Home

Is it me or did the CPU get WAY better

This is a discussion on Is it me or did the CPU get WAY better within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Is it me or did the CPU get WAY WORSE

I’ve been getting cooked lately by the CPU. Namely after the patch (but even leading to the patch). The AI in this game really is next level. It feels alive when I’m playing them. CPU is so good now I have to lower their shooting sliders from where it was pre patch (and where I’ve had it for months) because they’re just ruthless when they get hot.

The only downside I’ve noticed gameplay wise lately is that cpu now intercepts the ball at a ridiculous rate. It feels like 2K22 again in that regard. I can’t make any needle thread highlight passes into the paint as it just gets caught by a defender.

Edit: Changed title to reflect how cpu got much worse after launch (after it had gotten better for the first day).

Last edited by AIRJ23; 12-16-2022 at 01:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Is it me or did the CPU get WAY better

I literally turned the game off in a rage a couple of nights ago.

I'm normally really good threading the needle. Playing as Nash or Stockton, getting the ball to Amare or Malone for some awesome pick n roll action has always been a blast.

Last week or so, it's been sheer agony. Doesn't matter how open the space is for the pass, or what type of pass it is, the CPU just keeps magically picking it off, time and time and time again when it has no business doing so.

I even swallowed my pride and lowered the CPU 'hands' sliders but it made ZERO difference.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

CPU challenges me WHEN I’m not using the 83 Lakers lol. They just must be too good!
Old 11-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
Rookie

Zeke11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
I even swallowed my pride and lowered the CPU 'hands' sliders but it made ZERO difference.

I've lowered the cpu's Play Passing Lanes tendency to combat this. It seems to be effective.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke11
I've lowered the cpu's Play Passing Lanes tendency to combat this. It seems to be effective.
Is there a downside to that? Like worse defense or anything? I don’t want to deter the cpu from playing aggressive D, I just want them to stop magically grabbing all my passes. I loved how 2K23 had great defense but also I wouldn't rack up 500 turnovers through passing interceptions. But it seems the balance in that regard is off now. I’ll try playing with those sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
Rookie

dnikafoeno's Arena

Okay glad I'm not the only one seeing this! Even when I get a lead it's not as safe lol I've even seen some new animations happen definitely enjoying it though.

I'm in the same boat with the flashy highlight passes too.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm modestly concerned with how difficult it was to get an edge on defenders off the dribble last game (post-patch). I lowered CPU on-ball defense to zero and that allowed for some other ways to score but "slipping past" a defender with a live dribble still seemed to lead to mostly stonewalling.

For years now, my least favorite 2K tendency has been those times where they implement a wide "stone wall" cone across the board to disallow ballhandlers from being able to naturally elude CPU defenders one on one. So much about one-on-one play in basketball is about those "kind of" edges as opposed to the working yourself into a super wide open opportunity.

I'm not ready to go all in on this observation yet though, as Isiah Thomas was mostly guarded by Maurice Cheeks last game, so that could help explain things. But I swear I also saw some of those defensive "mirror" movements that I've seen and hated in recent 2K's, where the defender seems to be able to magically read my controller input and drop themselves perfectly into position to both contest my jumper and take away my drive.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:39 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

CPU offense has definitely improved as far as execution. There was something put in as far as coaching game plans, in addition to some sets being implemented that probably has something to do with it.

Game is in a pretty sweet spot where a challenge is presented without feeling cheesy or too restrictive movement wise…

Really fun game right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »