Home

Madden NFL and the Future of Video Game Sports (Grantland)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL and the Future of Video Game Sports (Grantland) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #41
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL and the Future of Video Game Sports (Grantland)

Quote:
Because there's a cost for every play we put in the game." A memory cost, that is. If White overspends, other aspects of the game might not work properly. Another thing White has to guard against is a play's "exploit potential," which can take months of testing to discover. "There's nothing that we can't do," he said, "because at the end of the day it's still software. What it comes down to is that everything has to be prioritized, because on a yearly sports title we don't have the luxury of something like Grand Theft Auto, which has a four-year development cycle. They can get a rate on a massive amount of things, whereas when you're doing a yearly sports title, everything is condensed. ... We can't put everything a team does in real life in the game, but we try to get the essence of what it is that they're doing."
I am trying to understand if this is an issue with physical memory on a disc or RAM from the console.

Makes me wonder if this will change with the new rumored consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The 22 players excuse is quite ridiculous IMO. It isn't like Madden is the first and only 11 on 11 football game ever made.
Yes I'm tired of this excuse as well. They act like they are the only ones who have ever made a football game. APF 2k8, NFL 2k5, and last gen all did it better in terms gameplay than any next gen Madden. There should no excuses.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #43
Pro

sactown_13's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Yes I'm tired of this excuse as well. They act like they are the only ones who have ever made a football game. APF 2k8, NFL 2k5, and last gen all did it better in terms gameplay than any next gen Madden. There should no excuses.
Hell, i thought last gen's maddens did a excellent job also. While some of this gen's games have been fun they lack the depth and pure football of the games on ps2/xbox imo. maybe its because im getting older and remember those days so fondly...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #44
Pro

sactown_13's Arena

OVR: 10
Madden 10-12 were improvements from the past installments on the next gen but whenever i purchased my ps3 back in the day i expected them to build on the success from the previous consoles. i didnt expect to have to wait till madden 10 to get a enjoyable game of football. here's to hoping this next installment will fix some of those gameplay issues that make me turn off my console.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
I am trying to understand if this is an issue with physical memory on a disc or RAM from the console.

Makes me wonder if this will change with the new rumored consoles.
I personally would say disc since it is developed on 360. HdDVD has much less disc space tan blu-ray
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
All I asked was when the last time you read a Madden executive talk about the stale game play. I don't recall Ian coming out and saying Madden's game play was/is stale, do you?

Cam Weber hasn't been on board a year, yet, and he was suppose to know before he came to Madden what the Madden forums were all about?

Puzzling to me.
Cam joined the team in the late spring after the direction for M12 was already heavily set in motion. He had minimal effect on M12 from a content or focus standpoint.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 2
A lot of stuff in that article...all I want is the ability to control a pass and have my receiver on the other end jump or dive when I hit the button. Been waiting for that for 6+ years. All the other stuff is meaningless to me until I have that level of control of the game.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #48
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
A lot of stuff in that article...all I want is the ability to control a pass and have my receiver on the other end jump or dive when I hit the button. Been waiting for that for 6+ years. All the other stuff is meaningless to me until I have that level of control of the game.
I think this is the ultimate crux of any sports game.

Control.

The moment you start controlling a player is the moment his ratings start to go wonky. If you run the remainder of the route what is the point of a route running rating? Same goes for catch ratings with 'user' catching or diving, etc.

I see and appreciate where you are coming from; but I also wonder of you react like I do when I try to user-pick in this game and the ball is right there for my DB and he doesn't catch it.

"WTF?! Dude, CATCH the BALL!!!!"

I might give Coach Mode a try just to see if it makes the games a little less of a scream-fest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »