Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

Gamespot has posted their first look at Major League Baseball 2K10.

Quote:
"As to how this applies to gameplay mechanics, it takes a few different forms in batting and pitching. For batters, all of this data factors into a feature called Batter's Eye, which (depending on the skill of the batter) gives a split-second glimpse of what the pitch is and where it's going by quickly flashing that information onscreen. "Batter's Eye is definitely one of my favorite features because it finally makes me feel like I can lay off a pitch. I have a little bit of a heads-up on what's coming," says Bishop. But the Eye won't show up for just any hitter. "[For more-skilled batters], it doesn't show up sooner, but more often. Still, you're not going to get it on every pitch," he adds. "If you have one of your better hitters up there, you'll probably get it one or two times at bat, whereas with one of your weaker batters, you're probably not going to see it at all."

Ultimately, things like the Batter's Eye are in the game to help you work the count a little more than you might in other baseball games, particularly if you just swing for the fences on every pitch because you can't tell what's coming. But another batting feature that plays up this idea is simple. When you're at the plate, you can make contact with the ball in different ways--push down and then up on the right analog stick for a power swing, push up for a contact swing, or press left or right for the new defensive swing. If you're down in the count, a defensive swing becomes invaluable because it can help you protect the plate and foul one off to keep your chances alive and to wait for a decent pitch."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

I don't like how they refined the swing stick mechanic, so I think if I ever get my hands on the retail copy I am either only going to use cursor hitting (if that's still an option) or create sliders designated for the "power" swing. I think what they did with that sounds messy.

I really like the pitcher-batter statistical analysis they went through, though. In the amount of time I have played baseball, I know for a fact that "ownage" exists in the real world, and I like how they've incorporated it in the game.

More to read, but so far I'm not too much of a fan of any sort of batter's eye (never was), but it sounds like it's implemented as best as possible behind the scenes. Now let's see if it's visually appealing as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the information sounds like things that were put back in from 2K6, 2K7, and 2K8. It's not a bad thing, but to know they first scrapped it all just to put it back in seems like a waste of energy. This is why we want to stick with one development team always.

Oh, and uh...

Quote:
"If you're a first baseman and you go to the Cardinals, you're going to be blocked by Puhols," says Bishop.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-15-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Thanks. i just read the preview. Ahhh I am lukewarm on this game at the moment. But I did like some of the things I heard especially the franchise mode with the compensation picks.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

It sounds like there are still single-A ball clubs and there are September call-ups. I can't tell if Spring Training is really in this game or not, or if they're just calling the 40-man roster that.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
It sounds like there are still single-A ball clubs and there are September call-ups. I can't tell if Spring Training is really in this game or not, or if they're just calling the 40-man roster that.
Haha that is the million dollar question my friend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

I just finished reading... so much better than the IGN write-up.

I like the swing mechanic, in theory. Up for normal swing, left/right for defensive... and down/up for power swing. The only swing a user has to conciously decide to use before a pitch is thrown is power. I'm okay with that.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Didn't the other preview confirm Spring Training? He said that's where you start your season, and you eventually have to cut a 40 man roster down to 25.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I like the swing mechanic, in theory. Up for normal swing, left/right for defensive... and down/up for power swing.

You don't have to step for a contact swing? That would suck. They should have just tied in the contact and power swing together.

Last edited by HK-47; 01-15-2010 at 05:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »