Home

NHL 16 Video and Details - Be a GM Player Morale

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Video and Details - Be a GM Player Morale within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #17
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 16 Video and Details - Be a GM Player Morale

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Honestly (and I could be completely wrong) I don't buy the budgets of development team. The whole thing just seems like a lack of focus on anything offline, or not benefiting online gameplay.

AI, roster sharing, Be a GM. All things that have been largely ignored for years. While they have completely revamped the way EASHL plays, and have daily updates and Facebook posts about HUT. I get that they're going where the money is, but to completely ignore an entire demographic of your fan base is just absurd to me. EA would be better off selling the online portion separately, and giving another team a shot at handling the offline gameplay. As someone else mentioned, things like EASHL aren't even NHL related. They could make that it's own, independent game mode, and people I'm sure would still toss $15 to play it.
I actually meant to say staff members not budget. I'm in agreement with you about budgets. I think it's just an excuse for the most part. I do think when it comes to licensing arenas, equipment, NBC, etc. that it comes in to play, but doesn't as far as them adding features that nearly every other game has.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

So one thing I saw in that video is that ratings are still HORRIBLE. Anyone want to tell me what Morgan Reilly has done to start the game as an 87? Please? If he's an 87, are Erik Karlsson and Duncan Keith 102-105? Because they sure as **** aren't a mere 3-5 points better than Morgan Reilly right now.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

It'll be interesting to see how this whole player morale thing will work out.
It's not something I was really clamoring for, but I do appreciate EA's efforts to add a human element to this mode.
And it's certainly a factor in real life as well.
Just yesterday there was an article on Puck Daddy that stated re-signing Stamkos might be harder than one thinks considering Stammer's frosty relationship with John Cooper.
Stamkos does not want to play RW and Cooper (allegedly) doesn't consider Stamkos to be one of his 'soldiers'.

If EA can implement a realistic version of that scenario, it'll make the GM mode a lot more enjoyable.

Saying that, I would have really preferred they used their time to incorporate the various global leagues into GM mode instead.
I'd love to run an OHL team, or a team overseas.
Or how about getting fired and having to find a job in Europe, or the CHL before working your way back to the NHL?
The same could be said for the BAP mode as well.

I'm still intrigued by this new dynamic and will love to see how it affects my team (and others).

P.S. I would LOVE if EA (or anyone else) were able to incorporate phones, tablets, PC's to run your team while not online.
I'd probably kill hours each day making transactions and moves on my phone while at work.
That way, when I got home, I didn't have to spend a lot of time dealing with injuries, line-ups, trades, etc.
Food for thought.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
So one thing I saw in that video is that ratings are still HORRIBLE. Anyone want to tell me what Morgan Reilly has done to start the game as an 87? Please? If he's an 87, are Erik Karlsson and Duncan Keith 102-105? Because they sure as **** aren't a mere 3-5 points better than Morgan Reilly right now.
We have to live with this as it's always been this way.
I think it's a combination of EA and the PA's effort to ensure NHL players are always ranked above 80.
Wasn't John Scott an 82 in NHL15?
There are probably 500 pro hockey players - not in the NHL (and some amateurs) - that are better hockey players than him. But because he's in the NHL, he has to be rated in the 80's.
That's my theory anyway.

I've never really cared for an OV rating. What does it even mean? Are all attributes weighted the same?
Will shot blocking be considered equal to shooting accuracy or skating?

And if an 85 felt considerably different than a 90, then it doesn't matter.
But that seems to be the issue. There's hardly any difference in players despite what their ratings are. 77, 88, 91, it all feels and plays the same.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #21
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Well, I still hope for a decent game, but... It really seems like we are seeing the affects of lack of competition for EA. Both NHL and Madden have not seen much useful innovation in years. Regarding budget - Madden sells about 1.5 - 2 million copies the week of release accross all platforms, whereas NHL sells what, 250k copies?

But the Be A Pro mode is something I enjoy, and the improvements to that mode look promising. The different training options look cool. And of course, simming to your next shift is a must. Be A Pro is probably where I'll be spending a lot of time if I do end up purchasing this year's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Well, I still hope for a decent game, but... It really seems like we are seeing the affects of lack of competition for EA. Both NHL and Madden have not seen much useful innovation in years. Regarding budget - Madden sells about 1.5 - 2 million copies the week of release accross all platforms, whereas NHL sells what, 250k copies?

But the Be A Pro mode is something I enjoy, and the improvements to that mode look promising. The different training options look cool. And of course, simming to your next shift is a must. Be A Pro is probably where I'll be spending a lot of time if I do end up purchasing this year's game.
I think the NHL game sells around 750-850K.

What's hard to believe is that in the beginning, NHL was selling as much, or MORE than Madden.
Not sure what the totals were, but I remember reading that somewhere.

That first NHL game was so freakin' good. It blew my mind.
I worked as a busboy and worked my butt off to save up for a Sega Genesis just for this game.
I think after buying the system, an extra controller and the game, it cost me over $500.
And that was in '91?
That's a lot of tables I had to bus, haha!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Hope there's an on/off option....just in case.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #24
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I think the NHL game sells around 750-850K.

What's hard to believe is that in the beginning, NHL was selling as much, or MORE than Madden.
Not sure what the totals were, but I remember reading that somewhere.

That first NHL game was so freakin' good. It blew my mind.
I worked as a busboy and worked my butt off to save up for a Sega Genesis just for this game.
I think after buying the system, an extra controller and the game, it cost me over $500.
And that was in '91?
That's a lot of tables I had to bus, haha!
Yeah, I was speaking of release week sales, I think Madden sells close to 7 million a year total, FIFA something like 10-12 million total.

I played every NHL game from NHL 97 on PS1 until about NHL 04, and have been purchasing about every other year since then. Never was into hockey before I got a PS1. But the game back then on PS1 was every bit as enjoyable, if not more so for some reason, as any current gen version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »