Home

MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

StickSkills has posted their thoughts on the MLB 2K12 cover, as they talk about what the game used to bring to the table and what 2K Sports has recently released.

Quote:
Back in 2006, when VORP was still thought of as a planet in Star Trek and the Rays were cramming three digits into their loss column, 2K Sports hired Ben Brinkman from EA’s MVP Baseball series as their executive producer/savior for MLB 2K7. One year after signing an exclusive third party licensing contract with Major League Baseball until 2012, the series was already struggling to stay afloat. Brinkman was determined to turn the ship around, however, and had come armed with a “three year plan” to polish up game’s graphics, gameplay, and array of features.

As it turns out, ambition doesn’t always equal fruition. And while 2K7 was praised for making some major visual strides, MLB 2K8 ran into a wall of bugs and glitch-filled gameplay and neither game moved the meter on sales. Afterwards, Brinkman was out as producer, and MLB 2K9 – the culmination of the three-year plan – continued the downward slide by adding new features often more broken than they were innovating or entertaining.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

This was not-so-subtly revealed in a 2010 Reuters Interview with Strauss Zelnick, chairman of Take-Two Interactive – the parent company of 2K Sports. Speaking about 2K’s license with Major League Baseball, Zelnick stated, “It’s a losing proposition and we don’t have any interest in pursuing losing propositions.”

...analysts have pegged the company as incurring a $40 million dollar loss – annually. In any economy, let alone this one, that’s a one way ticket to discontinuation...the game as a whole still seems to suggest a company that’s just keeping the lights on in the shop until the last customer leaves.

I was just saying this yesterday in another thread: it feels like 2K has lost interest in this game, and that the series will go the way of the NHL 2K Dodo after this year. Excellent article, everything many of us have been pointing out for a few years now.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MLB 2K12’s Cover Is Everything The Game Should Be, But Likely Won’t (StickSkills)

The only way 2k stops developing MLB Games is if they begin to develop Football Games. I doubt it wants to become a 1-trick pony with only developing NBA Games.

The other thing is how the writer claims the ball physics need over-hauling. Not sure what game he played but last years title had great ball physics. Balls came of the bat @ a realistic rate.

The ball left players hands in a realistic manner. The ball hit surfaces in a realistic manner....
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

MLB 2k7 was a very good game, but the tone of this article suggest that Brinkman led a development team that gave it its all and maybe shot too high, while recent installments have been no effort affairs that 2k has given up on.

I'm sorry, but thats ridiculous to me. MLB 2k8 and even moreso 2k9 were disasters. Just terrible and completely unplayable games (especially 2k9, 2k8 wasn't actually that bad, but it was a definite step in the wrong direction after 2k7).

The author acts like the development team has just given up, which is total bs imo. Sure, maybe the higher ups at Take Two have thrown them under the bus, but thats hardly equal to 2k sports throwing in the towel. 2k11 was BY FAR the best in the series, and if not for some frustrating issues (that lets face it, pretty much every 2k game has had them... thats the one part of the article I'll agree on... QUALITY CONTROL 2K, for the love of god, QUALITY CONTROL!), 2k11 would be considered a damn fine game.

The pitching is still way better than The Show (although some would disagree, its at least a point of contention), the hitter is solid (much improved ball physics after the patch, a very good camera angle that makes reading pitches as good in a video game as ever, etc), and frankly, I find the entire pitcher/batter battle fantastic in 2k11 (my biggest gripe is that there are too few foul balls out of the box).

Then you factor in the fact that fielding was hugely improved (it still suffers from clunky animations too often and personally I wish they'd return throwing to the 2k8 days, but overall, it was actually enjoyable most of the time in 2k11, which could not be said for previous iterations), and the end result is that the on the field experience is actually pretty damn good (and from where it was left in 2k9, it is so much better it isn't even funny).

Heck, many critics said if it weren't for a lack of polish and the superior game modes in The Show, 2k11 could have actually been the better game, since many thought on the field that 2k was just as, if not better than, The Show. Thats saying a lot imo.

So why now is this author coming out and saying garbage like, "Yet instead of taking a cue from Verlander and toeing the rubber for one final effort, 2K Sports seems more inspired by the indifference of Roger Dorn in Major League."

Really? Come on man, yeah 2k11 may have made you scratch your head at times because of some of the decisions and lack of polish, but I don't see how thats evidence that they aren't willing to "toe the rubber for one final effort". I just don't see how a game that was well improved over its predecessor (2k11 vs 2k10) would then make you come to the conclusion that this team has given up. Lets wait and at least hear some info on 2k12 before jumping ship and declaring this game a failure...

Of course, I also disagree that the cover looks good, I think it looks like crap! I don't need/want puffs of smoke and all that garbage, it makes the game look silly and arcadey. So I guess I'm just coming from a completely different mindset than this author.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Now, if you want to argue that the 2k marketing team is a complete joke, or that the higher ups have given up, well then I'm all aboard. But that is VERY DIFFERENT than saying the development team has thrown in the towel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8
2k8 was the best baseball game of the 2k series. Ya the lag and bugs were unacceptable but the hitting, pitching, and fielding controls were the best implemented in any baseball game, ever. If they stuck with Brinkman for one more year and let him complete his 3 year plan I'm confident 2k would have the best baseball game around.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Rookie

So we are basing what an upcoming game is going to be like based on the cover... I thought some of the posts in this forum were over the top but come on...
Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Banned

Profit89's Arena

Controls should be simplified.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »