Home

EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

This is a discussion on EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #393
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
This. Competition breeds innovation, superior products, cheeper price point. Even in sports games where it could almost be considered a white-wash Baseball games, The Show is still pushing the envelop. I can almost say with 100% certainty that if there were two companies making NFL games this past year there is no way the Madden Dev team puts franchise mode on the back-burner for an entire dev cycle. In fact I would wonder if the person who made a decision like that would still be employed if there was more than one option in the market for an "Officially Licensed NFL Game."
You can make a case either way. Someone in here showed where competition didn't make a difference.

Basketball games there is virtually no competition.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #394
Rookie

OVR: 14
if franchise mode is not improved I will NOT by Madden this year. Im sorry EA nobody gives a **** about Madden Moments, hardly anyone even cares about MUT either give me, Offline Franchise, Online Franchise and Super Star Mode. Then ME= HAPPY
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #395
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan188
if franchise mode is not improved I will NOT by Madden this year. Im sorry EA nobody gives a **** about Madden Moments, hardly anyone even cares about MUT either give me, Offline Franchise, Online Franchise and Super Star Mode. Then ME= HAPPY
The revenue that they made off of MUT makes it very unlikely they give that up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #396
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan188
They gather stats on how the game is used, if nobody played MUT and/or it didn't generate an expected amount of revenue it would not have returned.

Personally I don't get these kinds of statements, or are people really expecting them to go back on the 'we skipped a year to redo franchise for 12' stuff from last year?

Maybe a blurb about franchise expectations and a link to last years announcement about it should be put in the official M12 Information sticky.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #397
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
You can make a case either way. Someone in here showed where competition didn't make a difference.

Basketball games there is virtually no competition.
That's not even remotely true.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #398
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Maybe they aren't blindly purchasing it, maybe they're enjoying the game that is produced each year?

Madden and NCAA are easily the best investment of my video game dollars every year vs the time that I spend on them with few exceptions. When one has a stronger year or a feature gets more of my interest thats the game I'll gravitate to for the majority of the dozen or so seasons I'll play. So far only the unlicensed games have made me regret purchasing a football title, not Madden (or NCAA) having bought both titles every year since ~2005 and I've yet to go back a year or skip years because of some perceived slight or the humous 'they didn't change anything' that some like to claim. I am not sure how some of you guys define value from a video game purchase, but the time I am willing to give it is how I define it, and I am still playing a couple games/week of my offline franchise. I can't say I am doing that with any other game that I've had for 6 months.
Fair enough. I'll admit that I generalized at a point, and there are some that do have a genuine like for Madden. But there have been so many times where I have seen this all too familiar post: "I hate this exclusivity crap, and Madden needs to be better, but I need my football fix." That's mostly the point of what I was trying to get across. People complain about the game, yet continue to purchase every year.

And on the other subject, I've been playing Madden looooooonnnnggg before you (since Bill Walsh College Football and the first Madden on the SNES, to be exact). You started playing Madden right around the start of this exclusivity deal and it's understandable that you feel the way you do about the game - it's been the only option for you. I, on the other hand, have seen plenty of NFL alternatives, well enough to know that there has been (and potentially could be) better competition. And I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way. So please redirect the "perceived slight" comment to those that apply.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #399
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I totally disagree. All my anger in this situation is directed at the NFL. If EA/Tiburon could make a satisfactory game, that doesn't mean gamers still aren't getting shorted. For example, 505 games and their Euphoria technology could change the way football are played forever if it was used by the right developer.

Unfortunately because of the NFL's love of exclusivity we will never know. We have to take EA's word for it. The same EA who spends less on development of Madden because of how much they paid for the license. The same EA who said it was impossible to do what Gameday managed to do and had to eat crow and take a year off in 1999.

Because the NFL closed the door and any other designers making a game and EA spent so much on the license they are unwilling to throw money into development costs, football games will continue to be behind what the Show and NBA2k11 delivered.

7 years in and Madden has one of the worst superstar modes of any sports game, a barebones online and offline franchise mode, weaker mini game modes, a complete removal of tournament modes, historic rosters and playbook editors. All the while, they continue to spend fewer resources they do have to improve areas like MUT and Madden Moments that will collect more revenue.

If the NFL charged a little less and cared more about its fans, EA would have more funds to put into Madden and the door would be open for new technology. It's the NFL and they are free to do what they wish, it's just sad to see their greed watering down the video gamers segment of their fanship.
I see where you're coming from. I would love to have competition because it breeds innovation. My only point was that it wouldn't be as much of an outcry and backlash if EA/Tiburon made an exceptional game. An example for me this year is EA canceling it's basketball game. NBA 2k11 was so good imo I didn't miss not having a choice, this year at least.

I would love for it to go back to the past when we had a choice of games to play. Not just 1 other choice either. I'd love for there to be 3 or 4 NFL sim style games to choose from.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #400
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

That's just when I started paying for Madden, 2005 was my first NCAA game though. I've got a Dreamcast and the 2k titles in the closet, and had a couple for the Xbox too, but for a while it was a couple of us pitching in and playing through a franchise at a friends house on a weekend while others played D&D.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »