medical bills (just to note, Earl isn't in too great of shape these days...he was looking pretty frail throughout the signing). I'm sure that money from videogame deals greatly help a lot of retirees...and some of them desperately need it.
Well I myself and very HAPPY that EA is being sued over this. This kind of **** needs to stop and maybe this will cause some others to think a little more before going out and conscientiously rip people off.

If Madden 09 sold 4.5 Million copies and it sold for $60 each that is $270 Million in one game and you are trying to tell me that they couldn't have gave the legends a fair share for using them? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »