Home

NHL 2K11 Preview (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K11 Preview (IGN) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 2K11 Preview (IGN)

According to IGN's preview, NHL 2K11 is one of the few quality sports simulations on the Wii this year.

Quote:
"It's very clear that NHL 2K11 is going to try to bridge the gap between gamers looking for more of an arcade experience and those looking for a simulation. I've written about the arcade-friendly Road to the Cup mode before, but yesterday was the first time I got my hands on it. It's essentially what you'd expect, in that you need to complete a bunch of mini-games to earn fans and then complete a hockey free for all (I wasn't actually shown that part, so your guess is as good as mine as to what it is). In other words, Road to the Cup is for those players who don't care about playing as real hockey stars and are instead content on letting their Miis pick up a stick and take to the ice.

For those looking for more of a simulation of real hockey, NHL 2K11 should meet your demands, too. When playing in traditional exhibition, the deep franchise mode or online team play (where five Wiis link up and every player on the ice is human-controlled), gamers will notice that skating is a bit simpler and more realistic this year. Gone is the turbo button and it's been replaced with more momentum-based skating that resembles the real thing more so than what was seen from NHL 2K10."
Platform: Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 2K11 Preview (IGN)

Thanks Steve!

Some nice info in there.
At this point, I don't care anymore about the controls, I want to hear about gameplay.
That's the one giant negative about Wii games. Almost every review uses up 90% of the review to talk about the controls. I know that's par-for-the-course considering that's the entire gimmick behind the Wii, but for sports games, I want to hear about AI and gameplay just as much, or more than the fancy control scheme.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Thanks Steve!

Some nice info in there.
At this point, I don't care anymore about the controls, I want to hear about gameplay.
That's the one giant negative about Wii games. Almost every review uses up 90% of the review to talk about the controls. I know that's par-for-the-course considering that's the entire gimmick behind the Wii, but for sports games, I want to hear about AI and gameplay just as much, or more than the fancy control scheme.
Hey Hank,

I hear what you're saying. I want to hear about gameplay and AI as well but I will take any info regarding gameplay and AI from reviews with a grain of salt 2K is notorious for shipping games with horrible default sliders

Anyone out there that played 2k10 on the WII and on the 360 and could enlighten us if the AI was similar or very different?

Last edited by BigH2k6; 07-19-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH2k6
Hey Hank,

I hear what you're saying. I want to hear about gameplay and AI as well but I will take any info regarding gfameplay and AI from reviews with a grain of salt 2K is notorious for ahipping games with horribke default sliders

Anyone out there that played 2k10 on the WII and on the 360 and could enlighten us if the AI was similar or very different?
Excellent question. I've very interested in that answer as well!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »