Home

Throwback Diamond Cards Are Hurting MyTeam Mode

This is a discussion on Throwback Diamond Cards Are Hurting MyTeam Mode within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #33
QNo
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Throwback Diamond Cards Are Hurting MyTeam Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
Yeah, because a lineup of Curry, MJ, LeBron, KD and prime Shaq is the realism that people flock to this mode for.

MyTeam isn't even basketball, it is glorified MyPark because everyone on the court is a hall of fame level player. The only time I enjoy MyTeam are the first two seeds of RTTP, the rest is trash
Just because MyTeam is like that doesn't mean that it has to be. They could offer a lot of different game modes with different kinds of restrictions. A lot of guys in the MyTeam forum here on OS are sim players who enjoy playing with legends, tinkering with different kinds of lineups, and enjoy the collection aspect of the mode. A lot of us create and play with theme lineups. An online mode that pairs you up against an opponent of similar strength teams or one with more restrictions akin to the first RTTP seeds are being asked for constantly. Furthermore, there's a different kind of irrealism in having a lineup full of HoFers vs a lineup of fantasy cards to begin with.

Speculation: To me, it seems like the source of the majority of problems of this game mode stems from the fact that nobody on the staff has spent more than a few hours playing MT. Because many of those problems become obvious pretty quickly, with a decent percentage of them being legacy issues. The fact that they're not being addressed makes me think that nobody on staff plays MyTeam, because if they did they would have done something about those glaring issues after 2-3 years.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #34
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuggler
Yeah, because a lineup of Curry, MJ, LeBron, KD and prime Shaq is the realism that people flock to this mode for.

MyTeam isn't even basketball, it is glorified MyPark because everyone on the court is a hall of fame level player. The only time I enjoy MyTeam are the first two seeds of RTTP, the rest is trash
You can play it however you want, that's the idea, you get to put together your favorite team of current and historical players. It's the only mode where you can meaningfully use your favorite historical players. And since alot of are older now that's important. I play with mostly Knicks and I've always been able to beat any team. The only thing people are asking for is that the player attributes are somewhere in the ballpark of reality and that's not happening.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #35
Rookie

XxCavaliers360's Arena

OVR: 1
This is so ****ed up. I'm glad people have a reason to use Luis Scola, but this is so bad.

Wait, now that I think about it, I kind of like this. These cards are based on a single-game performance, correct? So if Scola was playing like a 96 OVR in that particular game, then this makes sense.

Smoove said it best: these should be Moments cards.

It will at least be refreshing to see some different and unexpected players in the higher seeds. Just waiting for that Moments MJ 200 OVR Finals card.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #36
Rookie

I don't even play MyTeam online, just through domination and the challenges, but these diamond cards still manage to diminish my desire to play the mode. Just knowing they are part of the collection weakens the appeal of the card system. Why grind away to get Lebron when you know there is a Luis Scola out there that is better?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #37
Rookie

woshihuxingtan's Arena

Thank you Jayson Young, finally someone talk about that!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:25 AM   #38
Rookie

basketballest's Arena

What is with the dynamic rating??? Kobe has been great the past 2 plus weeks yet they havent updated him but have other players? Are they doubtful? That shouldnt matter because A) its ****ing Kobe Bryant! and B) it is meant to be current form. If they actually watched NBA games they would see Kobe has his legs back and is a completely different player then what he was a couple of weeks ago. Kobe is Kobe again.
I have been playing A LOT of myteam this year but it looks like I am going to quit wasting my time and energy.
What a shame.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #39
Rookie

I also agree with a lot of JYoung stated but I do question his issue with 3rd party resellers of MT. 2K could easily slow down that market if they themselves quit being greedy and hypocritical:

1. Black Market prices - Scalabrine 500k MT price tag, Amethyst really? Steve Nash version (4 or 5) - 750k. Point being is that one can't accumulate those MT amounts without 3rd party bulk MT sellers or wagering (which 2K dislikes as well). So why feed the beast with their own exorbitantly priced cards?

2. Pack odds discourage more than encourage. Who wants to pursue Dynamics that are intertwined with Current cards? Current and Dynamic players are identical, so why would 2K co-mingle both card-types in its Butler packs. After all, this only further reduces pack odds. If I want to build up my Dynamic pool, I'll have to pursue a 3rd party MT source rather than Butler pack pulls. At least I'll know what I'll get for my MT.

3. Once a MyTeam owner reaches a 1000+ cards, pack pulls are merely getting you doubles and some badges. Ironically, even badges have incredible pack odds. Look at badge prices of shooting badges like Dead-Eye, Relentless Finisher, Posterizer, etc. Supply and demand has driven those prices ridiculously higher. Why? Gold players don't yield the profit, so MT sellers have no other source. Ironically, 2K only starts players with Bronze badges, so we have no choice but to pursue silver and gold badges. So again 2K puts the community in a double whammy position; low pack odds and bronze-only badges even on its best players. Michael Jordan, starting off with Bronze's only???

My only suggestion is offer an alternative card guaranteeing subscription (at a price) that guarantees all cards or specific groupings. Let the community purchase that subscription-type from 2K versus using 3rd party MT bulk sellers to satisfy their needs.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #40
Rookie

MT illegal purchasing can be solved by going the FIFA way and establishing price ranges, but this would require some actual work from their side and it has become clear that the devs for MyTeam bad.

2k releasing these diamonds is ridiculous and everyone would be ok with diamonds that actually made sense.

One thing I thought was a clever idea was the dynamics rating cards, which in turn have been a flop and limits future content (e.g. All-Star) Kawhi Leonard or Paul George will probably have ratings close to their dynamics now.

Moments cards should be based of the highest rated card of the player in the game and increase the stats that are suitable for the "moment" of the card.

The lack of strategy by 2k for this mode has decreased my will to play the game.

Apart from the reward in Domination, I do not have any amethyst and I'm slowly going through RTTP now (don't have much time to play). On the third seed now and facing all amethyst teams every single time.

I'll probably be the only one, but my request would be more playable gold cards. Give people the all powerful amethysts and diamonds and whatever other Gem they can name, but give us playable gold cards. Another personal request give us TBT Kirilenko with the right badges and so many other players that were made useless because they have no plays, wrong badges, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »