Home

AI Bullpen Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2024, 12:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
AI Bullpen Logic

My God we need this fixed in 2024. I was playing a game with current rosters, Braves Diamondbacks, and coming into the 6th inning of a 2-2 game started by Strider and Gallen is the long-reliever for Atlanta.

Is there a specific way people try to set teams' bullpens so this is not happening? I try to tweak the sliders for CPU relievers so maybe they don't pitch more than inning but I would rather they did not come into a close game at all.

Last edited by soxfanbs91; 01-10-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2024, 02:21 PM   #2
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Bullpen AI Login

Is this in a franchise game?

I'm not big on a bunch of slider adjustments, but in my franchise all year I've bumped up starter stamina one notch, and also made sure that no CPU bullpen had any pitcher with a high stamina rating and it works very well for me.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:21 PM   #3
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanbs91
*EDIT* Title should read: "AI Bullpen Logic" but I'm apparently an idiot haha

My God we need this fixed in 2024. I was playing a game with current rosters, Braves Diamondbacks, and coming into the 6th inning of a 2-2 game started by Strider and Gallen is the long-reliever for Atlanta.

Is there a specific way people try to set teams' bullpens so this is not happening? I try to tweak the sliders for CPU relievers so maybe they don't pitch more than inning but I would rather they did not come into a close game at all.
Yeah. It’s been a problem. Not sure how easy, or difficult it is, to program all the variables. One thing I do do is carry one less RP and only have one pitcher as set up. I use 30 team control and will occasionally check to see how many innings each teams RPs are getting. If one isn’t being used much I will swap LRP with MRP. No RP has over 30 stamina.

Doesn’t answer your question. Not sure what kind of real fix there is.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:30 PM   #4
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Also, you mentioned it was the 6th inning only, but what were their pitch counts? That also matters.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:36 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
Is this in a franchise game?

I'm not big on a bunch of slider adjustments, but in my franchise all year I've bumped up starter stamina one notch, and also made sure that no CPU bullpen had any pitcher with a high stamina rating and it works very well for me.
It was exhibition game. I too mess with the starter stamina as well. I use Quick Count and I feel like you need to bump up starter stamina if you use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
Yeah. It’s been a problem. Not sure how easy, or difficult it is, to program all the variables. One thing I do do is carry one less RP and only have one pitcher as set up. I use 30 team control and will occasionally check to see how many innings each teams RPs are getting. If one isn’t being used much I will swap LRP with MRP. No RP has over 30 stamina.

Doesn’t answer your question. Not sure what kind of real fix there is.
I just remember seeing on here where people suggested building the bullpen like: closer stays in the closer role, and then a couple of the best relievers move to LRP roles, and then a guy with higher stamina, place in a MRP spot. I can't seem to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
Also, you mentioned it was the 6th inning only, but what were their pitch counts? That also matters.
I can't remember but I think low-100s. It was quick count with stamina bumped up a couple notches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2024, 03:32 PM   #6
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanbs91

I can't remember but I think low-100s. It was quick count with stamina bumped up a couple notches.
I used QC last year but totally dumped it this year. I tried it again yesterday and my pitcher was at 81 pitches after 3. They totally screwed up QC this year. After ditching it I realized it really didn’t shorten the game all that much AND found it more engaging and fun. Flat out not going back. Even if they fix it.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:36 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: AI Bullpen Logic

Just manually increase SP stamina ratings (CPU only) by +10 before each game and revert after. Do NOT change sliders or anything else.

I've played 4.5 seasons in franchise this way and it adds a ton of variety to the outcomes and allows for better SP pulls based on situation.

/thread
Old 01-10-2024, 05:15 PM   #8
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Re: AI Bullpen Logic

I end up managing the CPU BP myself and moving controller over.

because 99% of the time if a pitcher can't make 5 innings the LR guy comes in even if he is tired to death. and gets overused even then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »