Home

Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism

This is a discussion on Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
My view is that I don't mind seeing some glitchy checks or fouls in FIFA/NHL because they have been rare, and it's sort of the give and take of having real physics -- and I feel the positives still outweigh the negatives. I feel like folks are latching too much onto some of the random glitches because they really aren't the true problem here. They might break the immersion to some extent, but they don't "break" the game or really destroy the fun that can be had.

But as it relates to hip checks just barely touching you and still resulting in you completely falling down, plus the lack of called penalties are the big issues for me. Those actually do affect your moment-to-moment experiences in the game. And, yes, they sort of dismiss the point of having a high balance rating or a big player on the ice.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Rookie

TerminallyOdd's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Hip Checks Hurting NHL 12's Realism

This is slightly depressing...I mean, how could this game have been released with this problem? I don't even mind the occasional weird/glitchy animations, it's just horrible that a simple graze of ANY part of hip checker's body will send your player flying. Sometimes you don't even have to actually touch the guy hip checking and your player reacts like he stepped on a land mine. Fortunately, I've only run into one hip check cheeser online so far, but I feel like it's going to be more and more who abuse it.

Hopefully EA can/will fix this via a patch...and soon.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
It has to be frustrating for the developers too because when I previewed the game, and also when it was demoed on stage, one of the big things was a talk about bumping your way through hip checks was possible. Crosby was generally used as the example of a guy who was strong enough on his skates to get by a potential hip check -- so at some point it was implemented it in the game without everyone falling over via a hip check.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19
To imply that this game has "physics" is pretty ballsy.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
R**k**

druez's Arena

OVR: 13
Look if anyone remember CM4 aka championship manager 4 it had issues. It was also the first generation of CM/FM that had full gameplay display aka not just text. It took a few iterations for it to get better, but in the end. I'm pretty sure we can all say we are happy they went that direction.

I feel the same way about NHL and FIFA. The first generation of engines like this are going to have bugs. But, untill they release them and get us all to play around with it they just don't know how everyone will feel about it.

We give feedback (constructive) I hope. They come out with a version next year that will be better. I applaud EA Canada for FIFA and NHL. They are taking chances and moving the game forward. I don't feel the same way with EA Tiberoun.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Rookie

Darkimpact17's Arena

OVR: 3
Yeah makes this game unplayable at times, hard for me to understand how a major flaw like this can be missed. I hope a patch is coming soon and this had better be fixed soon otherwise this will be returned, too many other great games coming out to deal with this unfinished crap.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 16
You know, in the last vid is king of looks like a bunch of ninja mooks diving for the hero. Only the hero ducked out of the way and they all bonked their heads. All they need to complete that vid is a coconut sound.

One other thing I have noted, playing NHL 12 is that when I skate up the ice I have three or four guys trying to get the puck from me. It seems noone is playing thier position....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5
Glitches can be dealt with and some even defended (such as the 09 curve shot or the 10 wraparound), but hit checks really can't be defended because of aura of power by just being in the vicinity of the hipcheck. The animations or the weird landings from time to time that look weird don't affect the gameplay, but since size really doesn't matter right now, we all can just wait for the patch. Had some great HUT games with friends who don't abuse it, but as we all know, any game is enjoyable with the right group of friends. A tuner set or a patch and doing randoms will be fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »