Home

iRacing 2.0 Discussion With Developer Steve Myers

This is a discussion on iRacing 2.0 Discussion With Developer Steve Myers within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: iRacing 2.0 Discussion With Developer Steve Myers

You start in road and oval series that will have fixed setups. From there, you have the choice to either participate in fixed or non fixed races. iRacing also provides setups for most tracks. Not only that, they have made it tremendously easy to share setups others create. (It's as simple as joining the room and clicking on Shared Setups.)

If you've ever done something like rFactor or NASCAR Racing Season 2003 without aids, you'll have a pretty good idea how challenging it will be to drive. Keep in mind, this is a "sim" so you wont have automatic tranny or 3rd person driving cams (cockpit only).

I stayed away from iRacing for the last year or so because it just didn't feel it was worth it. I tried moving through the ranks starting on the Legends and Mazda but it just didn't keep me engaged. However, I've acquired the Nationwide B car and more NASCAR tracks, and now I'm sold and hooked completely.

We ran a Nationwide B car hosted session at Michigan last night with fixed setups and the winner (iRacing Vet) lapped half the field. A nice reminder, that there is so much to learn.

If you are accustomed to racing online and winning easily, check that expectation at the door. That doesn't mean you won't have fun. Learning how to conserve tires, keeping a good pace and staying smooth has never been more engaging/important.

I say, give it a try
Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
I really like the concept of iRacing but tbh it's too expensive for me. The base subscription doesn't seem to be that expensive but you have to pay $10-$15 for EACH additional track or car? And I thought Activisions CoD DLCs are expensive. Maybe I'll give it a shot in the future but now I just can't / want to afford it.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Rookie

GuitarJC13's Arena

OVR: 0
I would be on iRacing if it worked on a Mac.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

For those concerned about cost....keep in mind.

If you race 1 race a week, in all three seasons, iRacing will credit your account with $40. They also offer major discounts on of multiple item purchases. I turned $14.95 tracks into $11.95 buy purchasing them 6 at a time. I too used to be put off by the cost factor, but then I started to look at it from marathon point of view, and not a sprint one.

I buy NASCAR the Game 11, NASCAR 08, NASCAR 09, rFactor, Race-07, GTR2, Forza 2, Forza 3, NASCAR 2003 and a hand full of other games. When you add all that up, plus some of the DLC that I have purchased, it comes out to a total of roughly $425.

With iRacing I get updated tracks and venues, updated vehicles, updated graphics, updated physics--every 3 months or so. They also just ran a special where you had the ability to buy a whole year of membership for the cost of basically 1 console game. If you're interested in racing with some great guys, who are held accountable for their on-track performance, then iRacing is a no-brainer.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

Also, keep in mind, you don't have to buy all the tracks and cars to enjoy iRacing.

But hear what you say, it's not cheap.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3

damn, you guys and some guys on other forums really made iRacing exciting for me. I know I've said that it's too expensive for me yesterday (see post #9) but I've done some research since then and now I'm really excited about it. I'm sure it won't work on my current notebook (it's almost 4 years old and I have no desktop PC anymore) but I'll get a new notebook soon and then I'll definitly try iRacing. I already got a wheel (G25) and stuff, so I should be good to go when I get my new notebook. I'll probably buy this one, should be good enough to play iRacing, right!?

btw: bluengold, you got a pm
NFL: New York Giants
Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
...I'll probably buy this one, should be good enough to play iRacing, right!? ...
That laptop will work. I have the ASUS G72 and it works great on 1600x900 settings at full graphics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

Get a windows disk. I run iRacing from bootcamp on my MacBook pro. Not the newest version, but the one before. And it works great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »