Home

NBA 2K12 Developer Insight #8 - Post Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Developer Insight #8 - Post Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K12 Developer Insight #8- Post Game

Now that's a insight. Last year I never took the time to remember all the advance moves. The year they're making it more intuitive. Cause Boozer needs all the help he can get. LOL!

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

Man I would say that this is probably the best insight released. The post game actually will mean something and actually force defenders to actually react as opposed to just pressing the block button when the shot goes up or constantly spamming the steal button.

Training camp is going to be a mode that all will have to jump into this year. This is shaping up to be one of the best simulations ever for sports.

EA please take notes!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

no comment...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #28
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Should have been a warning at the top. I was reading this while eating, and I had to give myself the heimlich...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Up-and-Under – The mechanic to pull this off last year was far too difficult even for our experienced players.
Really?

Quote:
In 2K11, there were no negative consequences to users spamming the steal button.
In 2k11, when the defender would attempt a steal against a posted player, it would spin the offensive player. Way too predictable imo. In many online matches when I would post up my opponents would immediately press steal causing my player to spin. The negative consequence for my opponents was it left me open to shoot a fadeaway or perfom an up and under.

Even more options out of the post this year. I like that we can do fadeaways and hooks where we want to.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Man
meh... too many options for the post game. I like my post game simple like nba jam.
I was actually wondering about this for less advanced users(not that I am one ). Like will they have a simple control scheme for the first time users of the game.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

2k you treat us sooo gud. Another insight with a gameplay vid, and a insight tomorrow which is all about Defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
By now you might be wondering, “how do I defend all this?” With all the new additions to the offensive post game, we had to show just as much love to the defensive end. The best way to do so was to allow users to counter moves or stop them before they even start.

There are three ways to defend post moves in 2K12: anticipate, counter and steal.

Anticipate – Let’s say you’re playing against your buddy and you recognize that he continually spins baseline with Robert Parish. ‘Kevin Willis isn’t that bad of a post defender, right?’ You may have been able to force a few neutral results but for the most part he’s getting where he wants to go. Luckily for you, you’ve now got the ability to anticipate the move before he performs it. In 2K12, you can press your LSTICK in the direction you believe he’s going to go and it will force a ‘defensive win’ that will make your buddy rethink his go-to move. Essentially, his spin won’t gain any ground and you’ve rendered it basically useless. Spins, Drives, Aggressive Backdowns and Dribble Disengage moves all have the ability to be stopped before they’re started, forcing your opponent into expanding their post game. Be careful, however, as a wrong anticipation will result in a clear offensive win. It’s a major risk/reward type of decision. If you’re playing against a well-versed post player you might be best waiting until the move starts and then countering it.

Counter – In 2K11 you may have found yourself defending a post move by pressing your LSTICK in a direction that you felt might be shoving the ball-handler out of where he was trying to go. It felt like the right thing to do, right? Unfortunately, the result of the move was already chosen so your reactionary pushing and shoving meant nothing. Thankfully, you can now counter the same moves that have already begun by pressing your LSTICK into the ball-handler. This means you can turn a potentially bad result into a more desirable one simply by reacting to the move you’re defending. Let’s take the Aggressive Backdown move, for example. Shaq is feeling Alonzo Mourning’s strength so he starts to aggressively back him down. Leaving your stick neutral, you’re recognizing Shaq is treating Mourning like a rag doll. The next time Shaq tries this, you can counter and immediately notice Shaq gain less ground. You’ve now countered the move and turned what would have been a “win” for Shaq into more of a “neutral” result. Against someone with less strength and weight than Shaq, Mourning could turn a neutral result into a defensive win, where the offensive player gains zero ground. The Aggressive Backdown also has two other counters, where pulling your stick away during the move will either “pull the chair” on the ball-handler (seen above) or will have your defender flop. Every move you see listed in the Anticipate section can also be countered. There’s a bit of a learning curve here, as you only have a certain amount of time to counter a move once is starts, so be on your toes.

Steal – As with 2K11, you’re also given the ability to potentially strip the offensive player of the ball during a post move. We look at your timing as well as some ability checks to determine the result. In 2K11, there were no negative consequences to users spamming the steal button. New to 2K12 are what we call ‘steal fails’. Each post move gives you a small window during which a steal attempt can be successful. That same window is available for failing. Steal fails are chosen based on ability checks, so if you’ve got a guy who is not good at stealing from the post, steer clear from that strategy. Otherwise, you risk giving your opponent a clear lane to the basket.

this is why 2k owns! that's as sim as it gets....these are all ways that basketball players defend the post irl bball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »