Home

Ten Areas of Improvement for MLB 12: The Show

This is a discussion on Ten Areas of Improvement for MLB 12: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
i didn't buy MLB 12 since i never finished my 1st season in MLB 11 so i just stuck with that so if this is in 12 i apologize but the ability to play a shorter season than 162 games. 162 game season is so long and for people that don't like to sim its hard to find time to play 162 game season in a timely fashion.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Ten Areas of Improvement for MLB 12: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I think my biggest area of improvemnt would be the baserunning system. I do like the stick vs the classic baserunning but I still think that just looking at what MVP 2005 did on PS2 with baserunning is a model for success.

I also agree with the October atmosphere. I am currently in my year one post season and the crowds are not any different. I would love to see the chilly air, the fan's waving their towels on 2 strike counts and rising to a fever pitch....some shots of players in the dugouts biting their nails, or spitting seeds on a crucial at bat...of course you can "x" through those cut scenes of players or managers pacing but that would add a sweet touch of realisim in the post season.

A "this week in baseball" type of show showing standings, hot and cold batters and pitchers and a AL and NL player of the week would also add another layer of immersion to franchise.

As far as fielding, that has been my biggest pet peeve of the series. And I went to auto fielding and manual throwing because it looks flat out beautiful and as sim as any sports game I have ever played, and I got tired of wanting to fling my controller across the room. Being a baseball player myself, defense is one of the things I love. And when the animations get in the way of the control...it can be very frustrating. What I don't want to happen is that in the name of control we lose the beauty of this game. I am very happy with the ratings playing out the result in the field. But if they find a way to make fielding much more smoother and tighter I am all for it. But I think it will be a tough task.
This is pretty much how it works, you can't have both. The more control we give you the less pretty the animations become. Unfortunately there is no way around it The only happy medium is giving you the ability to lock into those same pretty animations you see the cpu use.

This is what we have tried to do the past two years. Give you control of the player and your input and the direction you approach the ball selects the animation that will play.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoc22
Heck, I would just appreciate the game being easier for us folks who don't play that often. I can barely put wood on a pitched ball. Accordingly, I'm still playing NCAA MVP 07 Baseball.

Have something special planed just for this.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Better commentary and atmosphere. Better sliders - I need to slow down pitch speed more.

What about a hitter's eye mechanic? More hitting camera options too. I like 2Ks default batting cam with pitcher zoomed far away.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0
this game needs one thing its not the commentary, its not the camera angles it needs legend teams like nba 2k12 that would be great who agrees?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Have to disagree that licensed equipment would add to immersion factor....its cool but it doesn't draw to that extent for me.

I'm all for ANY presentation upgrades for any sports title. So I have to agree there. But what I wish they would add is in-season dynamic commentary along with in-season stat banners.

Kinda like NBA 2K......show me a quick list of the A.L. batting, homerun, or ERA leaders and highlight the guys that are playing in my current game. Stuff like that.
good article. I am in agreement with everything.
also, agreed, statum.

i'd be shocked if SCEA doesnt finally step into the new millennium with tv style presentation ala NBA/MLB 2K
i.e. stat overlays, league leaders, headlines.
its been 3 years of the fans requesting those babies.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 21
Unfortunately, as Russell has already said in threads on the board, it is too late for any real major changes. Just tweaks and minor fixes might be doable for the 2012 game. This will start up again after the game releases in March. As of now, I am sure most of the hardcore features are locked in and being tested. They are not going to add any new major functionality this late in the cycle. Not sure how big an effort some of the items are that were mentioned in the article, but chances are if they are not already in they will need to wait til the follow on release.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Unfortunately, as Russell has already said in threads on the board, it is too late for any real major changes. Just tweaks and minor fixes might be doable for the 2012 game. This will start up again after the game releases in March. As of now, I am sure most of the hardcore features are locked in and being tested. They are not going to add any new major functionality this late in the cycle. Not sure how big an effort some of the items are that were mentioned in the article, but chances are if they are not already in they will need to wait til the follow on release.
Well... to be fair....what he meant was that there is little chance to do anything except tweak things that are existing...AND to things that might have been changed/added for '12.
We don't know what those things are(yet!)

I can't really "argue" with anything in this article. Good stuff for sure.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »