Home

MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #209
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: @ CES w/ Russell. Hands ON Impressions.

reading through this thread has only proven to me more that no single video game will ever be perfect because there will always be something "wrong" with the game.

BTW....from the vids I couldn't help but notice that the chalklines are 2 millimeters to thin. Also, the grass blades are about 2 inches too short which could be the reason why we are seeing the ball hit the grass and bounce over the wall. I know its an early build but maybe they could fix it before the final build or if not, then patch it because who wants to play a game where the chalklines are too thin and the grass is too short?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #210
Banned

OVR: 60

Quote:
I am really hoping they were doing that on purpose to show the ball physics.
That's excuse numero uno.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #211
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
reading through this thread has only proven to me more that no single video game will ever be perfect because there will always be something "wrong" with the game.

BTW....from the vids I couldn't help but notice that the chalklines are 2 millimeters to thin. Also, the grass blades are about 2 inches too short which could be the reason why we are seeing the ball hit the grass and bounce over the wall. I know its an early build but maybe they could fix it before the final build or if not, then patch it because who wants to play a game where the chalklines are too thin and the grass is too short?
Pffft, where the heck is the game mode where we can be grounds crew and more our own fields.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #212
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Blzer, c'mon man, you're asking all these questions and none of us have even played the game, or really seen any significant length of video. Don't you think the devs, who have for about four+ years now made the best baseball game on the market, considered this already? I highly doubt they're going to take the best playing baseball sim available, and make it near unplayable just for the sake of a broadcast came.

Patience dude, wait until we get more gameplay vids, or a demo, whatever. It's all hypotheticals right now.
I think you regard them too highly. I know that they know the sport of baseball, they'll do what they can to please the community, and that they wouldn't put something in if they didn't think it was for the best, but I have seen times where I think there is a better alternative, and this is one of them.

Like I said, that scenario still stands. Imagine there being a pickle here:

If you're the baserunner (or maybe the fielder), don't you think that this will be somewhat difficult to precisely determine your proximity with the opposing player? This may (and it only may) be the best angle to field a ball hit in this direction, but beyond that I don't see much good in this angle being created post-fielding.

Now look at this camera angle here (thanks dmbfan):

Don't you think that, not only does it remain consistent and look more beautiful showing off the entire field, and not only does it seem playable for any ball hit into the field (including down the lines), but that it would be much easier to perceive where you are in relation to a runner or fielder to make a decision on what to do? The other view causes that obstruction that doesn't make it very easy to see, and though it doesn't happen often, it only takes once for somebody to complain when it does to consider what could have been done to avoid it.

I'm just spit-balling here is all, waiting for the next awesome video to come out and hopefully see what home runs look like in this broadcast cam. Remember that I was the one last year who prayed, day in and day out, that we would have a broadcast cam. With that being said, you may think that I'm coming off as not liking this cam, but by that prior statement I must [by default] be the most excited to play with this camera once we get the demo. And it was me wishing constantly and early that got them the idea that this inclusion could be a good thing. I'm not complaining for complaining's sake, it's always for the greater good. The reason SCEA is so great is because they respond to the community, but we have to communicate back to them to make that work. I mean, you guys always say this is still an early build and they have a lot of tweaks to make, right? I'm suggesting things now.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #213
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

I like short grass!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #214
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I like short grass!
http://instantrimshot.com/
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #215
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

to be frankly honest with the board here, I'm actually surprised that no one has brought up the fact that in the Royals vs Cardinals clip that the RBI base hit that Butler got was a groundball that seemingly went under the glove of the SS.

Wasn't that something that was viewed inadequate last year on the boards? Maybe I'm mistaken and it was something else.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #216
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Like I said, that scenario still stands. Imagine there being a pickle here:

You do realize that is "demo mode" and you will get different camera angles, than the set one we will have right.... right?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »