Home

NBA 2K11 Demo Impressions, "Flick Flick" Controls and How to Run Plays

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Demo Impressions, "Flick Flick" Controls and How to Run Plays within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #73
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: NBA 2K11 Demo Impressions, "Flick Flick" Controls and How to Run Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set Shooter
Isn't the Y button (triangle on PS3) the hop-step button? To make it become a signature gather, do you need to press the left stick a certain way at a certain area of the court and what's the timing of the shot stick after you press the Y/Triangle button?
I don't actually know how to hop step proper haha. But yeah, you just tap Y and you'll see the gather start -- when he spins back after the fake you can either pumpfake or release the shot as normal.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #74
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Gathers are stick dependent. If your stick is neutral you'll get what you see in the video, the little fake spin. If your stick is pointing away you'll get a step back. If your stick is pointing towards the basket you'll pro-hop or get something moving you towards the basket.

They all pick up your dribble so be prepared to shoot or fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 10

I know it shoudn't, but that KB pivot fake gather off the dribble is still bothering me. I know he does the bounce in conjuction with it on occasion but more often than not he bounces first then fakes (exactly like Jordan). In the game its all the same motion instead of the one-two step it usually is. As nitpicks go this like pointing out the continuity errors in great movies. I get that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set Shooter
Isn't the Y button (triangle on PS3) the hop-step button? To make it become a signature gather, do you need to press the left stick a certain way at a certain area of the court and what's the timing of the shot stick after you press the Y/Triangle button?
I have not played the demo. However, in 2K10, Y (or triangle) had a series of functions. Y while going to the basket performed the aforementioned hop step. Modifier plus Y performed the drop-step-ish spin (that often resulted in charges or travels). Holding back on the left stick while pressing Y however, performed a step back maneuver (one of which I very much enjoyed).

Is the word that Y will still do this in 2K11?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
I don't actually know how to hop step proper haha. But yeah, you just tap Y and you'll see the gather start -- when he spins back after the fake you can either pumpfake or release the shot as normal.
I think for the normal hop-step, it's just going toward the basket and pressing the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDotd
Gathers are stick dependent. If your stick is neutral you'll get what you see in the video, the little fake spin. If your stick is pointing away you'll get a step back. If your stick is pointing towards the basket you'll pro-hop or get something moving you towards the basket.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm wondering if they should rename the button to the "Gather" button rather than "hop-step." It's rather misleading given the amount of functions it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I have not played the demo. However, in 2K10, Y (or triangle) had a series of functions. Y while going to the basket performed the aforementioned hop step. Modifier plus Y performed the drop-step-ish spin (that often resulted in charges or travels). Holding back on the left stick while pressing Y however, performed a step back maneuver (one of which I very much enjoyed).

Okay, thanks! I didn't know that the modifier (LT/L2) affected the Y/Triangle button!

I've been missing out! LOL
Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #78
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Quote:
You got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #79
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:

Thanks, that's what I was sort of thinking... that, or it depended on the position on the floor + defense. Good stuff, I can't wait to get to work with Melo and the jab steps ha.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 1

Am I the only one who can't figure out this "flick flick" stuff? All I'm getting is basic pumpfake to spot up j.

I've experimented with it in triple threat, off the dribble, in the post (which gets me an up and under, but we all knew that). What exactly is supposed to happen, and what am I doing wrong?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »