Home

NHL 13: Demo Impressions Roundtable

This is a discussion on NHL 13: Demo Impressions Roundtable within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I can't speak for Kelvin or Glenn, but so far I've tried all of these settings combinations:

Allstar -- default, normal, hardcore
Superstar -- default, normal, hardcore

I like Allstar hardcore the best out of everything I've tried.
Yep, so far I think Allstar hardcore gives the best game.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
The play by play needs someone else to immerse you in the experience not this year but hopefully next year.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 13: Demo Impressions Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Yep, so far I think Allstar hardcore gives the best game.
I'm pretty sure All-Star hardcore is where I'll be playing too.

AS/HC is giving me all the challenge I can handle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Banned

balcobomber25's Arena

OVR: 0
The new skating system is amazing but at the end of the day this is still the same game with the same problems. The character models are still a mess, the commentary offers nothing new, the fighting system not only is not realistic in any way, it is not fun.

I just can't justify spending $60 for the same guy with a new skating system.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by balcobomber25
The new skating system is amazing but at the end of the day this is still the same game with the same problems. The character models are still a mess, the commentary offers nothing new, the fighting system not only is not realistic in any way, it is not fun.

I just can't justify spending $60 for the same guy with a new skating system.
Would you have spent $60 on a game with the same skating engine but with new character models, commentary, and fighting engine? I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Those things do not affect gameplay in the slightest (unless you like to fight, I guess), but the skating engine and improved AI most definitely does. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Rookie

THE YAMA's Arena

OVR: 10
I was ultimately pleased with the demo. Actually may sell me on getting the game this year. The only problem is, FIFA comes out just 2 weeks after.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
If anything, the skating system is THE reason to buy a new hockey game, after all it is the main gameplay feature effectively in any hockey game.

It would be like introducing a new running mechanic in Pro Evo or FIFA, it would change the game completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSacamano
Would you have spent $60 on a game with the same skating engine but with new character models, commentary, and fighting engine? I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Those things do not affect gameplay in the slightest (unless you like to fight, I guess), but the skating engine and improved AI most definitely does. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
I agree. I can look past most everything if gameplay can be put into position to give a realistic game and it doesn't have to be out of the box. Commentary in very short time has factored very little into my enjoyment of a sports game and I typically turn it off after briefly sampling it. After all, I want to feel like I'm in the game, and that means I wouldn't be hearing the commentators, just the ambient sounds.

Decent models are a larger factor in this day and age. I can't believe a company with the fiscal power of a Hollywood movie company couldn't get that down. They just haven't for years in really any of their sports titles.

And fighting in a hockey game, just doesn't intrigue me one bit (and I'm not one of those "take fighting out of hockey forever" guys). But it seems more of a diversion than an essential feature. I'd rather the time be focused on the gameplay / AI.

I got the PS3 demo and will give it a go later on All-Star - hardcore, since that seems to be the recommendation.

Last edited by daflyboys; 08-26-2012 at 09:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »