Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Licensing is completely different than other sports games. If that was not the case, I could agree with you. Since it isn't, I'll respectfully disagree. If there was no licensing/likeness concerns, there would be a playoff.

I don't own the game and probably won't based on the reviews but I'm having a hard time figuring out how licensing would prevent a playoff. Could you please explain?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #42
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I don't own the game and probably won't based on the reviews but I'm having a hard time figuring out how licensing would prevent a playoff. Could you please explain?
I asked this question a few years back about the lack of playoffs in the Tiger Woods series... I believe it was Tiger Woods 13 I was asking about in particular. I had suggested that they just use the ball tracers to represent the shots of the other player(s) with whom you were involved with in the playoff. They responded with the fact that they had considered this and asked their legal dept. about it. Their legal council decided that using a real player's name along with even only a ball and shot tracer to represent them in a playoff *could* be construed as an unauthorized use of said player's "likeness".

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but it's a chance they didn't want to take. In the wake of the NCAA Football lawsuit, I can understand it.

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 08-17-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I asked this question a few years back about the lack of playoffs in the Tiger Woods series... I believe it was Tiger Woods 13 I was asking about in particular. I had suggested that they just use the ball tracers to represent the shots of the other player(s) with whom you were involved with in the playoff. They responded with the fact that they had considered this and asked their legal dept. about it. Their legal council decided that using a real player's name along with even only a ball and shot tracer to represent them in a playoff *could* be construed as an unauthorized use of said player's "likeness".

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but it's a chance they didn't want to take. In the wake of the NCAA Football lawsuit, I can understand it.
I understand the paranoia over lawsuits but that seems lame. A workaround would be simply to post the results of the other player in the playoff before the user player tees off. That would be better than nothing.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #44
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I understand the paranoia over lawsuits but that seems lame. A workaround would be simply to post the results of the other player in the playoff before the user player tees off. That would be better than nothing.
It sounds lame, but I'm not the one putting my money on the line to risk it. Yes, posting the score of the other playoff player for each hole would be better than what we've got now.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
It sounds lame, but I'm not the one putting my money on the line to risk it. Yes, posting the score of the other playoff player for each hole would be better than what we've got now.
The other solution would be to only have people in the game with whom they have a signed agreement and the rest of the players are fake generated players.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #46
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
The other solution would be to only have people in the game with whom they have a signed agreement and the rest of the players are fake generated players.
That's the same conclusion I came to some time back. Makes the most sense to me.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
That's the same conclusion I came to some time back. Makes the most sense to me.
When you look at other sports games that's how they do it. MLB the Show doesn't have real minor league players because they have no license with them.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #48
Rookie

Maligx's Arena

So this game doesn't support the move controller? I had a lot of fun with my friends using the move controller attached to a swing stick in the last tiger woods game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »