Home

OS at E3: Madden NFL 12 Preview

This is a discussion on OS at E3: Madden NFL 12 Preview within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
OS at E3: Madden NFL 12 Preview

During the three years I have been on staff here at OS, I have been one of the more vocal critics of the Madden franchise. It's not that I have anything against the series, I just have never been able to understand how a company's flagship yearly title (in the US), one that carries the weight of an NFL exclusive license, could lag so far behind its genre-specific competition since the jump to the current generation of consoles. Believe me when I say that my expectations for Madden 12 coming into E3 today were pretty low -- Madden 11 felt more like a stopgap in the series than a true upgrade from Madden 10, and I was at the point of simply accepting that Madden would never achieve the completeness seen in games such as NBA 2K11 and the MLB: The Show series.

I'll be honest, I think I may have been wrong in a very big way. Based on what I played today, Madden is back, and it's well on its way to being mentioned with the elite sports games of this generation.

(Please Note: These impressions are based solely upon exhibition gameplay. Franchise mode and Superstar mode were not available for play or discussion at this time.)

Read More - OS at E3: Madden NFL 12 Preview
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
I'm really liking what I am seeing and reading!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16
Very good to read this! Can't wait for Madden this year!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: OS at E3: Madden NFL 12 Preview

If you get a chance to play some more or talk to the devs, could you please notice or ask them about:
  • Player momentum when running the ball. From gameplay videos it seems that 90 degree, 1 yard turns at high speed are still very present in Madden. Players don't need to plant their feet to turn.
  • Player momentum in interior OL/DL interactions. Looks like defenders aren't really trying to get to the QB. They appear to be more likely to stop their forward momentum and engage with the linemen.
  • Outside rush caught in blocking animations. So far many gameplay videos show QBs dropping back 15-20 yards, because the outside rushers are being locked into some sort of blocking/pushing animation. The Ravens@Chargers from Pastapadre shows horrible OL/DL play in this area.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: OS at E3: Madden NFL 12 Preview

I told myself I would try and avoid the hype this year after feeling that I got burned on Madden 11, but damn it, it's too hard.

Thanks for the preview, guys. Game is sounding and looking like the Madden I've wanted to play for years. Not the first time I've said that, but hopefully this year it turns out to be true.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 30
I think this is going to be a great Madden, this yr. I'm as excited about this one as I was 10.11, not so much.12 should make up for what 11 didn't do, in spades. I almost feel like 11 was a throw away yr just to get to 12
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Presentation sounds awesome how was commentary?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Is the option still in to slow down gameplay speed. Players seem to be moving way to quick.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »