Home

25 Days of Madden: Five Best Madden-Era Franchises

This is a discussion on 25 Days of Madden: Five Best Madden-Era Franchises within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
25 Days of Madden: Five Best Madden-Era Franchises

Ever since Madden's inception in the 1980s, the NFL has changed dramatically. There have been teams in Los Angeles, a team in Houston then no team in Houston, then a team in Houston again, and there have been teams which have defied all measures of time and they have managed to have a consistent enough track record to be among the best over two decades.

The five best franchises since the inception of Madden shouldn't be surprising, as we valued consistency in winning over all other measures. A team like Dallas, which managed a string of very successful seasons in the Madden era before fading to average over the last decade didn't get as much weight as another franchise which managed playoff appearances and just sheer wins over the same time period.

Without further adieu:
  • New England Patriots -- The Patriots had a rocky start in the Madden era, with a 1-15 and 2-14 mark. However, their sheer consistency over the last 15 years, with just one losing season since 1996, make the Pats a top choice for any list which includes the best teams of the Madden era.
  • Green Bay Packers -- There have only been a few losing seasons since the early 1990s in Green Bay. Brett Favre and then Aaron Rodgers have had two separate but very successful eras in Green Bay in the Madden era, including two Super Bowls.
  • Pittsburgh Steelers -- One thing is certain in Pittsburgh: winning is something you just do. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls in the Madden era, but just as importantly have averaged a winning record in the over two decades of Madden. Year in and year out, the Steelers have been a consistent team to choose if you wanted a winner.
  • Philadelphia Eagles -- The Eagles have had some clunkers (like last season), but overall they have produced one of the best non-championship Madden era franchises around. The 1990s Eagles were among the best in the league several years with four playoff appearances and a few solid seasons they just missed the cut. Things got really good through the 2000s, as the Eagles managed to make deep runs in the Playoffs over much of the decade. No Super Bowls for Philly, but consistency in winning for sure.
  • Indianapolis Colts -- Peyton Manning arrived in the late 90s and turned Indianapolis into one of the most consistent winners over a period of several seasons, with a Super Bowl victory to boot, over the Madden era. The Colts were able to manage a couple of Playoff berths pre-Manning as well, but after Peyton Manning arrived the Colts managed a Super Bowl along with an average of over 10 wins a year for a decade. To top it off, the Andrew Luck era promises to have a fair amount of success at least, guaranteeing the Colts will have a chance to be on this list for a 30th anniversary list.

Which franchises would be on your list?
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I would of liked the top 5 worse era-franchise teams in madden, this list was sorta predictable however I guess the top worse would be as we'll.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6
How about the Bears Defense?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
The Cowboys and Giants always seemed to be lush with position players. And with an exception of a few years, always are dominant in the game. This just feels like you looked at the most consistent teams in real life over the span of the Madden years.

5 worse? I would have to go with Browns, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, and Redskins.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Rookie

The 90s Eagles were amongst the best in the league??? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember one playoff win in 96 before being promptly bounced my Dallas. Dallas, New York, Washington, Green Bay, San Francisco, Buffalo, Denver, Houston, Miami, New England, San Diego... I can go on, had more playoff wins. How's that "one of the best?" They were never a threat to win a Super Bowl in that decade.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 14
The greatest franchise in the Madden isn't a team. It's easily the EA Sports - NFL exclusive license agreement. I don't think Madden would be around if that hadn't happen. Need proof? Look at Live or whatever EA called their NBA game.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Rookie

I think you have to mention the Giants , in fact...Why are the Eagles even mentioned while the Giants with four Super Bowls are left out?
Somebody had a brain fart
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
The 90s Eagles were amongst the best in the league??? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember one playoff win in 96 before being promptly bounced my Dallas. Dallas, New York, Washington, Green Bay, San Francisco, Buffalo, Denver, Houston, Miami, New England, San Diego... I can go on, had more playoff wins. How's that "one of the best?" They were never a threat to win a Super Bowl in that decade.
NE and Green Bay are already on the list so they don't count. Isolated the 90's gives Dallas, NYG, SF, Buffalo and Denver all have a significant gripe as well...however since the list is based off of "Madden Era" teams which means up to the present and not just in the 90's:
SD (since they can't manage to win playoff games in the second worst division in football - and I'm a Raiders fan)
SF (who played in the worst division in football until recently, and are now starting to re-visit the glory days), Houston (who never made a Super Bowl until they moved to Tennessee and who's most memorable playoff game while playing as the Oilers was the 35pt blown lead...which brings me to),
Buffalo (who was dominant apperaring in 4 Super Bowls but only really showing up for one of them, hasn't even been viable in years),
Miami ( have basically sucked since the retiring of Dan Marino another team that is up one year down the next and had their best year in recent memory when they decided it would be a good idea to run the Wildcat...yeah that's a great idea!!),
Washington (great team in the late 80's into the early 90's the Hogs, Gerald Riggs, Earnest Byner, Mark Rypien, Clark, Monk and Sanders 'easily one of the best WR trios in history' and the ageless wonder Darrell Green where all winners, then there was Norv Turner and daniel Snyder and the subsequent nosedive of one of the games most recognizeable franchises - thanks RG3 for reviving football in DC).

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »