Home

NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Pro

drewst18's Arena

OVR: 5
NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Software Engineer James Banting gives you a behind the scenes look at goalies in NHL 13. Goalies are powered by the all-new EA Sports Hockey IQ and feature goalie anticipation, complete limb movement and enhanced user goalie control.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL Quick Clip:Inside look at Goalies in NHL 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/u...-clip--goalies

Flippin hate that diving animation, once and a while is fine but not every game. Otherwise looks good
I'm sure it won't be perfect, but overall? I think this is a huge improvement.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

Yeah, I'm hoping that the sick new animation they showed Rinne doing at 1:31 is the the more common desperation save animation, with the dive being for goalies with a certain floppiness rating or once every blue moon in the appropriate situation.

WX
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm sorry but that looks kind of pathetic. I'm sure they were just trying to show off the fact that goalies can make a variety of saves even when they're out of position but it just looks so unnatural. This is really getting out of control. I mean watch Quick, he slides back door to stop the one timer and his slide basically takes him way out of his crease (because of no momentum or control from the movement of the goalie) yet he can just dive completely across the crease to try and make a save. It truly looks terrible. I'm sorry I'm bashing this but to me it just doesn't look good at all. The actual controlled saves that a cool calm and collected goalie would make do look good though. Desperation just looks ridiculous. Plus the guy in the video says the goalies don't have to fully complete an animation anymore. Well what freaking goalie in the NHL is able to stop his save and at the same time fly across the crease? I'm pretty sure the answer is zero. Those goalies look like they should be tearing their ACL every time they go from a slide to a dive across the crease.

I know I've made it clear in some of the other threads but the goalies just move, react, and slide in hyperspeed. Obviously I know goalies are supposed to react fast but something about them has just always looked off. There is just such a lack of momentum that the goalies just look so bad at moving. I honestly don't know if I can handle that anymore. It really may be the deciding factor on whether or not I get this game.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 07-06-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

The dives do look warp speed, but I think they look more ridiculous when they are shown over and over again, while there are only a couple people on the ice.

Hopefully they get slowed down a bit, because I agree they look too fast.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

^I starting thinking that perhaps the devs programmed it so that the Goalie Reaction Speed slider could curb this in the retail build...

WX
Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I just want to hear more about user controlled goalies. The goalie control in NHL 12 is an abomination for the user compared to the moves the cpu can pull off. Why users still don't have more control and access to animations the cpu has had for years now is ridiculous.

I'm afraid if there isn't a serious upgrade to user goalies, the trend away from 6 v 6 online is going to continue as less and less people want to play net. That is literally the only thing that keeps me coming back to this game. After playing quality 6 v 6 games, there's really no comparison to playing with the AI (online or off). Nothing beats an intense 6's game.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 11
Damn it! I cant understand why EA wont copy NHL2K8' s Golies!???! Still the best Goalies of all NHL Games ever! Hey, its 2012 and 2k8 is from 2007!...Think bout it EA. ;-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »