Home

First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

This is a discussion on First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added] within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #73
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What's new in NHL 12? Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Yes, they are both cool aspects to add to the game, BUT based on the video I'm wary of the goalie interaction. If the Goalie interfence penalty is touch or has to potential to be, this will be a very welcome addition. Last year there was a problem with Interference, so I really hope they have that fixed or there will be problems with these two new features.

The checking through the glass and such is also nice, so long as it's a rare occasion. If it happens often, the game starts resembling Hitz rather than a Hockey.
Very true. I'm hoping the glass breaking is like seeing HR reviews in MLB The Show but even rarer. There may have been one or two instances this NHL year where the glass broke because of a hit. It doesn't happen often which makes it one of those things where if they leave it out of the game it's perfectly fine, but if it's in the game and done correctly it's a bonus.

The big key for me is the goalie in play addition. This 100% must be done correctly otherwise I think it could make or break the game. Goalies are very touchy in video games and making this big of a change is pretty gutsy I think. My idea of them redoing the goalies was making them move and act more life like, instead of them playing with canned save animations and doing one fast gliding motions across the crease. I would have never thought about having the goalie actually in play and being moved by other players. Hopefully the goalie in play addition led them to also redoing all of the goalie movements and saves as well. It will be really interesting to see this in action.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 05-25-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #74
Rookie

Lofton's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

Loved it, I'm pumped for NHL12

As a defensemen I have been wanting to tie up the forwards down low, in front of the goalie.

Now just give me more option whens creating a player . . faces, more gear old school gear and I'll be happy
Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 10

so from the video i couldnt tell if you get real arenas finaly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 3
I am liking some of the new additions...but I need EASHL info. I am hoping that they let us chose the type of cpu teammates (2 way D, tough D) and give us the option to change a goalie. If my cpu goalie lets in 5 goals on 5 shots...let me pull him and try the back up.

I also hope they change the EASHL playoff formal. win 4 games in row...champs? Yuck. How about setting up 7 game series....and keep stats for the entire playoffs. That would be awesome...

Hopefully, the big announcement will involve the EASHL!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #77
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I really hope BAP and BaGM get a HUGE upgrade this year.
No more horrible stats. And I want a very deep BAP experience. Start in the CHL and work your way into the draft after 2-4 years in junior.
That also means, I don't want 40 TOI because I want it too. Give me the option for the coach to dictate my ice time and if I'm a rookie, then I get 8 minutes a game if I'm not ready.
No PP, no PK, no shifts if the game is on the line.

The presentation also needs to be overhauled for this as well. When playing BAP, I want to know what's going on around the league.
I want press conferences. Options to get into it with other teammates, coaches, etc.

I know I sound like a wet blanket, but seeing how little time the EA team has spent on the offline modes, I'm not going to hold my breath and I'm certainly not buying this outright.

Not only do these modes need a big facelift in order for me to buy, but the gameplay needs to become far more organic.
I should be able to tell the difference between playing the Wings or Canucks as opposed to the Flames or Bruins.

And I swear, if I see any goons or scrub players making blind, tape-to-tape, backhand passes while the CPU goes into Berzerker mode, I'm done.

I don't give a crap if goons can dipsy-doo in practice. There's a reason we never see it in a game. It's because they stink when playing at a high speed and against players that are really trying to stop them.
So NO dangling from John Scott! No threading needles from Zack Stortini! No sniping from Sean O'Donnell!!!!!

I still believe NHL07 had far better player type representation than the subsequent sequals.
Snipers sniped, danglers dangled and passers passed.
Since NHL09-NHL11, the CPU is able to do all of those things regardless of what kind of player it's controlling.
Enough is enough! No other GOOD sports game does that.
I don't see Brandon Inge hitting .560 in The Show. I don't see Steve Nash banging bodies in the paint in 2K11. I don't want to see guys playing out of their skin in NHL12 either.

Last edited by Money99; 05-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #78
MVP

OVR: 24

Totally agree Money. Part of the problem is that EA puts out probably the worst ratings of any of their games - every team is within 3-4 points of each other, and few players actually have specialized skills. It's why I just played the Islanders in the eastern conference finals this year and the Blue Jackets won the West. There's zero separation unless we go through and do it all ourselves.

Every player on most NHL rosters is between 80-89 and with the same exact set of skills regardless of tendencies or style of play.

I'm hoping they addressed this and everything you mentioned, but I'm not holding my breath considering goalie fights are a big feature...

Last edited by tyler289; 05-25-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #79
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I really hope BAP and BaGM get a HUGE upgrade this year.
No more horrible stats. And I want a very deep BAP experience. Start in the CHL and work your way into the draft after 2-4 years in junior.
That also means, I don't want 40 TOI because I want it too. Give me the option for the coach to dictate my ice time and if I'm a rookie, then I get 8 minutes a game if I'm not ready.
No PP, no PK, no shifts if the game is on the line.

The presentation also needs to be overhauled for this as well. When playing BAP, I want to know what's going on around the league.
I want press conferences. Options to get into it with other teammates, coaches, etc.

I know I sound like a wet blanket, but seeing how little time the EA team has spent on the offline modes, I'm not going to hold my breath and I'm certainly not buying this outright.

Not only do these modes need a big facelift in order for me to buy, but the gameplay needs to become far more organic.
I should be able to tell the difference between playing the Wings or Canucks as opposed to the Flames or Bruins.

And I swear, if I see any goons or scrub players making blind, tape-to-tape, backhand passes while the CPU goes into Berzerker mode, I'm done.

I don't give a crap if goons can dipsy-doo in practice. There's a reason we never see it in a game. It's because they stink when playing at a high speed and against players that are really trying to stop them.
So NO dangling from John Scott! No threading needles from Zack Stortini! No sniping from Sean O'Donnell!!!!!

I still believe NHL07 had far better player type representation than the subsequent sequals.
Snipers sniped, danglers dangled and passers passed.
Since NHL09-NHL11, the CPU is able to do all of those things regardless of what kind of player it's controlling.
Enough is enough! No other GOOD sports game does that.
I don't see Brandon Inge hitting .560 in The Show. I don't see Steve Nash banging bodies in the paint in 2K11. I don't want to see guys playing out of their skin in NHL12 either.
Just wow! You summed up all the frustrations about the BaP mode for the last few years. The only position we're you have a normal ice-time is in the net, but there's other problems with it so the mode isn't enjoyable.

I'm playing BaGM right now, and lock my player to RW. Do I have to say that seeing Zack Stortini or Jean-Francois Jacques doing "dekes" at the blue line makes me sick to my stomach? It's also frustrating to see Taylor Hall go for the deke in every offensive zone entering since the guy is more of a straight forward attacking the D type.

Problem with EA is always the same. They have so much "area" to work on that it's impossible to cover everything. I mean, you come up with a BaP mode and a BaGM mode, don't forget they have to work on the EASHL. Last year, since they we're working on UHL, they just added MasterCard Memorial Cup to the BaP and didn't anything else. Same deal with BaGM. The results was lackluster modes filled with bug and glitches.

This year, they come back with a vengeance (that's what been sold so far) on BaP, but I'm worried of the big announcement they have to make. If it's a new mode again, you can be sure there will be lapses in other areas. I'm just wondering if this year, since BaP and BaGM seems to be in top priority list, if UHL will have any tuning in NHL 12.

I'm sorry, but EA doesn't test the product before shipping out or they did without testing every aspect of the game. If they had just play a few games locked as a goalie, they would have understand how bad the AI was in this game. It's bad in NHL, it's even worse in AHL, and I won't talk about the AI in CHL, it's unplayable.

Once EA prove me wrong, I'll back off and apologize, but until then, since the huge revamp and money they made with NHL 09, this game as become more of a money cow than what we expect from EA.

Because, it's all about that. The game is good, but knowing what EA can really do, it left a sour taste in my mouth.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #80
Rookie

nddurst's Arena

OVR: 0

1) Winter Classic

I don't care too much about this addition. While it's cool to have the options to play a friend in the WC, I don't see the value to this if it's not a part of Be A GM mode where two teams get selected each season to complete in a different outdoor venue. If it's only Heinz Field, it's kinda no big deal to me.

2) Helmet-removing checks

This happens rarely--I hate how their touting it as a major addition to the game. Broken sticks actually makes sense, because when it happens the player is at a disadvantage. But I see this as just a small presentation upgrade--it's nice to have, but if it happens too often it's going to seem unrealistic.

3) Jostling in front of the net

This seems like it has a ton of promise, as long as it's implemented right. There needs to be a variety of pushing and shoving. It needs to be organic and random. But I like the idea so far.

4) Goalie collision / improvements

I'm all for the collisions, as long as they look organic and aren't overdone. The improved goalie "desperation" is a welcome addition--goalies in NHL 11 are crap. Any change is welcome, and hopefully they did a good job making them more realistic.

These features are nice additions if implemented correctly. But, I will not be purchasing this game based on ANY of the above. If gameplay, computer AI, or Be A GM sim results / GM AI haven't been improved, then I'll be skipping the NHL series this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »