Home

MLB The Show 16: The Little Things in This Year's Game

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16: The Little Things in This Year's Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB The Show 16: The Little Things in This Year's Game

In the latest stream, some MLB 16 The Show developers revealed some of the "little things" we can expect to see improved this year.

-The Operation Sports community got some love from the developers when they (re)introduced "Sounds of the Show" on the PS4. I am excited to see customized soundtracks, walk-up music and chants return because these things really help create an authentic atmosphere. The feature has been sorely missed this generation, and its inclusion seems like a real labor of love for the developers.

-Sounds of the Show looks to be as fully featured as we remember, and doesn't seem too difficult to use. The number of tracks and sounds seems suitable for most users, and using a webcam or other device for chants is a reasonable hurdle to clear.

-Interactive and context-sensitive tutorials are something all games should have. While this might not be the biggest addition for longtime users, those of us with kids appreciate the help they provide for the youngest fans.

Read More - MLB The Show 16: The Little Things in This Year's Game
Platform: PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: MLB The Show 16: The Little Things in This Year's Game

Isn't there already a thread about this?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Rookie

Joho16's Arena

OVR: 1
Looking forward to the release. Always a great time and a sign that Spring is near!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
I haven't been paying too much attention this cycle, but they ever announce anything about new guys in the booth? Love Matty V., but I'd like to hear somebody else. I don't mind Lyons, but Karros is cringe-worthy.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
I haven't been paying too much attention this cycle, but they ever announce anything about new guys in the booth? Love Matty V., but I'd like to hear somebody else. I don't mind Lyons, but Karros is cringe-worthy.
Not blasting you specifically here, just the idea in general. Why do people want to change the people so bad? Think of how long these guys have been in the "booth" on this game. Now think of how many lines they have added year by year. If SCEA were to switch the announcing team, they would need to start completely from scratch, so yes, we would have new voices, but commentary would take a HUGE step back as there is only so much content that can be added in one development cycle.

I think maybe a better solution is to continue to revamp how and when the lines these guys have laid down are implemented. For example, last year one of the additions is Matt cutting off whoever is talking (hilariously sometimes himself) at the end of an inning..."we'll have to leave it right there"

Adding things like this and maybe some more natural back and forth and anecdotal conversations would be preferable to having to start from scratch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
Not blasting you specifically here, just the idea in general. Why do people want to change the people so bad? Think of how long these guys have been in the "booth" on this game. Now think of how many lines they have added year by year. If SCEA were to switch the announcing team, they would need to start completely from scratch, so yes, we would have new voices, but commentary would take a HUGE step back as there is only so much content that can be added in one development cycle.

I think maybe a better solution is to continue to revamp how and when the lines these guys have laid down are implemented. For example, last year one of the additions is Matt cutting off whoever is talking (hilariously sometimes himself) at the end of an inning..."we'll have to leave it right there"

Adding things like this and maybe some more natural back and forth and anecdotal conversations would be preferable to having to start from scratch.
For me, it's nice to change it up every once in a while. It's not that I don't think they're good, it's merely to have a fresh perspective of the action. The same recycled lines year after year are a complete bore and this part of the game is in need of a makeover. Is anyone really that enthralled by the boring monotoned Eric Karros? I cringe anytime he chimes in and drones on and on, it's Campbell-worthy. Steve Lyons has a little conviction behind his lines and Matty V.'s dry humor is great, and I love him as the play-by-play, but I would like to see some more enthusiasm in key moments. Genuine excitement (which is probably very hard to capture when not in the moment, I'll admit) is needed overall.

That said, I'm down with revamping lines and stitching them into more of a conversation, but I think even then you'd have to record said lines, when it might be easier to start anew with a fresh team and have them come into it like that, rather than trying top pigeon-hole a few lines here and there into combine them into a pseudo-conversation.

In the end, I can always mute them now that we have SOTS back
Old 02-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
For me, it's nice to change it up every once in a while. It's not that I don't think they're good, it's merely to have a fresh perspective of the action. The same recycled lines year after year are a complete bore and this part of the game is in need of a makeover. Is anyone really that enthralled by the boring monotoned Eric Karros? I cringe anytime he chimes in and drones on and on, it's Campbell-worthy. Steve Lyons has a little conviction behind his lines and Matty V.'s dry humor is great, and I love him as the play-by-play, but I would like to see some more enthusiasm in key moments. Genuine excitement (which is probably very hard to capture when not in the moment, I'll admit) is needed overall.

That said, I'm down with revamping lines and stitching them into more of a conversation, but I think even then you'd have to record said lines, when it might be easier to start anew with a fresh team and have them come into it like that, rather than trying top pigeon-hole a few lines here and there into combine them into a pseudo-conversation.

In the end, I can always mute them now that we have SOTS back
As has been stated before, the commentary/lines themselves aren't the issue. The issue is the programming and logic of the lines, that is what leads to them becoming stale and repetitive. In a stream last year they discussed that they wanted to improve in that area. I'm looking forward to see what they have done with it. The main thing here is, they can do other things to improve the commentary aspect without starting from scratch and bringing in a new broadcast team.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
Think of how long these guys have been in the "booth" on this game. Now think of how many lines they have added year by year. If SCEA were to switch the announcing team, they would need to start completely from scratch, so yes, we would have new voices, but commentary would take a HUGE step back as there is only so much content that can be added in one development cycle.
Totally agreed. Anyone who wants a new team in the commentary booth would probably end up disappointed with the results, at least initially. They've spent years building up an asset library, to scrap everything and rebuild from the ground up would be a massive undertaking and we wouldn't see the benefits for years to come.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »