Home

Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision to Stop Making Sports Games

This is a discussion on Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision to Stop Making Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision to Stop Making Sports Games

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey recently interviewed three men who have helped shape Microsoft's video game legacy: Xbox designer Seamus Blackley, former Xbox 360 frontman Peter Moore, and current Xbox One headman Phil Spencer. While the entire hour-and-a-half discussion is an informative listen, sports fans will particularly want to hear the conversation from 19:08 to 22:45, where Peter Moore explains Microsoft's decision to drop-out of the sports gaming business shortly after signing a deal with Don Mattrick -- then President of Electronic Arts' Worldwide Operations -- to finally get EA's games onto Xbox Live. NCAA Football 2005 was Electronic Arts' first Xbox title to include online play, despite the fact that Microsoft's gaming network had been up and running since November of 2002.

Read More - Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision To Stop Making Sports Games (Written by Jayson Young)
Platform: Xbox
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Ah we didn't realize at the time that we were in the golden age of sports game back then. Now it feels like we are almost extinct
Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
That 2003/2004 timeframe was the pinnacle of sports gaming for me. Most sports had 2 or 3 options to choose from. Games were starting to mature on that generation of consoles. And while online gaming was there, it didn't quite dominate the landscape as it does today. Good times.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3
I had alot of those XSN sports titles, along with the 2k and EA title for those years. Now I have one game for each sport which are now a few years old, with no intention of buying newer version.

It's pretty sad when you think about it. I went from having multiple games of the same sport each year to 1 game of each sport every 4-5 years.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
Is it just a coincidence that Moore would help in canning the Microsoft published sports titles and then go on to be one of the leading people at EA Sports? I really miss those days having different playing and looking options of the same sport.

Now, we're down to one title for 3 out of the 4 major sports with no option for baseball in sight for Xbox One owners. Never thought that a major sports title would become a "console exclusive" back in the day..

I just want my options back, but I know that isn't very likely.. And less we forget that we haven't had a boxing or tennis title in a few years as well, yet we see tons of racing games in what is said to be a "dying" genre.

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 07-03-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19
Man I miss NCAA football, especially during 4th of July weekend when it was getting set to release every year. NCAA 14 doesn't cut it for me anymore. Last summer it still did, but this year I really really miss not having that game. Anticipating the NCAA football release every July was by far the best time of year on this website.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0
Miss options so much
Old 07-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Sounds like typical EA "we'll bring online play to our games as long as you stop making sports titles." Man I'd love to see some more competition in sports games but unfortunately I fear those days are all but over. Even if we were to get a new NFL, NHL, or MLB game it would really have to impress to make a name for itself or else people will just brush the series.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »