Home

NHL 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360 & PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360 & PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 10 Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacketsfan
Anyone know why this isnt on the PS3 yet? Just checked demos and it only had NHL 08 and 09.

Is it hard to score and do cross crease? Is fighting hard? Is board pinning hard? Ugh so many questions that I can't find out myself
Rumor is a week later..the 27th for the PS3
Old 08-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #58
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacketsfan
Anyone know why this isnt on the PS3 yet? Just checked demos and it only had NHL 08 and 09.

Is it hard to score and do cross crease? Is fighting hard? Is board pinning hard? Ugh so many questions that I can't find out myself
Yeah I am finding it hard to score because the cpu ai is much smarter. You just can't walk it up the ice and ding a couple of shots at the goalie. The neutral zone has to be navigated. To be honest I am still in 'charge up the ice' mode and am finding that you really have to dump and chase and learn to pin and even on penalties, clearing becomes imperative.

It is just heaps of fun.

Pinning some fools on a dump in and battling is all so smooth, its really impressive.

Last year 2k9 killed 09 in board play but it was stilted, this feels quite organic and there is no warping or suction, just feels and looks the goods. On that note hitting is much better, not warping either and not all hits put skaters down.

I never do the cheese stuff so I can't comment but the goalies seem smarter and the new animations seem to give them more options to protect the net.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #59
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

Arrgghhh I have to go to sleep, have to work in the morning (Australia)...but I want to keep playing and typing my thoughts hehe...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #60
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
It's usually called a "regroup" and teams like Detroit do it more than most. It's becoming more common again in the NHL with the latest fad empasis of being a "puck-possession" team. The real test will be if skilled lines/players are more likely to regroup while the grinders would just chip & chase.

On a related note, have any of you guys messed with the team strategies yet? I imagine they'll be the same, only more effective if the AI is indeed more active. It would be sweet if they expanded them to include more tendencies for team playing style, but I'm sure we would've heard about that kind of feature. Hopefully we can at least change a team's default settings, but again, I'm not too optimistic...
I don't think there is anything wrong with the strategy, but something about it just doesn't look right. I think it has something to do with the skating/momentum engine. A CPU player will be steaming along and as a defender, whilst playing good position, you go to meet him at the blue line, the CPU player will spin on a dime to regroup. Then he'll start to run into some of the back-checking forwards and do a couple more spins and then dump the puck in.

I haven't messed too much with strategy, but I will do that now. I think it might play a bigger part in gameplay this year. For example, the CPU will forecheck HARD. Don't try to gather the puck behind your net and sit for a second, a forechecker will be right on you trying to create a turnover (which is AWESOME). I DARE you to try to skate the puck out of your own zone with Lilja or if you are even more daring, try making that first pass out of the zone with Lilja.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 3

Guys, I'm stuck at work and have 1 question...Can you be a GOALTENDER in the prospects game and play with him like the litty video?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #62
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Robot
Yeah I am finding it hard to score because the cpu ai is much smarter. You just can't walk it up the ice and ding a couple of shots at the goalie. The neutral zone has to be navigated. To be honest I am still in 'charge up the ice' mode and am finding that you really have to dump and chase and learn to pin and even on penalties, clearing becomes imperative.

It is just heaps of fun.

Pinning some fools on a dump in and battling is all so smooth, its really impressive.

Last year 2k9 killed 09 in board play but it was stilted, this feels quite organic and there is no warping or suction, just feels and looks the goods. On that note hitting is much better, not warping either and not all hits put skaters down.

I never do the cheese stuff so I can't comment but the goalies seem smarter and the new animations seem to give them more options to protect the net.
Agreed 100%. I'm also noticing that player seperation is there big time. Smaller players aren't going to floor guys to the ice on a regular basis and even with a larger checking player you really need to line up a hit well or you still just may graze the guy. Its the same thing with puck handling, unskilled puckhandlers WILL lose the puck if you try to turn too fast or deke too much.

I also agree with your last post where you mention each game feels different and completely organic, my last game not only did I injure Holmstrom with a solid check along the boards where after getting up he slowly skated to the bench, but I also got called for a double minor on a vicious looking high stick by Guerin. I've seen coincidental calls, I've also seen the CPU get called for more than one penalty before a stoppage that I was able to maintain the puck in their defensive zone. I've seen crazy puck bounces in front of the net due to the new looser puck physics, the game has it all. Did I mention the board play? Because no other game has ever implimented board play as realistically as it is in NHL10.

The game is brilliant. Thank you Redshirt, Litty, Rammer, and the rest of the NHL team, you guys flat out nailed it this year.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 5

In BAP Mode, can u change your line strategies at all? Either, on-the-fly or pause menu? Last year u was stuck on Overload, Behind the net, or Crash, ect. I hated that.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #64
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

Realm how are the puck physics mate!!! Especially when a wicked shot has been wired on goal, it just seems to come alive after hitting the goalie. Not every shot mind (goalies certainly glove shots) but the loose puck physics at the goal are leaps ahead of 09.

I scored a great goal in desperation by just firing on net, the goalie had it tracked but it hit the leg of the only defender in the crease took a deflection and went in and it all looked like the real thing.

Alright, time to sleep.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »