Home

Strategies for beating the 2-3 Zone in PNO or Online MyLeague

This is a discussion on Strategies for beating the 2-3 Zone in PNO or Online MyLeague within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1

I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere as I looked, but couldn't find anything.

I am playing in an Online MyLeague and everyone is running a 2-3 zone. I understand the principles of beating a zone in real life (attack the elbows, catch and look opposite, attack in transition...etc.), but the challenge I have is where my guys setup. Even in the 2-3 zone freestlyle offense, my shooters above the break feel too far off the line. I also think the defense has insane recovery time to challenge shots. When you add in the issues with passing, I am struggling to score effectively. It is also a factor that we play on HoF, so I need to get better on my shooting timing.

I am looking for any guidance (plays that put guys in the right position, offensive settings..etc) on how to best attack the 2-3.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Strategies for beating the 2-3 Zone in PNO or Online MyLeague

I will also add....I tried searching for videos on youtube of how to beat the zone, but all of them were focused on Rec and that doesn't really help when I can't control where all 5 guys are on the court.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0

In years past we were playing Team Pro-Am consistently and everyone ran a 2-3 zone. The only way to beat a good zone is to run Pick and Rolls. You have to make the defense move. Since you're probably playing against more AI than user input the CPU should be easier to confuse.

Especially this year I find the PNR very exploitable.

Obviously if the roll man has an easy basket at the rim, you give it to him. But there are some 2nd and 3rd level reads you can make.

1st scenario is a high pick and roll on either wing. Well say left wing this example.

If I run the pick behind the 3point line, I'll typically take the screen and hold L2 when I get to the elbow as the ball handler. This lets me get better alley oops animations to the roller, but it also sets me up to make Quick flashy passes out to the perimeter.

When the roller dives, if you wait just a second you'll see a help defender run into the paint to try and stop the roller. This is when you can skip pass to a player on the wing or in the corner on the weak side. Especially if they're in Zone or especially if they don't have Defense set to Stay Home the 2nd and 3rd level reads of the PNR should break that D.

Also helps if the ball handler can shoot. A lot of times the CPU wants to go under the screen even when I'm shooting 50 percent from deep.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:26 AM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
The only way to beat a good zone is to run Pick and Rolls. You have to make the defense move.
That is really funny as in real life, the 2-3 zone really shines against pick and rolls as they are basically useless.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
That is really funny as in real life, the 2-3 zone really shines against pick and rolls as they are basically useless.

https://youtu.be/zW8Rbimjh88

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #6
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
https://youtu.be/zW8Rbimjh88

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
but is this really the result of the screen or is this more of a general vulnerability of the 2-3 zone? as soon as the ball enters the highpost area, a 2-3 zone collapses and you are 1-2 passes away from getting a good look. you could also just beat your man without a pick or pass to someone manning the highpost.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

I find beating zone easy when calling plays and overloading one side of the floor. Basically bending the defense and forcing 3 defenders to cover 3 or 4 of my offensive players. So naturally I would suggest sets with 1-3-1 alignments or the triangle offense .
Old 12-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Coaching basketball, I've learned that you start by having a front alignment opposite of what the zone is. So if it's a 2-3, you want 3 guards up front. 3-2 you want 2 guards up.

Then, you'll always want bigs in the middle & short corner to help collapse the D.

If you can get it to the middle, your first look should be the high low pass, or backside pass.

Irl, the guards should always reclocate once the pass is made to the middle or short corner.

It's simple stuff, but there's not a freelance that I like in this game that replicates what I do irl, except maybe the Princeton Chin, but it's still really clunky.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »