Home

Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision to Stop Making Sports Games

This is a discussion on Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision to Stop Making Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Pretty much why Madden wont ever see competition again, sports titles cost too much to make and dont get the return on investment unless you're the number one selling title; no one wants to take a chance and loose money for a few years to build a brand anymore, they rather go after the guaranteed money.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Pro

Zlax45's Arena

OVR: 9
No talk of Links which was fun too?
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
NBA Inside Drive was a really good game and could have been great if given a few more years of life....the same for NFL Fever....smh @ Peter Moore and the EA power move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #12
Rookie

mcmax3000's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlax45
No talk of Links which was fun too?
Links was great. It's still to this day probably my favourite golf game of all time.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 14
nfl fever was fun
Old 07-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Peter Moore Discusses Microsoft's 2004 Decision to Stop Making Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
Pretty much why Madden wont ever see competition again, sports titles cost too much to make and dont get the return on investment unless you're the number one selling title; no one wants to take a chance and loose money for a few years to build a brand anymore, they rather go after the guaranteed money.
It's an easy choice if you're a publisher today wondering what kind of game you want to greenlight:

A) You pay lots of up-front money for league licensing rights, while competing in a relatively small market, alongside other franchises whose customers have 15 to 25 years of ingrained purchasing habits.

B) You create your own IP from scratch, own all the rights, and operate in a market that's much larger than the limited sports genre.

Option B makes the most sense, and the most cents. Especially with how much higher the costs are for making a 3D game in 2015 versus making a 3D game in 2005.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have a PS4 and while I really enjoyed it the first few months that I had it, it has really lost it's appeal to me as there just are not enough sports titles that I like to play. I have The Show 15 and NBA 2K15 which are good games but the lack of an appealing football title, no college sports titles, and the constant catering to the arcade/online crowd, I am pretty much finished with my PS4. I will be allowing my son to take it to college with him and more than likely, I will just GIVE the system to him. He likes the role playing games as well so he will get way more use out of the system than I will.

Good thing that I kept my PS3 and the MANY sports titles that I have purchased over the years!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2015, 03:20 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

It's pretty sad when you think about it. I went from having multiple games of the same sport every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »