Home

Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #105
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: IGN.....Hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11
Theres a balance thing here, I am all for a realistic pocket no doubt. But the average joe will hate being sacked in 3 seconds everyplay.

The reason the show is so good is that it has realism and a steep learning curve.
Very true in regaurds to The Show. But I think the show is geared towards more of a mature audience who are ok with 100% realism whereas Madden needs to still appeal to the younger audience.

Last week my little cousin played The Show and got upset because Manny went 1-4 with a double and that every ball he threw wasn't a strike. In his case The Show is TOO REAL for him.

What I think Madden needs to do is add another difficulty level and keep the run and chuck for the 2 lower levels and the other levels make it "sim".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #106
Rookie

whoady4shoady's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Seriously, where have you been the past few years. EA has been making huge strides in Games. They Own Hockey and Soccar, they Are making great strides in basketball and Tiburon has righted the ship in Football.

I also think some of you guys are reading into the negative stuff a bit too much. Not only is Tiburon Aware of the issues brought up, but the game he was not close to being a finished product.
Yeah, you are right. Huge strides in everything but Madden............. and what game are we talking about? Yeah, thats right. Madden!

Madden has been a downright disgrace to any true football fan for the past 4 years.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #107
Rookie

mars85042's Arena

OVR: 10

Every test no matter how insignificant has its place, this test was very similar to having a small child test the game & get there feed back. It is a necessary evil to get lots of feed back, at some point of looking at something to long you must get out side views to see clearly again. Its like proof reading your own report, new eye's see new flaws.

P.S. My little nephew loves the 30 yard drop back touchdown pass, just keep it on pro and not on all madden!

No chesse here, Go sim or go home!!!!!

Last edited by mars85042; 05-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #108
Rookie

mars85042's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

Madden nation is not the best madden players, it’s the best Madden cheesers!

Last edited by mars85042; 05-15-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #109
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
See I'm still not feeling anyone being able to fling it 30 yards on the back-peddle with near-perfect accuracy, regardless of skill level. I'm more for the use of aids like D-assist for those who don't have the sticks or knowledge yet. Football is football. Madden has been a flawed interpretation of football. As long as they let stuff like that exist, it perpetuates a culture that has brought Madden to where we are all saying that it's broken. They need to take the leap of faith like Fifa is trying to and NHL and The Show. Not to mention the legend that PES is. Those games are acclaimed for trying to faithfully recreate the sports they represent.

Now before it sounds like I'm bashing the team, I'm not. I have much faith in them, Ian especially. But I'm just praying that they go all out with it, not half. Not get scared that they will alienate the fanbase or make it where little kids won't play it. If they are ever gonna have it where a coach can beat a tourney player, they've gotta get the game to be totally true to the sport and fun and accessible at the same time. Classic Madden gameplay needs to get shelved, just like Triple Play's brand of baseball.... Sim or Bust!
IMO, this is the real limit term for the future of the franchise--not the intentions of the team but the expectations of the base.

As far as the issue of throwing far while running backwards, I think it's okay that it happens, but here's how you have to contextualize it: Elway, Marino, Favre.

I've seen those guys do things that defy the traditional rules of good quarterback play on a fairly regular basis. But they're singular players, once or twice in a generation type players.

Sure, some guys can make an ill-advised but successful throw with decent zip while moving backward from time to time, but for most QB's it's a very bad idea.

This raises a larger question that I had relative to the issue of QB accuracy: zip.

I wonder if guys will have different amounts of "hang time" on their throws, like real life. This is crucial. If you run back and throw with a guy who lacks an elite arm, that ball should hang, big time, and allow the defense time to break.

There should also be different hang times on regular throws. Pennington is an extreme example, but his throws float. They're accurate, but not quick. This should factor into how short, medium, and long throws come out.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #110
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

meh. every year ign hypes the newest madden as the next big thing.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #111
Rookie

whoady4shoady's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Well, first of all, I don't really see this as a bad preview. Sure he can have gameplay and camera feedback about an alpha build that's in progress, but all the rest of the rather glowing praise seemed to make me feel pretty good.

Regardless, his concerns are all valid, but again all things are still very much in progress. The entirety of the pocket stuff is still being worked on and tuned...the pocket and gang tackles are our big remaining items...making sure you can't scramble out, making sure you actually get pressure, etc. Just so everyone knows, Nate was also playing on Pro mode - a mode where we are very purposely making it easier to stay in the pocket. It's quite a culture shock to have defenders right in your face after 20 years of not worrying about it.

We all know the fumble pileup thing is going to be totally subjective within the community, and though it is extremely rare (played a full 10 min qtr game yesterday, had 3 fumbles, and didn't see it), you still have the option to turn it off.

Anyway, I am hoping that you can take more away from the article - the gameplay tuning items are very valid but they are also in progress.

Oh well, worry away.
What you have to remember is that many of us played 2k5 and All PRo 2k, and we are use to a real pocket and the pressure that comes from it. Many if not all of us expect a football game that comes out many years later to be at least up to par in such an important aspect of the game of football as a last gen game.

Is this really asking to much Ian? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I must laugh at your use of culture shock. Please dont take it personally.

Last edited by whoady4shoady; 05-15-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #112
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
meh. every year ign hypes the newest madden as the next big thing.
IMO, that's what makes this preview stick out. I'm used to IGN drooling over the new edition of Madden. However, the author made some valid points about things that needed to be worked on and actually seemed to have a clue about football and some of the previous flaws in the past games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »