Home

MLB 18 The Show Trade Discussion

This is a discussion on MLB 18 The Show Trade Discussion within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #841
Rookie

Hardworker33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 18 The Show Trade Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerendipity
Sure, I keep meaning to add it to the log. You're going to have to find the WAR for the player. We use Baseball Reference as they tend to have the most realistic WAR assessments. We will use Robinson Chirinos of the Texas Rangers for this example.

Link: https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...hiriro01.shtml

DISTINGUISHING AVERAGE WAR

For Position Players, we're going to scroll down to Player Value Batting. You can see that below but keep reading. We need to identify the player's WAR for the past three years. We use a 6 x 3 x 1 method of determining a fair value for the player. Thus we're going to take the 2017 WAR and multiply it by 6. Then we will find the 2016 WAR and multiply it by 3. The 2015 WAR is simply the remaining 10% so there is no need to multiply it. See below.

Okay now we have our WARS. We're going to discern our average WAR for Chirinos now.

2017 WAR: 2.7 x 6 = 16.2
2016 WAR: 0.9 x 3 = 2.7
2015 WAR: 1.8 x 1 = 1.8

Add: 16.2+2.7+1.8= 20.7
Now keep in mind, we were using percentages of each season to create our basis so now we need to divide by 10 (6+3+1). That brings Chirinos to a 2.1 WAR (rounding up from 2.07).

PINPOINTING TOTAL VALUE

Now we're going to create our total value from that WAR number. We've decided among ourselves, using Professional opinions, that the average worth for 1 WAR is 9 Million. So we're going to multiply Chirinos' WAR by 9 and then by the amount of years remaining on his contract. To do that, we're going to scroll down near the bottom where it says Salaries. See below.

Okay, now we know how many years Chirinos has remaining in his contract and how much he will be paid for those years. Lets do our math.

2.1(Player WAR) x 9 (WAR Worth) x 2 (Contracted Years Remaining) = 37.8M Total Value

There we see that Chirinos is worth a total value of 37.8M. But now we have to identify what his surplus value is.

FINALIZING SURPLUS VALUE

Surplus is identified using this method:

Total Value - Remaining Salary = Surplus Value

Using the image above, we can see that Chirinos has approximately $4.63M owed to him in his current contract. We can do our final piece of math now.

37.8 (Total Value) - 4.63 (Remaining Salary) = 33.17M Surplus

We will go ahead and round that fourth digit up or down. As it is a 7, we'll round up to a final 33.2M Surplus.

Let me know if you have any questions around that. I've tried going step-by-step to make it clear but I could have missed something.
Wow, thanks a lot!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #842
Pro

What would it take to get archer to the Giants. Using osm rosters
Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #843
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneyteam1212
What would it take to get archer to the Giants. Using osm rosters
I traded beach a top 50 prospect and another SP with A ponential and an outfielder with A potential. That enough for him?
Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #844
Rookie

pickle2002's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Charlie 'Chuck Nazty' Blackmon, to return home to the ATL.

Doable?
I got 172.8 mil surplus for Blackmon (wasn’t expecting that much!). Considering Acuna is worth 81.4 mil, I’m don’t think you can get Blackmon without giving up Acuna unless, you give up most of your farm (pretty much everyone besides Acuna).

I would wait until mrserendipity, bard, yankee or others have their say.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #845
Rookie

jdiaz891's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle2002
I got 172.8 mil surplus for Blackmon (wasn’t expecting that much!). Considering Acuna is worth 81.4 mil, I’m don’t think you can get Blackmon without giving up Acuna unless, you give up most of your farm (pretty much everyone besides Acuna).

I would wait until mrserendipity, bard, yankee or others have their say.
Im getting between 95.76 mil and 126.76 mil depending on if the options are picked up by him. I might be doing something wrong but either way he is a very valuable player so i think Rockies would be looking for a couple of top 50 prospects.

But like pickle2002 said, Id wait for those guys.

Last edited by jdiaz891; 04-19-2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: correction
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #846
Rookie

pickle2002's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz891
Im getting between 95.76 mil and 126.76 mil depending on if the options are picked up by him. I might be doing something wrong but either way he is a very valuable player so i think Rockies would be looking for a couple of top 50 prospects.

But like pickle2002 said, Id wait for those guys.
I was using the 6-3-1 method that mrserendipity posted last page. But I get the 126 mil that you got when I use his average war from the last 3 years.

There is a pretty big difference in value from 126 mil to 172 mil so I’m not sure which method to use here. Using the 126 mil you’ll be able to get him without acuna.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #847
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHFan412
Looking to acquire Manny Machado to play SS for my Pirates. Would Shane Baz, Steven Jennings & Kevin Newman cut it? If that's not enough, would replacing Jennings with Ke'Bryan Hayes work?

Thanks
Replace Steven Jennings with another high B potential player. Idk the values just what i think the value would be given the expiration of Machado's contract.

What do you think of this deal cause i'm also doing the pirates.

Pit Acquires:
Shohei Ohtani
Ryan Schimpf
Albert Pujols

LAA Acquires:
Starling Marte
Shane Baz
George Kontos
Chad Kuhl
Kevin Newman
Brandon Phillips
Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #848
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

162M is accurate on Blackmon. Crazy, right? Dude has been playing out of his mind the last two years.

This is what a deal with Atlanta would look like.

COL REC: Acuna | Wright | Soroka | Fried
ATL REC: Blackmon | Lottery Pitcher

For the sake of fun though, lets say Atlanta really likes Blackmon but simply can't see themselves parting with Acuna. Lets play with a three way trade that will probably have my boys Bard and Yankee yelling "WTF" in the morning.

ATL REC: Charlie Blackmon | Justin Bour
COL REC: Freddie Freeman | JT Realmuto | Mike Soroka
MIA REC: Brendan Rodgers | Kyle Wright | Austin Riley | Max Fried

Atlanta: This gives Atlanta an Outfield of Acuna, Blackmon and Inciarte which is a pretty huge upgrade over Markakis. They lose Freeman but get a pretty underrated first basemen in Justin Bour. You get taxed a bit for inner-division and have to include Fried in the deal to Miami.

Colorado: Interestingly enough, I think Colorado ends up with 5M less in surplus than they give up but what a deal this is for them. Freeman would be outstanding in Colorado. They get a highly coveted catcher in Realmuto as well. Blackmon is a loss for sure but they've already started working Dahl into the mix and he simply gets the bump into the starting lineup full-time with this move. Tapia fills the fourth outfielder spot. Then they add a Top 35 pitcher in the deal. Losing Rodgers isn't ideal but I'm sure they would be fine rolling out an infield of Freeman, LeMahieu, Story and Arenado.

Miami: A team that isn't anywhere close to competing deals two pieces they likely intend to move regardless and in return get one Top 25 Position Prospect, a Top 50 Pitching Prospect, a Top 100 Pitching Prospect and a Top 100 Position Prospect. I can't imagine they would have any issue swinging this deal from their side.

I think the biggest thing is the swapping of Blackmon and Freeman but so long as Atlanta is good with Bour, I think this is a really interesting three-way deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »