Home

NHL 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360 & PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360 & PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 10 Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Ugh Stupid PS Store.. hasn't even been updated yet, well maybe they go by pacific time and something will happen around Noon EST...
PS3 demo doesn't hit until the 27th...at least thats the rumor.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #50
Pro

OVR: 5

How are the cut scenes? Especially the goalies; are we seeing the same cut scenes that we've seen for the past two years?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 31

After playing a slew of more battle for the cup games on hardcore superstar, I have to say, its hockey, even with the defaults on sliders, it feels like hockey, from the board play, to the puck physics, to the game no longer being an up and down ice affair. I'm starting to get the passing down and have been able to make some flat out awesome passes off the boards through the neutral zone, I'm also loving how if you play really physical the CPU AI will try and get rid of the puck quicker to avoid the check, be it ringing it back around the boards or putting the puck into open space.

The other thing is the game gets alot of the little things right, players gloving the puck down on dump ins, or gloving it down to their sticks at the blue line to keep it in the zone. Your cpu team mates doing a better job of getting open and clearing the front of the net, the crowd reactions being fantastic and realistically reacting to whats going on on the ice. I've also seen quite a few just flat out SICK saves. The puck physics feel great to me as well.

I absolutely cannot wait to get into Be a GM mode with the Bruins once this bad boy drops.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
Like someone else said they act weird in the neutral zone, constantly turning around when you dont let them carry over the blue line. They do this at least twice before trying to dump it if you have everything defended well.
Sounds like a good play to me. No reason to give it away unless you need a line change. Definitely no reason to walk into a trap. Circle back and get your attack together. Make the other team take it. Smart CPU play.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #53
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLogo
Sounds like a good play to me. No reason to give it away unless you need a line change. Definitely no reason to walk into a trap. Circle back and get your attack together. Make the other team take it. Smart CPU play.
It's usually called a "regroup" and teams like Detroit do it more than most. It's becoming more common again in the NHL with the latest fad empasis of being a "puck-possession" team. The real test will be if skilled lines/players are more likely to regroup while the grinders would just chip & chase.

On a related note, have any of you guys messed with the team strategies yet? I imagine they'll be the same, only more effective if the AI is indeed more active. It would be sweet if they expanded them to include more tendencies for team playing style, but I'm sure we would've heard about that kind of feature. Hopefully we can at least change a team's default settings, but again, I'm not too optimistic...

Last edited by Qb; 08-20-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #54
Banned

OVR: 16

Anyone know why this isnt on the PS3 yet? Just checked demos and it only had NHL 08 and 09.

Is it hard to score and do cross crease? Is fighting hard? Is board pinning hard? Ugh so many questions that I can't find out myself
Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #55
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Are sliders the same as last year. I always thought they needed to be beefed up.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #56
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

OVR: 16

To the person who asked there does seem to be some recycled cut scenes.

But let me say boys, this really feels like a hockey game!!! I am really impressed. The passing is a thing of beauty, banking passes off the boards to get passed the cpu just opens up a whole world of creativity on the fly, just like real hockey!

That is probably one thing I am discovering more as I play this demo, it is far less predictable in terms of how the game plays out. Its the closest equivalent hockey has come to being a open world sandbox game that gives you the options to play the game how you want. I guess what I am banging on about is that this game allows you to get really creative. Wohooooooo creativity is a big part of skillful hockey!!!!

Ok, ok I am way pumped...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »