Home

Stat Based differences between The Show '23 and the Show '24

This is a discussion on Stat Based differences between The Show '23 and the Show '24 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2024, 11:40 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Stat Based differences between The Show '23 and the Show '24

Hey guys, some of you know that I am an avid MoM player for many years. The first thing I have done over the last 5 years is start up a "trial" Franchise to see how the game runs. I do this with no simming, no quick counts etc, just put the controller in the middle and let the game play out. I believe this is what the developers would have to do to get the game where they want it when they start adjusting things. I do this the same way as a former poster on here (Nomo) did it.

I do this so once I start my MoM franchise the results on the field should be as close to the real game as possible. Over the first 4 years and close to 900 games ran I have found two similar things each year that need "work". That is the lack of Errors and the lack of SB. Therefore my first trial the only settings I adjust are I set all 4 error sliders to 8 and SB Freq/SB Ability to 8. I have found this helps a little (more on this later)

Here are the results per team per game: 2024 54 games ran/2023 237 games ran (this is enough to see the differences)

REAL MLB 2023/2024 SHOW/2023 SHOW

AB 33.83/34.26/33.67

R 4.62/4.67/4.79

E 0.52/0.46/0.40

2B 1.69/1.67/1.90

3B 0.15/0.07/0.15

HR 1.21/1.21/0.96

BB 3.25/2.56/4.25

K 8.61/8.74/8.87

SB 0.72/0.34/0.41

CS 0.18/0.19/0.19

DP 0.72/0.95/0.91

HBP 0.43/0.29/0.62

AVG .248/.256/.251

OBP .320/.313/.346

ERA 4.33/4.44/4.58

WHIP 1.32/1.27/1.43

Some takeaways and notes: Last year there was way too many walks and HBP leading to high OBP, high ERA, and high WHIP. Those have all been toned way down which is great, but walks may be a little low. But I prefer a little low compared to 2 full walks per game too high so I like what they have done here.

Extra base hits have been dang near perfect this year. Batting average is slightly high but there were two slugfests similar to the LA/SD game this AM that had over 30 hits so I am not worried about that as I think that will be good with more games played. One thing I have not been able to pinpoint over the years is SB. I was hoping the game would adjust to the new rules and bigger bases in the real MLB but it is still way too low in the game (0.90 attempts MLB to 0.53 in game) This is hopefully something they adjust before next year as I don't think sliders will do the trick. Work in progress
Errors 8 across the board is still the closest we can get to real life

If you really look at these numbers I gotta say these guys put out an amazing game of baseball so similar to real life! It is impressive. NOW PLEASE FIX the camera issue in MOM so we can play Broadcast Cam as we always have

Just thought I would share these number guys

I forgot the coolest and most impressive stat of them all. If the total of the 291 games from above the last two years had the Over/Under set at 9. It would result in 133 Overs/131 Unders/27 Ties (Just shows the amazing variety we get)

Last edited by tgreer; 03-21-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stat Based differences between The Show '23 and the Show '24

This is really great info. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-21-2024, 02:14 PM   #3
Rookie

damion2721's Arena

Well done! Thanks man!
Old 03-21-2024, 02:25 PM   #4
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

Great work as usual TG.

Just to check that's using default sliders and roster?

👏👏👏
Old 03-21-2024, 02:37 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjoid
Great work as usual TG.

Just to check that's using default sliders and roster?

������
Thanks Ninjoid, hope all is well!

Default Rosters

All default sliders except these:

(I try to use all Default as I don't like messing with anything unless it is very out of whack and the E and SB numbers have not been close for several years without a little slider help unfortunately.)

The 4 error sliders to 8, SB Freq and SB Ability to 8 are the only ones that i moved to make things closer to reality. So technically 6 that are not default.

That is how i ended last years testing so I started with it again this year to see the changes. As you can see Errors are ok at 8 but still a long way to go to get the SB numbers where we want em. Don't think they made any under the hood changes like I thought they might to enhance the run game and the new rule changes. Afraid that will have to come from them as far as adjusting player ratings etc for SB to get close to the real number

Last edited by tgreer; 03-21-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2024, 03:09 PM   #6
Rookie

shawn306's Arena

I don't think the game really knows what an error is and what isn't so I think moving the sliders around there to get the numbers right just would not work for me.

Great stuff though.

The last 3 years I have basically gone with bumping up the contact to 6 and leaving pretty much everything else at default except for the trade slider which starts at 1 in April and moves up 1 notch each month till the last two weeks leading up to the trading deadline where I kick it up to 5. Anything higher than that you start seeing guys like Vlad and Trout getting moved.

And yes PLEASE dev's fix the camera in MOM. It is the only way I play the game !!!!
Old 03-21-2024, 03:18 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn306
I don't think the game really knows what an error is and what isn't so I think moving the sliders around there to get the numbers right just would not work for me.

Great stuff though.

The last 3 years I have basically gone with bumping up the contact to 6 and leaving pretty much everything else at default except for the trade slider which starts at 1 in April and moves up 1 notch each month till the last two weeks leading up to the trading deadline where I kick it up to 5. Anything higher than that you start seeing guys like Vlad and Trout getting moved.

And yes PLEASE dev's fix the camera in MOM. It is the only way I play the game !!!!
You are correct on the errors, I have caught several that they scored incorrectly, so it does make it tough. What you will get though is a few more bobbles and errant throws though that are more in line to real MLB. I am very against slider movement but for Errors I feel like this is just adding a little bit more to get the numbers in line.

Once I heard about the Broadcast Cam bug, i took a break from testing and went in to see what it was about since all i play is Broadcast MoM and tried a couple innings playing with the Backstop glitch Cam. It wasn't anything near what I am used to as I like seeing the pitch movement etc from the Broadcast Cam to know if my pitcher is hitting his spots that day or not. It makes a HUGE difference in managing strategy! I'm not sure I would enjoy that camera if they do not fix it. If you haven't sent in a bug report I would go do it!

Last edited by tgreer; 03-21-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM   #8
Rookie

Really cool info. Thanks for sharing! Have you done any comparisons looking at played vs sim games?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »