Home

Madden NFL 12 Sales Rise 10% in Week One Over Last Year

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Sales Rise 10% in Week One Over Last Year within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
The sales mean nothing to me. The game is still mediocre. People can come out and hype the game up all they want, those are the folks that do not understand the true meaning of sim and/or do not want true sim. If you disagree, pick up a copy of MLB the show so you can understand what true sim is. I'm not hating on madden and I agree that improvements have been made (from a madden standard) however compared to other sports titles this game is trash.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 12 Sales Rise 10% in Week One Over Last Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
The sales mean nothing to me. The game is still mediocre. People can come out and hype the game up all they want, those are the folks that do not understand the true meaning of sim and/or do not want true sim. If you disagree, pick up a copy of MLB the show so you can understand what true sim is. I'm not hating on madden and I agree that improvements have been made (from a madden standard) however compared to other sports titles this game is trash.
This is a madden thread but I can punch many holes in your MLB the show is true sim. NO game will ever be true sim.

Unless you want EA to take away user control then you will never get true sim.

The show takes more user control away then any other sports game ever because if they don't then they would not be so highly touted.

Why do you think they can't get a real collision system in that game?

Because even their devs said that causing real collision like at second base instead of canned animation would lead to crashes in the overall package element.

No game is true sim so please do not use that word for a video game.

Madden may not be exactly as polished as MLB the show but it could if it took user control away like MLB does.

Much easier to get away doing that in a baseball game then a football game or basketball game.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #35
Rookie

to each his own - but I loved Madden 11 and preodered 12 when I heard Josh Looman (Head Coach Designer) was leading the offline Franchise design and the only thing I care about wiht Madden is offline Franchise.

I was shocked and extremely disappointed to see they not only didn't improve franchise they actually made it much worse - I am back to Madden 11 and Head Coach and not playing 12 at all.

Of course to EA it just looks like I am another happy customer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #36
Rookie

BlackJackRabbit's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Ditto.

Not only that, I think people have to look at the feature set. Gameplay, franchise, and presentation were all a major focus this year. If sales stunk in response, who's to say the direction they would take this franchise in.

I mean, yes, they are committed to getting this game to the level of NBA2K and The Show. But it would make me a bit nervous if sales stalled when they clearly focused on the things that I wanted as a sports gamer.
I don't agree with that. This game is an improvement, but there are still a lot of things in presentation, game-play, and franchise mode that are simply incomplete. Aside from DPP, there's nothing really new about Madden 12. On the field, when playing the game, what can we do in Madden 12 that we couldn't on the PS2/xbox.

Further dwindling sales would (more than likely) push EA to innovate a little bit more.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 16

Bought it day 1 and am enjoying it. Completely satisfied with my purchase. Still haven't tried MUT though and probably never will. Doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me
Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #38
Rookie

Just because a game has canned animations it doesn't mean it's not sim. People have different ideas of what sim means. A realistic interaction between players and less robotic movement is an example of sim to some. I'm sick of excuses that football is more difficult to make into sim then other titles because there was a game that came out almost 8 years ago that not only was sim but it captured our imaginations for years to come and is still considered the greatest football game made. Enough about all that. Madden gameplay needs a complete overhaul, from player interactions to running styles and for God's sake no more ice skating please.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackRabbit
I don't agree with that. This game is an improvement, but there are still a lot of things in presentation, game-play, and franchise mode that are simply incomplete. Aside from DPP, there's nothing really new about Madden 12. On the field, when playing the game, what can we do in Madden 12 that we couldn't on the PS2/xbox.

Further dwindling sales would (more than likely) push EA to innovate a little bit more.
This sums up my feeling exactly. There is nothing revolutionary at all about the gameplay in Madden 12. In fact, I would argue that it's barely as good as the PS2 days (at that time). The same old issues are still there - challenge system is terrible, commentary atrocious, OL/DL interaction still bad with DTs slipping by guards and getting 3 sacks/game, penalties are awful and missing, game audio feels like you are in a dentist office as opposed to a football game, no footplanting so fast players can zig zag around defenders at will, online franchise is incomplete and bare bones with no sliders or adjustable settings - also requires a 3rd party tool to be playable, pass trajectory is bad causing way too many LB bat downs still, WR/DB interaction looks very dated and players still do the eyes in the back of the head animations when catch balls. That's just a few. It seems that they are very delusional about their game. They do a few things over a couple of years time and all of a sudden they want a huge pat on the back. They apparently worked on franchise mode for over 2 years re-writing it. Really? There's not a lot there to warrant 2 years worth of work. That's the problem when you think you are better than you really are at something. This game is not a next gen title, not even close. It's an allright football game with a lot of stale and dated features that are either copied from other games or 3 years late in the making. It's certainly not a bad game, it's just average at best. I think the developers have gotten so full of themselves with this title because it's the only game in town that they feel entitled to get high review ratings and praise just because they improved a few things over the span of many years. In reality, what have they improved? There's nothing in the game that wasn't in the last generation of consoles, in fact there is even LESS. Having been around these games for 30 years, and playing Madden since it's inception in 1988, I really want Madden to be great. I really do, but if you really think there is a dedication over at Tiburon to make this game something like what NBA 2k or MLB the show is, you are simply kidding yourself. In 6 years Tiburon has managed to make a colossal mess out of sports gaming's most storied franchise. It's been an absolute failure on all counts and has succeeded at alienating fans of the series while struggling to find an identity as to what it really wants to be. When I play Madden I don't see or feel dedication at all. I see complacency, laziness and lack of attention to detail. A rushed project that was written by college interns that is riddled with bugs and incomplete features that met a deadline and put a smile on the face of an executive in a corner office. Hopefully someday it all gets turned around either by EA themselves or by the exclusive deal being lifted and allowing other games to enter into the market.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

I regret my purchase I'm putting it up on Ebay next week. Superstar hasn't improved at all since I last bought the game(2010) and I loved RTG in NCAA and was hoping they brought that mode finally up to par but no dice sadly. /sigh

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »