Home

I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

This is a discussion on I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2023, 07:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

Anyone else feel like this game is way more scripted than past MLB the Shows? Obviously EA Sport's games for years were very predictable (scripted), I can't speak much for 2K, but this year's version of the show just seems like I can predict what's going to happen during the game by very miniscule clues early. Do I think there is a type of algorithm that plays out in games, of course, but it's kind of like that in real life too BUT this game just smells fishy and I didn't get that vibe in last year's version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Re: I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

Depending on your style of play, I could see where one would get in a rut and have a lot of the same outcomes play out. I have managed to stay fairly well unpredictable so I have run the gamut on every type of different game possible.
#44Syracuse
Old 06-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Depending on your style of play, I could see where one would get in a rut and have a lot of the same outcomes play out. I have managed to stay fairly well unpredictable so I have run the gamut on every type of different game possible.
My feathers are ruffled!!!

Sent from my thoughts
Old 06-01-2023, 08:44 AM   #4
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEBREAKER85
Anyone else feel like this game is way more scripted than past MLB the Shows? Obviously EA Sport's games for years were very predictable (scripted), I can't speak much for 2K, but this year's version of the show just seems like I can predict what's going to happen during the game by very miniscule clues early. Do I think there is a type of algorithm that plays out in games, of course, but it's kind of like that in real life too BUT this game just smells fishy and I didn't get that vibe in last year's version.
Show “fanboy” here……I can’t figure it out. There’s been enough concern expressed to just fluff off what’s going on with the game that you can’t dismiss it. Agree about last years game play. Something is off.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
Show “fanboy” here……I can’t figure it out. There’s been enough concern expressed to just fluff off what’s going on with the game that you can’t dismiss it. Agree about last years game play. Something is off.
I agree. I wouldnt say "scripted" so much, as I would say it plays different then MLBTS22 did. I dont know if it has to do with the new rules or what, but something under the hood is different. Obviously with the new shift, they have to program the game to balance that.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #6
Rookie

I feel like the "on/off switch" is on the extreme ends of the spectrum with this year's game. Where as in the past the "on/off switch" was more balanced and what I mean by the "on/off switch" is whether a player/team is playing to their ratings or near the equilibrium of range of outcomes.

The scripted label I'm throwing out there -

I basically know if I come out and give up 3-4 runs in the first inning - I'm 98% positive I'm going to throw 4-5 innings of shut out - 2 hit baseball from my starter after the first. The idea of scattering runs across 5-6 innings is a rarity. (Sliders for reference: Pitching on Legend: Hum pitch Control 4, CPU Contact 6, CPU Power 6, CPU Timing 6, Solid 5)

Hitting: I can be absolutely be deadlocked on a balls in games and swing through without contact. - I can usually tell early that "the game" is not going to let me make contact consistently until I get a bullpen guy in who is off. And I get it, that happens in real life & sports outcomes are made up of so many variables BUT it's just so predictable after one inning of play of what kind of game I'm about to play. Same thing with when I come out and tattoo balls all over the field - I might be off but the algorithm said I was due to be "on".

If you know how hot & cold streaks work - from my experience they really mess with the timing influence of your player's swing. If your cold, the timing window of a successful swing along with some minor attribute tweaks decrease your chances of playing to your normal abilities; of course if your hot you get a boost in attributes & your timing window gets bigger. I feel like the game is playing on a pre-determined hot/cold streak to influence the game - no matter how your team is playing. This is my opinion of course; I feel like they messed with the balance of the game which in our video game world would mean they catered to the online-non-simulation fan (and yes my settings are on simulation).

I do feel like they probably messed up some game play with using the Clutch Rating & I really feel like the strike zone is different on this year's game - I could be the only one, but it just feels so different & if they did alter that at all, the cpu hitting would have to be adapted within the operating function of the game. It's a phenomenal game, it just seems off in the weirdest way.

Thoughts?

Last edited by GAMEBREAKER85; 06-01-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #7
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEBREAKER85
I feel like the "on/off switch" is on the extreme ends of the spectrum with this year's game. Where as in the past the "on/off switch" was more balanced and what I mean by the "on/off switch" is whether a player/team is playing to their ratings or near the equilibrium of range of outcomes.

The scripted label I'm throwing out there -

I basically know if I come out and give up 3-4 runs in the first inning - I'm 98% positive I'm going to throw 4-5 innings of shut out - 2 hit baseball from my starter after the first. The idea of scattering runs across 5-6 innings is a rarity. (Sliders for reference: Pitching on Legend: Hum pitch Control 4, CPU Contact 6, CPU Power 6, CPU Timing 6, Solid 5)

Hitting: I can be absolutely be deadlocked on a balls in games and swing through without contact. - I can usually tell early that "the game" is not going to let me make contact consistently until I get a bullpen guy in who is off. And I get it, that happens in real life & sports outcomes are made up of so many variables BUT it's just so predictable. Same thing with when I come out and tattoo balls all over the field - I might be off but the algorithm said I was due to be "on".

If you know how hot & cold streaks work - from my experience they really mess with the timing influence of your player's swing. If your cold, the timing window of a successful swing along with some minor attribute tweaks decrease your chances of playing to your normal abilities; of course if your hot you get a boost in attributes & your timing window gets bigger. I feel like the game is playing on a pre-determined hot/cold streak to influence the game - no matter how your team is playing. This is my opinion of course; I feel like they messed with the balance of the game which in our video game world would mean they catered to the online-non-simulation fan (and yes my settings are on simulation).

Thoughts?
I sent in several photos where the CPU was so far out in front on some swings it was laughable. One of those many WTH moments. Being fooled on a pitch is one thing, but…..The CPU batter’s bat was full extension pointed right at the pitcher. The ball was a good 10 feet away. WAY too early. I’ve paid attention to that since then, probably since patch 1 as it was really obvious…..not seeing it now. They HAD to have made a timing adjustment, had to.

Setting aside all the problems I had out of the box…..I’m a clean screen guy. I had real problems finding the plate with my pitchers. So I turned on the ball fade…lol, (exaggerating a bit), but I can’t throw a ball unless I really tweak the stick. Doesn’t make any sense. The balance between the ball marker off and on shouldn’t be that dynamic.

Scripted….no, but, in my opinion does there need to be some tuning….yes.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

IMO there has always been some sort of scripted feel to this game forever in a couple areas particular. Then every so often we have a year like 2023 where something new arises that is suspicious.

#1- The two out hits by the cpu. This has always been a thing in the game. First two outs are a breeze. Then they all of a sudden become very difficult to get the third out. Now this year I haven't felt this is as prevalent as previous years. But that's probably because the ease of getting a strikeout this year compared to any other year. But it's for sure still a thing in 2023 and probably always will be.

#2- This is a new one for 2023 I have definitely noticed myself. Any time I bring in a new RP, whether middle inning or not. They give up a homerun first at bat so many times it's extremely noticeable. Very weird, and a new one I've never experienced before.

I would never say or think comeback code however. Only one year I felt that was a thing YEARS ago I can't even remember the year. That year if cpu was down, randomly your 2B would drop the ball on the transfer before turning a double play.

This would seem to always happen at the worst times. Let's the guy at 3rd score to tie game etc. And every time it happened the cpu enevitably rallied and became unstoppable until they either tied or took the lead. I haven't seen this since that year thank God. I remember a lengthy thread about a comeback code that year particularly as well so I wasn't alone.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 06-01-2023 at 10:35 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »