Home

Armor & Sword & Marino’s MLB The Show 18 Classic/Directional Simulation Sliders

This is a discussion on Armor & Sword & Marino’s MLB The Show 18 Classic/Directional Simulation Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #1809
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Armor & Sword & Marino’s MLB The Show 18 Classic/Directional Simulation Sliders

The Yankees look to avoid getting swept 4 games by the surging Tampa Bay Rays. We will be streaming this game live this evening around 10pm EST!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 06-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #1810
Pro

Re: Armor & Sword & Marino’s MLB The Show 18 Classic/Directional Simulation Sliders

I could sure use some help with my pitch speed dilemma. Had it at 6/7 and my Yankees were hitting around 6 hits a game and around 3 runs. Started over and first game against the Jays I score 8 runs on 10 hits (3 homers). Started 2nd game against Aaron Sanchez and scored 5 runs in 1st inning before I shut the game off.

Would lowering pitch speed cause this increase in offence? Did the offensive explosion just “happen” in the ebbs and flows of a season?

Just like everyone else, I want to feel like I’ve earned my victories as opposed to not thinking I’ve made it too easy. Yes, Yankees are more than capable of scoring lots of runs, but I’m not sure what exactly lowering pitch speed does.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #1811
Rookie

WrigleyFaithful's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess
I could sure use some help with my pitch speed dilemma. Had it at 6/7 and my Yankees were hitting around 6 hits a game and around 3 runs. Started over and first game against the Jays I score 8 runs on 10 hits (3 homers). Started 2nd game against Aaron Sanchez and scored 5 runs in 1st inning before I shut the game off.

Would lowering pitch speed cause this increase in offence? Did the offensive explosion just “happen” in the ebbs and flows of a season?

Just like everyone else, I want to feel like I’ve earned my victories as opposed to not thinking I’ve made it too easy. Yes, Yankees are more than capable of scoring lots of runs, but I’m not sure what exactly lowering pitch speed does.

Thanks for your help
Pitch speed absolutely could make a difference and often times is something overlooked by players when chasing sliders. Personally when it comes to finding the right pitch speed for me, I dont solely focus on box scores. I go by feel and timing analysis. Just because you backed pitch speed down a notch and hit well doesn't mean it's wrong. Are you consistently getting around on 95 plus to the pull side? Are you consistently staying back and driving offspeed down in the zone up the middle/to the opposite field? So how your spray charts, timing? Also, do you feel challenged? That's the feeling part I mentioned. I personally know pitch speed is just right for me when I find that perfect middle ground of being comfortable enough to read the strikezone but also having a good fastball get by me when I'm not anticipating it. I can hit 96, even pull it if that's predominately what a guy features. I also can face a guy like Brent suter who stifled me recently in franchise. His offspeed and command combo kept my timing consistently just late on his pedestrian 87 mph fastball. The way it should be. So I'd take a few games and analyze those things and see where you stand. Once you have the pitch speed where it appropriately should be for you, the results will normalize.

Last edited by WrigleyFaithful; 06-19-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #1812
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrigleyFaithful
Pitch speed absolutely could make a difference and often times is something overlooked by players when chasing sliders. Personally when it comes to finding the right pitch speed for me, I dont solely focus on box scores. I go by feel and timing analysis. Just because you backed pitch speed down a notch and hit well doesn't mean it's wrong. Are you consistently getting around on 95 plus to the pull side? Are you consistently staying back and driving offspeed down in the zone up the middle/to the opposite field? So how your spray charts, timing? Also, do you feel challenged? That's the feeling part I mentioned. I personally know pitch speed is just right for me when I find that perfect middle ground of being comfortable enough to read the strikezone but also having a good fastball get by me when I'm not anticipating it. I can hit 96, even pull it if that's predominately what a guy features. I also can face a guy like Brent suter who stifled me recently in franchise. His offspeed and command combo kept my timing consistently just late on his pedestrian 87 mph fastball. The way it should be. So I'd take a few games and analyze those things and see where you stand. Once you have the pitch speed where it appropriately should be for you, the results will normalize.
Thank you. I really appreciate your comments. The weird thing is that I was doing well when I was using pitch speed st 6/7 when I used OSFM rosters and before this latest patch. In fact I even tried pitch speeds at 7/8 for a few games. Now I use the awesome hybrid rosters and am playing post-patch. I like the challenge of 6/7 where you have to anticipate fastball in order to pull the mid-90 fastballs. If you are sitting on offspeed a low-90 fastball can get blown by you. Can still destroy a hanging offspeed pitch. I don’t think I’m striking out too much on 6/7 as I’m a fairy aggressive hitter, and my timing is usually pretty good. But for some reason after about 8 games I would get 5-6 hits per game, 3 runs and maybe a solo homer or 2. But dropping to 5/6 and everything I swung at landed for hits or homers. As I mentioned in my post, I shut the game after scoring 5 runs before I got my 2nd out in the 1st inning. My first hitter popped out and then my next 6 batters hit either a single or a double - just didn’t seem right.

This is driving me crazy and the only thing that is preventing me from diving into my franchise and not looking back.

Thanks again
Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #1813
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess
I like the challenge of 6/7 where you have to anticipate fastball in order to pull the mid-90 fastballs. If you are sitting on offspeed a low-90 fastball can get blown by you. Can still destroy a hanging offspeed pitch. I don’t think I’m striking out too much on 6/7 as I’m a fairy aggressive hitter, and my timing is usually pretty good. But for some reason after about 8 games I would get 5-6 hits per game, 3 runs and maybe a solo homer or 2. But dropping to 5/6 and everything I swung at landed for hits or homers. As I mentioned in my post, I shut the game after scoring 5 runs before I got my 2nd out in the 1st inning. My first hitter popped out and then my next 6 batters hit either a single or a double - just didn’t seem right.

I would put it at 6/7 or maybe 6/6 to just split the difference in your place and just go with it.

If I had to chose between potentially (and, I mean, 8 games is hard to predict from) low/tough-to-get-runs offense and smoking everything - I'd choose the former.

But from what you describe with 6/7 with how it makes you feel at the plate, I'd just go with that.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #1814
Rookie

WrigleyFaithful's Arena

OVR: 2

Something I never noticed until this year regarding pitch speed is that the users perception is camera indicative. I've never seen this discussed but it has become obvious to me this year. It's like the pitch speed values are effectively the same but the perception of them is different. Of all the hitting cameras, they are each in 1 of 4 categories of distance perceptions from the rubber to the plate. The zoomed/k zone being the closest sets. Next closest would be the mlb 15, retro etc. group. Then the mlb 16, wide etc. Finally the farthest being the fish eye cams. My favorite camera this year is retro. I like the look, feel, recognition, everything. The problem is on retro cam I have to have pitch speeds on 10/10 and I still have to be disciplined to wait just that extra fraction to hit 96. The perception is too slow for me so I cant use it. Fish eye on the other hand is smoking with 10/10. Heck I'd probably have to use 6 fastball speed with that. Fish eye though doesn't work well with my setup. I'm already sitting a good 10 feet from my TV and because of the increased distance makes it tough for me to pick up the ball out of the hand. So I've long settled on an in between. I use wide this year with an 8/10 setup. The balance is just right for me and the view is the closest to retro I can get without the percieved speed nerf. Maybe I'm late to the game but some food for thought for those that may have not known. For as long as I've been playing the show, I've never noticed until this year.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #1815
Pro

vertman's Arena

[quote=Armor and Sword;2049395826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertman

If you play on auto field with manual throwing you absolutely can take control of the 1B on a ground ball to them. I do this a lot instead of pressing the circle button to have them run to the bag. The only time I press the circle button is to toss it to the pitcher covering the bag.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports

Tried this today without success. How do you do it? Do you use the right or left stick?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #1816
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrigleyFaithful
Something I never noticed until this year regarding pitch speed is that the users perception is camera indicative. I've never seen this discussed but it has become obvious to me this year. It's like the pitch speed values are effectively the same but the perception of them is different. Of all the hitting cameras, they are each in 1 of 4 categories of distance perceptions from the rubber to the plate. The zoomed/k zone being the closest sets. Next closest would be the mlb 15, retro etc. group. Then the mlb 16, wide etc. Finally the farthest being the fish eye cams. My favorite camera this year is retro. I like the look, feel, recognition, everything. The problem is on retro cam I have to have pitch speeds on 10/10 and I still have to be disciplined to wait just that extra fraction to hit 96. The perception is too slow for me so I cant use it. Fish eye on the other hand is smoking with 10/10. Heck I'd probably have to use 6 fastball speed with that. Fish eye though doesn't work well with my setup. I'm already sitting a good 10 feet from my TV and because of the increased distance makes it tough for me to pick up the ball out of the hand. So I've long settled on an in between. I use wide this year with an 8/10 setup. The balance is just right for me and the view is the closest to retro I can get without the percieved speed nerf. Maybe I'm late to the game but some food for thought for those that may have not known. For as long as I've been playing the show, I've never noticed until this year.

100%

Camera view is the first thing you should get comfortable. Like you said, it impacts everything else.

I like using the Broadcast view as a base (I think the MIL or HOU Broadcast at that because of how the offsetting and such goes and how it adjusts when you edit).

Reminds me of the old Bases Loaded and such games when you did everything from the pitcher view.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »