Home

The Truth About On-Ball Defense in NBA 2K Leagues

This is a discussion on The Truth About On-Ball Defense in NBA 2K Leagues within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2023, 05:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
The Truth About On-Ball Defense in NBA 2K Leagues

In NBA 2K, defense is divided into two main categories - On-ball defense and Off-ball defense. On-ball defense refers to closely guarding the player who currently has possession of the ball. It requires staying in front of the offensive player, cutting off driving lanes, contesting shots, and trying to force turnovers. Off-ball defense is played on opponents without the ball. It involves denying passes, providing help defense, rotating for rebounds, and disrupting the offense's motion and scoring opportunities.

Many NBA 2K league commissioners try to mandate that players use on-ball defense exclusively. There are rules prohibiting switching off the ball handler or playing zone defenses. However, strictly forcing on-ball defense can negatively impact a team's overall defense. From my experience playing NBA 2K competitively, requiring on-ball all game long tends to give a subtle but REAL advantage to offenses.

I've noticed that frequently switching which defender is on the ball during a possession seems to disrupt the CPU teammate defense. Whenever you switch to a new on-ball defender, there is a brief adjustment period where the new defender you've switched to gets caught slightly off guard. Even for just a split second, this appears to allow the offensive player to more easily drive past the new on-ball defender.

And since the CPU help defense reacts to the user controlling the on-ball defender, frequently switching on-ball defenders essentially catches the CPU defense off guard as well. The end result is the offense facing less overall resistance when driving to the basket or moving the ball.

It's likely some league commissioners "force" on-ball defense because they realize it can make life easier for offenses. Forcing users to stay on-ball PREVENTS opponents from locking down passing lanes or providing solid help defense. The frequent on-ball switching that then occurs when defenders CHASE the ball from player to player essentially creates defensive breakdowns that shrewd offenses can exploit.

However, a more balanced approach, using a combination of on-ball pressure and off-ball help defense, tends to produce better overall team defense. Choosing one on-ball defender and sticking with him for an entire defensive possession avoids those disadvantages from excessive on-ball switches.

I've found great success defending this way. If the offensive player I'm guarding tries to attack me, I accept the challenge and usually defend well in single coverage. I'm certainly not "running or hiding" from on-ball defense. But staying off-ball does allow me to deny passes and provide better help defense than constantly scrambling to switch defenders.

While developing skilled on-ball defense is certainly important in 2K, mandating it exclusively can artificially inflate offenses' success. A strict on-ball requirement seems to stem more from commissioners seeking to boost scoring rather than promoting true basketball skills.

Leagues should allow for more defensive flexibility, with a balance of on-ball pressure and off-ball team defense. This would lead to better competitiveness and more complete basketball from both offense and defense. Players looking for leagues that fit their preferred defensive style should not feel pressured into an overly narrow on-ball-only focus. Factor the defensive rules into your search for the right league and let your skills dictate your success.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2023, 08:45 PM   #2
MVP

michaelhawj's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Truth About On-Ball Defense in NBA 2K Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhozbak17
In NBA 2K, defense is divided into two main categories - On-ball defense and Off-ball defense. On-ball defense refers to closely guarding the player who currently has possession of the ball. It requires staying in front of the offensive player, cutting off driving lanes, contesting shots, and trying to force turnovers. Off-ball defense is played on opponents without the ball. It involves denying passes, providing help defense, rotating for rebounds, and disrupting the offense's motion and scoring opportunities.

Many NBA 2K league commissioners try to mandate that players use on-ball defense exclusively. There are rules prohibiting switching off the ball handler or playing zone defenses. However, strictly forcing on-ball defense can negatively impact a team's overall defense. From my experience playing NBA 2K competitively, requiring on-ball all game long tends to give a subtle but REAL advantage to offenses.

I've noticed that frequently switching which defender is on the ball during a possession seems to disrupt the CPU teammate defense. Whenever you switch to a new on-ball defender, there is a brief adjustment period where the new defender you've switched to gets caught slightly off guard. Even for just a split second, this appears to allow the offensive player to more easily drive past the new on-ball defender.

And since the CPU help defense reacts to the user controlling the on-ball defender, frequently switching on-ball defenders essentially catches the CPU defense off guard as well. The end result is the offense facing less overall resistance when driving to the basket or moving the ball.

It's likely some league commissioners "force" on-ball defense because they realize it can make life easier for offenses. Forcing users to stay on-ball PREVENTS opponents from locking down passing lanes or providing solid help defense. The frequent on-ball switching that then occurs when defenders CHASE the ball from player to player essentially creates defensive breakdowns that shrewd offenses can exploit.

However, a more balanced approach, using a combination of on-ball pressure and off-ball help defense, tends to produce better overall team defense. Choosing one on-ball defender and sticking with him for an entire defensive possession avoids those disadvantages from excessive on-ball switches.

I've found great success defending this way. If the offensive player I'm guarding tries to attack me, I accept the challenge and usually defend well in single coverage. I'm certainly not "running or hiding" from on-ball defense. But staying off-ball does allow me to deny passes and provide better help defense than constantly scrambling to switch defenders.

While developing skilled on-ball defense is certainly important in 2K, mandating it exclusively can artificially inflate offenses' success. A strict on-ball requirement seems to stem more from commissioners seeking to boost scoring rather than promoting true basketball skills.

Leagues should allow for more defensive flexibility, with a balance of on-ball pressure and off-ball team defense. This would lead to better competitiveness and more complete basketball from both offense and defense. Players looking for leagues that fit their preferred defensive style should not feel pressured into an overly narrow on-ball-only focus. Factor the defensive rules into your search for the right league and let your skills dictate your success.
Would 2k improve those in 2k24 ?
Old 07-15-2023, 10:45 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

The reason I think on ball defense is essential is because the way a user v user interaction works is how the game is designed. You don't get those kind of interactions vs the computer. It's always been that way.

I used to play in leagues, and yeah we all did on ball d, but you could switch off to where the ball was going. I'll never forget playing someone in a league (who may still be here lurking AHEM) who was the rockets and camped w/ tmac so I couldn't pass inside, then on offense, since I always play on ball, they just ran off ball screen plays for tmac all game. It's like heh.

To me, it's fair play to switch off at times, and most people haven't said 'You can't do that.' I mean my on ball defense % wasn't 100 back when VIP measured that, it was like 86 or something. But if you're using an off ball guy to clog things up, then that's a 'real advantage for the D.' It's not even as much of an advantage as it just destroys the whole flow of the game, imo. It's not even that it's cheesy as much as it really does just ruin the whole game, if you know how to do it. That's the level of 'respect' that dudes give when they say you play on ball defense, like I'm not gonna sht up the whole floor, I'm gonna take the challenge, but if you're say passing in to the C and the C is a beast, I'm totally cool with someone bringing who-ever on the double a little before or even if the ball is in the air.

But if you are taking up space as an off ball defender, that's bad mojo. That's the whole reason the rule exists. There are ways to exploit bots, too, but if you're trying to play 'sim' and someone is making you go vs bots and you are trying to clog things up, it gets real ugly real fast and it's not fun for anyone.

Assuming you switch mostly on anticipation or while the ball is in the air, tho, I don't see how anyone could be mad at you. If you are on ball 60% of the time and the other time you are roaming w/ the sf, then you are (this is gonna sound bogi) just making excuses for something you know is OP. People always make these on ball defense threads and I feel like I can already tell how they play. Nobody plays 100% on ball defense, like I said, but if you are saying "There is a place for off ball defense..." of course there is... if you use it right, you can absolutely crush anything people do.

But if dude is mad you switch and steal a pass or something cuz you anticipated it... it's like oh whatever bud. Or if you switch to bring a guy who is inexplicably NOT guarding his man back to his man... that's normal play. But if you're ever off the ball not doing an action, but hawking something, imo, you are violating 2k ethics haha. That's why they have that rule. Cuz it really does mess with the game. Cuz you can hawk and switch back ezez.

-Smak
Old 07-16-2023, 04:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhawj
Would 2k improve those in 2k24 ?
Here are some ideas to make the defense mechanics better in future NBA 2K games, both on and off the ball:

Refine the CPU logic for help defense and rotations. The AI teammates should provide better support when the on-ball defender is beat, while still being able to recover back to their man. This will make switching on-ball defenders less exploitable.

Add more defensive settings and adjustments to counter excessive on-ball switching. For example, a "deny ball" setting could allow off-ball defenders to more aggressively double team and trap the ball handler after a switch.

Consider some gameplay incentives for playing good off-ball defense - contests, deflections, etc. This will make it more viable as a strategy versus forcing on-ball pressure every possession.

Add officiating that calls fouls on reaching and over-aggressive on-ball defense to balance it with solid off-ball team defense.

The goal should be providing users more freedom to play on-ball or off-ball defense as they choose, with both being viable strategic options. Continuing to improve the AI and expanding the defensive tools will lead to deeper, more realistic gameplay on both sides of the ball.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
The reason I think on ball defense is essential is because the way a user v user interaction works is how the game is designed. You don't get those kind of interactions vs the computer. It's always been that way.

I used to play in leagues, and yeah we all did on ball d, but you could switch off to where the ball was going. I'll never forget playing someone in a league (who may still be here lurking AHEM) who was the rockets and camped w/ tmac so I couldn't pass inside, then on offense, since I always play on ball, they just ran off ball screen plays for tmac all game. It's like heh.

To me, it's fair play to switch off at times, and most people haven't said 'You can't do that.' I mean my on ball defense % wasn't 100 back when VIP measured that, it was like 86 or something. But if you're using an off ball guy to clog things up, then that's a 'real advantage for the D.' It's not even as much of an advantage as it just destroys the whole flow of the game, imo. It's not even that it's cheesy as much as it really does just ruin the whole game, if you know how to do it. That's the level of 'respect' that dudes give when they say you play on ball defense, like I'm not gonna sht up the whole floor, I'm gonna take the challenge, but if you're say passing in to the C and the C is a beast, I'm totally cool with someone bringing who-ever on the double a little before or even if the ball is in the air.

But if you are taking up space as an off ball defender, that's bad mojo. That's the whole reason the rule exists. There are ways to exploit bots, too, but if you're trying to play 'sim' and someone is making you go vs bots and you are trying to clog things up, it gets real ugly real fast and it's not fun for anyone.

Assuming you switch mostly on anticipation or while the ball is in the air, tho, I don't see how anyone could be mad at you. If you are on ball 60% of the time and the other time you are roaming w/ the sf, then you are (this is gonna sound bogi) just making excuses for something you know is OP. People always make these on ball defense threads and I feel like I can already tell how they play. Nobody plays 100% on ball defense, like I said, but if you are saying "There is a place for off ball defense..." of course there is... if you use it right, you can absolutely crush anything people do.

But if dude is mad you switch and steal a pass or something cuz you anticipated it... it's like oh whatever bud. Or if you switch to bring a guy who is inexplicably NOT guarding his man back to his man... that's normal play. But if you're ever off the ball not doing an action, but hawking something, imo, you are violating 2k ethics haha. That's why they have that rule. Cuz it really does mess with the game. Cuz you can hawk and switch back ezez.

-Smak
You raise some excellent points about the nuances of on-ball versus off-ball defense in 2K gameplay. I agree that a balanced approach is best - skilled on-ball defenders should be rewarded for their ability to stay in front of their man, but off-ball help defense and rotations are also a key part of basketball strategy.

The main issue seems to be when off-ball defenders are used primarily to exploit AI limitations and clog up the floor, rather than provide legitimate help defense. In those cases, it does undermine the intended user vs user interaction.

However, reasonable off-ball switching when anticipating passes or getting back to your man after a screen should not be frowned upon. As you mentioned, even top on-ball defenders likely aren't 100% on-ball every possession.

I think you make a great suggestion about keeping off-ball help defense moving - switching to provide help, then recovering back to your man. Standing in a passing lane the whole possession does seem to go against the spirit of competition.

Maybe the best solution is to continue improving the AI and animations to make on-ball defense more viable, while also expanding the off-ball defensive tools so help defense feels more dynamic. If off-ball defenders are active and rotating realistically, it maintains the flow better compared to just clogging a spot.

A balance of individual on-ball skill and great team off-ball coordination is what every defense should aim for. Having options to counter opponents who overly rely on one or the other is also important. There's certainly room for nuance in how leagues regulate defensive playstyles to promote enjoyable competition.

Thanks for adding these first-hand experiences - it definitely helps provide a more complete perspective on effective defense in 2K!

Last edited by guesswhozbak17; 07-16-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2023, 07:46 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhozbak17
You raise some excellent points about the nuances of on-ball versus off-ball defense in 2K gameplay. I agree that a balanced approach is best - skilled on-ball defenders should be rewarded for their ability to stay in front of their man, but off-ball help defense and rotations are also a key part of basketball strategy.

The main issue seems to be when off-ball defenders are used primarily to exploit AI limitations and clog up the floor, rather than provide legitimate help defense. In those cases, it does undermine the intended user vs user interaction.

However, reasonable off-ball switching when anticipating passes or getting back to your man after a screen should not be frowned upon. As you mentioned, even top on-ball defenders likely aren't 100% on-ball every possession.

I think you make a great suggestion about keeping off-ball help defense moving - switching to provide help, then recovering back to your man. Standing in a passing lane the whole possession does seem to go against the spirit of competition.

Maybe the best solution is to continue improving the AI and animations to make on-ball defense more viable, while also expanding the off-ball defensive tools so help defense feels more dynamic. If off-ball defenders are active and rotating realistically, it maintains the flow better compared to just clogging a spot.

A balance of individual on-ball skill and great team off-ball coordination is what every defense should aim for. Having options to counter opponents who overly rely on one or the other is also important. There's certainly room for nuance in how leagues regulate defensive playstyles to promote enjoyable competition.

Thanks for adding these first-hand experiences - it definitely helps provide a more complete perspective on effective defense in 2K!

No doubt, man, basically I can't imagine ever playing a versus game again w/ me and 4 bots (switching yakno) vs someone else and 4 bots, but if they actually made it interesting and fixed a lot of the issues to where it's not just exploiting bots, I might get down. A league would be a lot of fun, but as I said, it's just tough with the game as it is now. That's why I play 5s... but still end up playing with and against bots cuz quitters. Aiiye.

-Smak
Old 07-28-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

As someone who grew up playing in SIM leagues with 100% on ball defense rules through 2K10-2K23, i think the 100% on ball rules are out dated and i'll tell you why...HEAR ME OUT

NBA defensive schemes and strategies have changed significantly over the past 10-15 years. The league went from an isolation/1 on 1 league that valued individual defenders, to a league that now predominately switches, rotates on defense, and plays more TEAM-oriented defense.

Versatile and switchable players are heavily valued in today's game. Teams have constructed defensive schemes built on rotations, providing off-ball help etc. The only way for you to replicate this properly in 2K is by going off-ball from time to time.

Not saying that you should never play on-ball.....i still think mostly on-ball is the most effective way to play defense. But 2K is an NBA simulation and should emulate today's NBA.

This is why i hope they give us more control over help defense in the settings for 2K24, because that would allow us to primarily play on-ball defense and still have a good handle on how our help defenders play.

So to end, the game has changed IRL and should follow suit in 2K. The Nuggets showed this in the finals as their defense was built on rotating and moving off-ball to plug up gaps. Yes, having a league where users play on-ball defense no matter what may be more fun from the 1 on 1 aspect. But is it truly mimicking the NBA in its current state?
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 07-28-2023, 09:49 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
As someone who grew up playing in SIM leagues with 100% on ball defense rules through 2K10-2K23, i think the 100% on ball rules are out dated and i'll tell you why...HEAR ME OUT

NBA defensive schemes and strategies have changed significantly over the past 10-15 years. The league went from an isolation/1 on 1 league that valued individual defenders, to a league that now predominately switches, rotates on defense, and plays more TEAM-oriented defense.

Versatile and switchable players are heavily valued in today's game. Teams have constructed defensive schemes built on rotations, providing off-ball help etc. The only way for you to replicate this properly in 2K is by going off-ball from time to time.

Not saying that you should never play on-ball.....i still think mostly on-ball is the most effective way to play defense. But 2K is an NBA simulation and should emulate today's NBA.

This is why i hope they give us more control over help defense in the settings for 2K24, because that would allow us to primarily play on-ball defense and still have a good handle on how our help defenders play.

So to end, the game has changed IRL and should follow suit in 2K. The Nuggets showed this in the finals as their defense was built on rotating and moving off-ball to plug up gaps. Yes, having a league where users play on-ball defense no matter what may be more fun from the 1 on 1 aspect. But is it truly mimicking the NBA in its current state?

dudes who duno, this guy is a monster haha.

Just sayin', nice to hear more people chime in, too.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »