Home

MLB 11 The Show Intro Stutter and Game Stutter? ... Rebuild the Database

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Intro Stutter and Game Stutter? ... Rebuild the Database within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
MLB 11 The Show Intro Stutter and Game Stutter? ... Rebuild the Database

Now this is not widely tested... but everyone who has done this, seems to have fixed the in game stuttering and intro stutter.

And also would explain why those who did HDD upgrades, had their PS3 for a while have more of an issue than those who have brand new slims. (database is more garbled)

The HDD is constantly access by today's games, and while it is not a Windows style OS the PS3 uses (it is supposed to restructure every boot up and shut down, thus no defrag utility) it can sometimes get a little clustered, especially if you do a lot of gaming, and PSN demo downloading, etc.

These two links walk you through how to rebuild your PS3's database.

http://www.tawkn.com/?blog_id=596

http://www.ps3blog.net/2011/01/28/ti...recovery-menu/ (with pictures)

Those of us who have done this, eliminated the intro stutter, and in game stuttering all together.

It is fast, and simple, and all you will lose is the custom folders, messages, and playlists made (in which you can back them up ahead of time), and have to reapply proper audio/video settings.

Hope this helps clear this up for everyone.

NOTE: This is good to do once a month if you game and PSN heavy, or once every couple of months casually. Think of it like de-fragging your computer. So even if you don't get the stutter, it is good to maintain the HDD and have a happy running PS3. It will perform better across the board in all areas.
Platform: PS3

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 04-20-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Intro Stutter and Game Stutter? ... (Rebuild the Database)

Thanks!

Great note below on why you should do this periodically.

It is important even in computers because sometimes your hard drive will have a sector that gets corrupted by the pins scratching the small discs inside of them.

This can be caused by a virus, dropping your machine, causing heavy vibrations to the HDD while its running, or a static electric shock which can cause the hard drive to short out. Its important because when you rebuild your database it automatically detects a bad sector and flags it to prevent any data from being written on it. That is the point of rebuilding a database. (If you have ever done a defrag of your hard drive then you would understand it better.)

When data is written on a hard drive now a days the software will automatically pick a designated area on the HDD with enough space to install the program. Sometimes its randomly placed in several areas of the HDD. But the more programs you put on there the more crowded it looks on the Hard drive. So the next application will find a certain amount space to fill it with data thus chopping the entire application up and putting it in several places on the disk.

Just like when you scratch a Vinyl its ruined forever... However a HDD can prevent itself from "treading" there.

You might say "So... It can still read it right?" True but it causes more stress on the machine... Imagine if you wrote a book and skipped like maybe 30 pages between chapters. Then you decide to write a second book but you don't have a completely fresh new book. So you instead decide to use those 30 free pages of your previous book to write the new story. Some spaces you had to limit to 10 because you were running out of room. Think about how hard it would be for someone else to read it.

On a Hard drive there are several discs inside of it each with their own reading pin. So to make programs run faster it puts bits of information on each disc so each pin is reading data in the same area but on a different disc.

http://www.tawkn.com/?blog_id=596
Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Thanks for more explanation into this area!

Good stuff!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Great informational thread and I highly recommend rebuilding the database if you've had your PS3 for a good amount of time and depending on your usage of it, as well.

I've had my 80 GB fat PS3 since January of 2009, making it over 2 years old. I never really had any problems, despite using it extensively for Netflix, MLB.tv, games, music, photos, and web browsing (though I tried to limit what sites I went to but still).

I had a problem with MLB 11 freezing in the post game loading screen. Was convinced my disc or PS3 was dead or dying. A few members here (Blzer, EnigmaNemesis) suggested rebuilding the database, I Google'd what the hell that even meant and how to do it, and viola! Problem solved. In the process, I learned it's just a good thing to do to maintain a healthy system and will do it every few months so I can get the most out of my PS3. As the walk-through I Google'd said, the PS3 treats us well, and we should do the same for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

How long does it take to do?

edit... the blog says it took about 5 minutes if anyone else is wondering

Last edited by bukktown; 04-19-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

So what exactly does this erase? Music, pictures, photos?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

So did you guys select rebuild option 1 or 4?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
How long does it take to do?

edit... the blog says it took about 5 minutes if anyone else is wondering
Probably depending on how bad it is, took me no more than a minute though. But I also have a 7200 RPM drive in there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan3723
So what exactly does this erase? Music, pictures, photos?
Erases only messages, and the "custom folders" and "playlists". Not the contents within them. Either back up the playlists and folders... or recreate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
So did you guys select rebuild option 1 or 4?
Option 4 "Rebuild Database"

http://www.ps3blog.net/2011/01/28/ti...recovery-menu/

Option 1 just restarts the PS3 like restart on a PC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »