Home

Am I the only one who has the feeling the Franchise ship has no captain?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who has the feeling the Franchise ship has no captain? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Am I the only one who has the feeling the Franchise ship has no captain?

There are issues with franchise that were patched out of the game and have now returned.

For example in franchise mode if you tell a batter to bunt he will try to bunt every pitch. That had been a problem but was fixed so he only bunted at strikes. Now the glitch is back in the game.

Pitcher fatigue used to have no impact on performance. A pitcher with no stamina would keep on pitching with no noticeable impact. That was patched to that at 25% of fatigue the attributes would decline progressively as he got more fatigued. I've played 100 games in manage mode and I see no negative impact.

At one time you didn't have to tell a runner on a 3-2 pitch/2 out/force play to run. He would automatically run. Now that is glitched and you have to tell him to run.

If the AI expects a user controlled batter to bunt there is no way to tell him to swing away. If you don't tell him to bunt he will stand and take pitch after pitch.

An example with quirks. Manny Machado has a clutch rating of 99 and a quirk that says table setter - performs better when no runners are on. 99 is the maximum rating.

I won't mention carry over saves which used to be in the game and are now gone. Oops - I mentioned it.

Submit bug reports and nothing happens.

It's a great game but frustrating at the lack of attention to this mode. The red headed stepchild of MLBTS.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:58 AM   #2
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Am I the only one who has the feeling the Franchise ship has no captain?

Are you talking about manage only mode?

Sent from my thoughts
Old 05-20-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Sounds more like manage only mode issues instead of franchise mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #4
Rookie

Clutch rating is only for RISP. Table setter is when no one is on. These are two completely different things, and not related whatsoever like you think. Table setter will increase his ability to get on when there is no one on and does not effect clutch.
Old 05-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

Manage mode never had automatic runner on two out full counts. You always had to tell the runner to run. I've been irritated by that for years. Irritating yes, gamebreaker no.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2023, 04:19 PM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

I feel you on your frustrations with the game. I also know you play manage mode and though it is in the game, I think it is very low priority for SDS. Just like retro mode. It's there. That's it.

It sounds like some of your issues are with manage mode and not franchise as I assume they can be replicated on exhibition mode playing manage mode.

Honestly I don't think manage mode will get much attention now or in the future as I imagine it is a very niche mode for the overall player base and their metrics show that. Remember, our franchise heavy user base here is the extreme minority and manage mode users are an even smaller percentage of that small percent of franchise players.

As far as y2y. Yeah it sucks. But, one of the lead designers did explain back in late 2021 (I believe that is when it was) why it was removed. If y2y holds back franchise, I would rather see y2y saves be gone and franchise make progress.

Losing y2y did suck. For most of us. But we have to accept it is gone. Even if we don't like it.

As far as being captainless, I don't think that is the case. On the franchise stream, it was very clear that the franchise designers are passionate about the game so they have a vision. Remember though that having a vision does not mean automatic additions to the game as there are many factors involved.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 05-21-2023, 08:53 AM   #7
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
There are issues with franchise that were patched out of the game and have now returned.

For example in franchise mode if you tell a batter to bunt he will try to bunt every pitch. That had been a problem but was fixed so he only bunted at strikes. Now the glitch is back in the game.

I havent bunted much and when I do its usually a pitch I know will be a strike and hopefully thrown low. I do know if you pick bunt for hit hes bunting no matter the pitch. I havent sac bunt enough to see if he pulls back. I'll have to watch for that.

Pitcher fatigue used to have no impact on performance. A pitcher with no stamina would keep on pitching with no noticeable impact. That was patched to that at 25% of fatigue the attributes would decline progressively as he got more fatigued. I've played 100 games in manage mode and I see no negative impact.

I think this work as intended now. Remember confidence plays a role in this as well. If pitchers confidence is really high programming is going to allow the pitcher to be more successful so to say. I will say it seems most times, that the managed team pitcher falls off faster when fatigued then the oppo pitcher is fatigued.

At one time you didn't have to tell a runner on a 3-2 pitch/2 out/force play to run. He would automatically run. Now that is glitched and you have to tell him to run.

Already addressed. It has never been in the game. MLBTS22 same, you have to tell them to run.

If the AI expects a user controlled batter to bunt there is no way to tell him to swing away. If you don't tell him to bunt he will stand and take pitch after pitch.

I dont understand this one, sorry. Are you trying to cancel a bunt after you call for it?

I won't mention carry over saves which used to be in the game and are now gone. Oops - I mentioned it.

Has been gone since PS5. Still nice to bring up if only for hope.

Submit bug reports and nothing happens.

It's a great game but frustrating at the lack of attention to this mode. The red headed stepchild of MLBTS.

EDIT: I tried bunt for hit and also sac bunt. Both attempts in the game the batter did for 1 pitch. Next pitch with no input, normal at bat.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

Last edited by forme95; 05-21-2023 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Bunts
Old 05-21-2023, 06:12 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
EDIT: I tried bunt for hit and also sac bunt. Both attempts in the game the batter did for 1 pitch. Next pitch with no input, normal at bat.
In manage mode you have no choice but to bunt if the AI expects a bunt. I've played 100 games this year. I've not seen a batter take a pitch when instructed to bunt.

There was a time when the runners would go automatically in manage mode in 2 out force play 3-2 count situations. It has been a few years but it was in the game at one point.

For those saying manage mode isn't part of franchise. When you select calendar to play a game in franchise there is an option to manage the game. That's manage mode. When I submit a bug report for manage mode if I don't put it under franchise where would I put it?

Another glitch this season is L2 = X is supposed to be "pitch to batter". The graphic still says "pitch to batter" but for some reason it now is pitchout.

My point is things get broken that used to work fine and then never fixed. Things that had been bugged and fixed have been undone and broken again. My custom uniforms even got bugged after patch 5. The blurb on patches says "no gameplay changes" and there obviously are changes. Perhaps SDS needs to take a look at who is accessing the mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »