Home

EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

This is a discussion on EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #529
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

This is what I didn' have time to do yesterday.

Madden sales are basically flat on HD consoles, and decreased on mobile and Wii, with death of the PS2 and the continued poor performance by PSP platform accounting for a majority overall decline.

The far right 2 columns show sales of Madden 10 week 78 v M11 week 10, and YOY percentage. I am sure many of us would have expected it to be a much smaller number, I am not sure I was expecting the 360 and PS3 to sell 16-18% of their totals between weeks 27 and 78.

Madden 10 sold 1.8m copies between week 27 and now. Certainly can't expect that again due to the PS2/PSP, but the HD consoles were responsible for 780k, little reason to believe Madden 11 won't do similar numbers over the next year.

I am not sure there's much to be unhappy about here aside from probably the Wii numbers declining. This would be more interesting with multiple years probably (as if it isn't already riveting as it is! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg madden-yoy.jpg (165.5 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by mestevo; 02-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #530
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
Sounds like it's a good moneymaker for both sides. Makes perfect business sense.
Where did you get that from? Do you realize that this started with EA asking for "relief" of the payouts due to the possible lockout. What's not being told is that the request for relief is NOT just related to the lockout. EA is NOT making the money you're implying. But, whatever.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #531
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Where did you get that from? Do you realize that this started with EA asking for "relief" of the payouts due to the possible lockout. What's not being told is that the request for relief is NOT just related to the lockout. EA is NOT making the money you're implying. But, whatever.
You're just asserting a different implication is all, there's little to prove either of you wrong, just different interpretations to deal... often meshed with our own personal biases and/or objectivity/subjectivity on the subject.

As much money as EA spends on marketing, the NFL's games themselves are probably the biggest driver behind Madden (and the ad spots to relevant eyeballs they provide).

That's why they asked for relief, IMO. No games makes it a more difficult ROI to achieve. I am sure their current deal was negotiated with certain market expectations, and one of them was surely 'NFL games are being played'.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #532
Rookie

knighthawksfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Well I am 50/50 right now if I really want to buy madden 12 or not because I am not a huge nfl fan I am more of a college sports guy. So I might just buy ncaa football 12 and call it a day.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #533
Rookie

knighthawksfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Well I am 50/50 right now if I really want to buy madden 12 or not because I am not a huge nfl fan I am more of a college sports guy. So I might just buy ncaa football 12 and call it a day.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #534
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You're just asserting a different implication is all, there's little to prove either of you wrong, just different interpretations to deal... often meshed with our own personal biases and/or objectivity/subjectivity on the subject.

As much money as EA spends on marketing, the NFL's games themselves are probably the biggest driver behind Madden (and the ad spots to relevant eyeballs they provide).

That's why they asked for relief, IMO. No games makes it a more difficult ROI to achieve. I am sure their current deal was negotiated with certain market expectations, and one of them was surely 'NFL games are being played'.
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I was just saying that the "relief" talks with the NFL and EA has been going on before any talk of the lockout. And that the perception that EA is financially benefiting greatly with the deal is off the mark. Not implying anything beyond that.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #535
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14
dam.. first Nokia sells out to Microsoft, and now this even worse bad news.. its been a really bad week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #536
Banned

OVR: 3

Madden got scared after Nfl2k5...They knew they were gonna be in trouble if they didn't get 2k out of the picture ...I must say they did a great job and now we will never know what or how good 2k football could have been..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »