Home

EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th

This is a discussion on EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #25
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th

I love that they're offering options. Some people prefer the sim style, and some people prefer a more arcade style, and this will offer both with as much overlap in-between as desired. It seems like this is giving everybody what they want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2015, 02:19 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Gameplay Features Trailer, Ships on July 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
I love that they're offering options. Some people prefer the sim style, and some people prefer a more arcade style, and this will offer both with as much overlap in-between as desired. It seems like this is giving everybody what they want.
Yep, not only are they offering the three distinct styles, but you can toggle many options in any of them. Really cool, can't wait to play this.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #27
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

I saw some things I liked in yesterdays screens and to some degree, the videos that I did like. The trees, bushes, tall grasses and objects looked fantastic. However (and I'm hoping this was a function of the compressed nature of the You Tube video) some of the fairway and particularly, the green textures looked unbelievably blocky! I think it was bad video because I was seeing a lot of artifacting, even though the video was running smoothly at what was said to be 1080p/60 FPS.

What I absolutely hated about it was that it was showing ball/follow camera only.... blech! Tiger Woods 14's broadcast camera was so bad that it left me no option other than to use ball camera, which I despise... and it was the worst implementation of ball camera I had ever seen in the series. While the RMPGAT ball camera looked better than Tiger 14's, it's still not something I could stand to play the game with for long. I have an idea they'll have a couple of options to ball cam, but until I see them in action, it's hard for me to get excited this game.

I was never able to embrace TW 14's diagonal swing, even though I liked the idea of having a difficult to master simulation difficulty mode. The diagonal swing mechanic seemed counter-intuitive to me for two reasons:

1.) it didn't register with my senses why I was having to swing from 8 o-clock to 2 o-clock to in essence, hit a ball straight.

2.) my senses kept telling me that if I did hit the ball with the swingpath I was taking - on scale - I would have hooked the ball across two fairways

Was it difficult to master? Sure it was. My scoring average went up drastically, but it felt more like it was because I was failing a thumbstick gymnastics exercise rather than performing an action that was to some degree modeling a golf swing in terms of bearing. Tiger Woods 10 had what I considered to be a great simulation difficulty without having to resort to something as drastic as the diagonal swing model... dial the club sweetspot % down to the mid to upper teens and I was doing good to hit 65% of the fairways and greens.

What we can't tell yet is just how difficult it's going to be to track the vertical axis when you want to hit the bail straight in RMPGAT, in Tour difficulty... well, with a stock controller anyway. It may be something closer to what I"m speaking of in my TW10, club tuner altered example than what we had in Tiger 12 and 13's Elite difficulty levels.

I'm willing to wait this out and see just how compelling the stock Tour difficulty option is going to be. It may NOT be the 90% FIR/GIR fest that many are using Tiger 12 and 13's Elite difficulty from which to extract that data. I understand what EA is trying to do in creating three base difficulties, but they've also left some options in there to allow those who want something more extreme to achieve it.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
MVP

Lisac's Arena

So this was going to be a day 1 buy for me with a April release date, than i was on the fence with a early June release, Now with a July 14th release its a def no go. As the game looks amazing and I was always a fan of the old golf games this one comes out to close to the release's of Madden and NHL.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #29
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisac
So this was going to be a day 1 buy for me with a April release date, than i was on the fence with a early June release, Now with a July 14th release its a def no go. As the game looks amazing and I was always a fan of the old golf games this one comes out to close to the release's of Madden and NHL.
I think this will definitely cut into potential sales for RMPGAT, not to mention taking some of the spotlight away from it. I'm seasonal about football and won't touch one until September, so this game could have 6 weeks of seat time with me before Madden hits, if it I purchase it after trying the Trial Version via EA Access. There's no guarantee of even that at this point, although I suspect they'll be enough there to convince me to buy.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 4

I just hope they fixed the "TOUR" difficulty setting. In TW14, whenever I tried to use the TOUR setting, my ball would almost ALWAYS be blown off course, or a bad shot would make hit shank or slice even with a perfect swing. I enjoyed the challenge of TOUR difficulty; but it wasn't challenging after a couple holes, it was impossible. Just my .02

And P.S.-- I'm definitely buying this game because I've been waiting too long for a golf game, (THAT, and I'm not buying Madden again until they right their ship, but with a broken rudder it's hard).
Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #31
Banned

Yeah, I found the hardest swing difficulty to be too hard for me, so I just dropped it a notch. Same goes for adding green grids. I live how well the mix and match difficulty is done.

And I agree with onlooker that the straight up and down motion was better than the changing diagonal motions, which goes against everything I've been taught about swinging a club. You need to master one fluid motion, then adjust your stance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #32
Banned

Also, as much as I love the no zooming to aim, I do wish we could get a decent zoom to just look at the expected landing area. This was what you got in TW11, along with makers for distance and elevation. you just didn't get an aiming reticule, and when you went back to your golfer view, he remained aimed straight ahead.

Knowing the little stuff about how a hole is laid out is something every pro golfer and caddy just knows from lots of experience. I don't think providing a shortcut to that experience is a bad thing.

I will be interesting to see how well the overhead map will work in this regard. But sometimes, knowing where the crest of the hill is will affect how much club you are willing to use to get your ball someplace that gives you a nice view of your next shot. It also might mean you are better off using less club, since you can't get over it, and you might find a better lie somewhere else.

But overall, they've shown enough that as long as the game plays as well, is mostly bug-free, and isn't missing major features, it's an easy buy. Hopefully Country Clubs are not the big missing feature, because it is a great way to find a group of golfers that want to play competitively using the same settings.

I can also see waiting it out to see how soon it hits The Vault in EA Access, but I'm ready for next gen golf now. What I might do is buy this, but wait to upgrade to the next version when it hits the The Vault. Golf just doesn't need to be an annual game. I guess it depends on what they ado the next game to make it compelling.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »